Friday, March 16, 2012

(Dutch) Reformed Church in America Lent Devotions for Friday, 16 March 2012

From rca.org:


Lent Devotions


Posted: 15 Mar 2012 07:15 AM PDT
When I first read this passage I thought to myself how comforting, beautiful, and simple these words are. The verses are so compact and efficient in their message. Instantly I thought of the big questions that we often have concerning life and our place in the world.
What am I here for? What is my focus? Is there a plan? What am I supposed to be doing? What do I need to do to be happy? How can I be a good person? Almost all you need to know to live a rich and fulfilled life is contained in these words from Ephesians!
"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God—not the result of works, so that no one may boast" (verses 8-9). We have been saved through faith. With faith all things are possible. Our salvation is a gift from God. This gift of grace isn't dependent on my action. I have God's grace whether or not I performed a good deed.
"For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life" (verse 10). We are all created in Christ's image, and we have Christ's goodness inside of us. We have all the goodness and ability to do anything that God places before us. This tells me that I am perfectly equipped to handle any journey God may ask me to travel. I don't have to have all the answers about what my life is to be; I only have to walk in the path that God has prepared for me and do the work he inspires and encourages me to do.
Have faith and your life is laid out before you. Be steadfast in faith, feel the grace and love, and follow the path God has laid before us. Aspire to be more like Jesus—faithful, humble, and open to the call of God.
God, come into my life and show me every day the path you want me on, so that I may do your good work here on earth.
Jenna Newton, member of Marble Collegiate

No comments:

Post a Comment