Wednesday, March 28, 2012

American Bible Society Daily Readings and Daily Prayer for Wednesday, 28 March 2012

From The American Bible Society:


American Bible Society
Having trouble reading this?
Large Print Version Print this page
March 28, 2012

Psalm 41 (Good News Translation)

Come Together in Faith and Pray for One Another

Introduction

Psalm 41: The opening verses of this psalm affirm God’s care for those who are poor and sick and that those who are concerned about them will be blessed (happy). The following nine verses are the writer’s personal lament for forgiveness and healing, and the psalm concludes with praise to God.

Today’s Scripture: Psalm 41:3

The LORD will help them when they are sick and will restore them to health.

Today’s Reading

1 Happy are those who are concerned for the poor; the LORD will help them when they are in trouble. 2 The LORD will protect them and preserve their lives; he will make them happy in the land; he will not abandon them to the power of their enemies. 3 The LORD will help them when they are sick and will restore them to health. 4 I said, “I have sinned against you, LORDbe merciful to me and heal me.” 5 My enemies say cruel things about me. They want me to die and be forgotten. 6 Those who come to see me are not sincere; they gather bad news about me and then go out and tell it everywhere. 7 All who hate me whisper to each other about me, they imagine the worst about me. 8 They say, “He is fatally ill; he will never leave his bed again.” 9Even my best friend, the one I trusted most, the one who shared my food, has turned against me. 10 Be merciful to me, LORD, and restore my health, and I will pay my enemies back. 11They will not triumph over me, and I will know that you are pleased with me. 12 You will help me, because I do what is right; you will keep me in your presence forever. 13 Praise the LORD, the God of Israel! Praise him now and forever! Amen! Amen! 

Reflect

What is the psalm writer’s prayer (verse 4-12)? What verses express the writer’s trust in God? The collection of 150 psalms in the Bible (referred to as the Psalter) are divided into five books, and Psalm 41 closes Book 1. Each closing psalm in the Psalter concludes with a doxology (an expression of praise) like the last verse in this psalm (verse 13). What will be your doxology today?

Pray

Lord God, in your mercy, forgive me my sins and renew my strength each day. Heal me when I am ill and keep me secure in the shelter of your love and in your presence. I will praise you now and forever. In your holy name I pray. Amen.

Prayer Concern

Those who are recovering from surgery and illness

Tomorrow's Reading

Psalm 46: A psalm proclaiming that God is our refuge.
© 2011 American Bible Society. All Rights Reserved. 1865 Broadway, New York, NY 10023-7505

No comments:

Post a Comment