Wednesday, March 14, 2012

American Bible Society Daily Bible Reading and Daily Prayer for Wednesday, 14 March 2012

from The American Bible Society:


American Bible Society
Having trouble reading this?
Large Print Version Print this page
March 14, 2012

Psalm 9 (Good News Translation)

Come Together in Faith and Pray for One Another

Introduction

Psalm 9: This psalm is a prayer of thanksgiving for God’s saving activity. Several verses (3, 6, 13, 15-17) in this psalm refer to enemies, also described as the heathen or the wicked. Enemies are people who oppose God and who victimize others. God is praised as a righteous judge who cares for the oppressed, the poor, and those who are suffering.

Today’s Scripture: Psalm 9:10

Those who know you, LORD, will trust you; you do not abandon anyone who comes to you.

Today’s Reading

1 I will praise you, LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all the wonderful things you have done. 2I will sing with joy because of you. I will sing praise to you, Almighty God. 3 My enemies turn back when you appear; they fall down and die. 4 You are fair and honest in your judgments, and you have judged in my favor. 5 You have condemned the heathen and destroyed the wicked;they will be remembered no more. 6 Our enemies are finished forever; you have destroyed their cities, and they are completely forgotten. 7 But the LORD is king forever; he has set up his throne for judgment. 8 He rules the world with righteousness; he judges the nations with justice.9 The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a place of safety in times of trouble. 10 Those who know you, LORD, will trust you; you do not abandon anyone who comes to you. 11 Sing praise to the LORD, who rules in Zion! Tell every nation what he has done! 12 God remembers those who suffer; he does not forget their cry, and he punishes those who wrong them. 13 Be merciful to me, O LORDSee the sufferings my enemies cause me! Rescue me from death, O LORD14that I may stand before the people of Jerusalem and tell them all the things for which I praise you. I will rejoice because you saved me. 15 The heathen have dug a pit and fallen in; they have been caught in their own trap. 16 The LORD has revealed himself by his righteous judgments,and the wicked are trapped by their own deeds. 17 Death is the destiny of all the wicked, of all those who reject God. 18 The needy will not always be neglected; the hope of the poor will not be crushed forever. 19 Come, LORD! Do not let anyone defy you! Bring the heathen before youand pronounce judgment on them. 20 Make them afraid, O LORDmake them know that they are only mortal beings. 

Reflect

This psalm opens with a joyful expression of praise for God’s wonderful deeds, and the writer thanks God for personal deliverance (verse 4). What wonderful things has God done for you? Has there been a time in your life when you experienced God’s intervention to bring about a favorable judgment? How will you thank and praise God today?

Pray

I will praise your name, O Lord, with all my heart, and tell of all the wonderful things you have done. I will sing with joy because of your righteousness, and today I will praise and thank you for __________________. Amen.

Prayer Concern

Court judges

Tomorrow's Reading

Psalm 15: A liturgical psalm that spells out requirements for entering the Temple.
© 2011 American Bible Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment