Tuesday, March 6, 2012

American Bible Society Daily Bible Reading and Daily Prayer for Tuesday, 6 March 2012

From The American Bible Society:


American Bible Society
Having trouble reading this?
Large Print Version Print this page
March 6, 2012

Psalm 57 (Good News Translation)

Come Together in Faith and Pray for One Another

Introduction

Psalm 57: This psalm is an individual prayer for God’s protection from enemies. It is attributed to David at a time when he was hiding in a cave while running away from King Saul (see 1 Samuel 24). The psalm includes two refrains (verses 5, 11) that attest to the greatness and glory of God.

Today’s Scripture: Psalm 57:2

I call to God, the Most High, to God who supplies my every need.

Today’s Reading

1 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful, because I come to you for safety. In the shadow of your wings I find protection until the raging storms are over. 2 I call to God, the Most High, to God, who supplies my every need. 3 He will answer from heaven and save me; he will defeat my oppressors. God will show me his constant love and faithfulness. 4 I am surrounded by enemies, who are like lions hungry for human flesh. Their teeth are like spears and arrows; their tongues are like sharp swords. 5 Show your greatness in the sky, O God, and your glory over all the earth. 6 My enemies have spread a net to catch me; I am overcome with distress. They dug a pit in my path, but fell into it themselves. 7 I have complete confidence, O God; I will sing and praise you! 8 Wake up, my soul! Wake up, my harp and lyre! I will wake up the sun. 9 I will thank you, O Lord, among the nations. I will praise you among the peoples. 10 Your constant love reaches the heavens; your faithfulness touches the skies. 11 Show your greatness in the sky, O God, and your glory over all the earth. 

Reflect

How would you describe the tone at the opening of this psalm? In verse 4, enemies are described as lions. In the psalms, enemies are often compared to lions or wild animals (see 7:2; 17:12; 22:12-13; 35:17; 58:3-6). What does this tell you about the kind of danger the psalm writer was facing? How is confidence in God expressed?

Pray

I thank you, Lord God, for your steadfast love and faithfulness. Great are you, God Most High, and your glory is over all the earth. Amen.

Prayer Concern

Those whose jobs place them in places of potential danger

Tomorrow's Reading

Psalm 59: A prayer for deliverance from enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment