Saturday, March 10, 2012

(Dutch) Reformed Church in America Lent Devotions for Wednesday, 7 March 2012

From rca.org:


Lent Devotions



Posted: 06 Mar 2012 06:30 AM PST
"The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul...But who can detect their errors? Clear me from hidden faults. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer" (Psalm 19:7, 12, 14).
I've been Ms. Fix-it for a long time. Somehow, years ago, I came to the conclusion that I had the solutions to all the problems my friends and family faced, if only they just listened to my sage advice—sometimes solicited, sometimes not. I earnestly had the best of intentions, but over time I've come to realize that my constant advising was really a distraction from facing my own issues and dilemmas, my own rough places and detours in the road.
Helping others is noble and beautiful. The Bible says we ought to do just that, but not to the point of neglecting and negating our own life lessons—that's what I was doing. God wants our attention and daily connection with us. It's very easy to lose sight and direction if we are focused on fixing others and not on becoming our best selves. I believe God wants to uniquely shape and mold us in transformative ways, removing our faults and flaws and mending all our broken places, if we are open and listening for his word.
Focusing so often and so intently on others kept me from focusing on my own growth, my own cocreation of an amazing life with God at the helm. I was busy fixing others while God was trying to speak to me, trying to gently show my errors in ways I could see and understand. Years into the process, I can now firmly say that "the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart" are in alignment with what God has for me. He waited patiently for me to listen and heed his perfect laws.
Dear Lord, please remove the chatter and distractions of the world so that I may more clearly hear from you. Empower me to fervently seek after you and to gladly do your will each day.
Marcia Fingal, member of Marble Collegiate

No comments:

Post a Comment