Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Daily Readings For Tuesday, 30 November (21 Hadar 2003)

From kidusmarkos.org and ethiopiantewahedo.com:

Daily Readings:
Week Two, Day Three

Saints/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated: + Kidist Mariam (Holy Virgin Mary)

Advent


The Tenth day




Morning Prayer



Make the sign of the Cross…



In the name of the Father....



Opening Prayer



O God, our refuge and our strength, who are the author of all goodness; be merciful to us, we pray that you may hear us and accept our morning prayer; and grant us the things which we ask faithfully we may obtain effectually; through Jesus Christ our Saviour and our master. Amen. Our Father…



Psalm 50: 1-23



50:1 The mighty God, even the Lord, hath spoken, and called the earth from the rising of the sun to the going down thereof. 50:2 Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God hath shined. 50:3 Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him. 50:4 He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that he may judge his people. 50:5 Gather my saints together to me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice. 50:6 And the heavens shall declare his righteousness: for God is judge himself. Selah. 50:7 Hear, O my people, and I will speak; O Israel, and I will testify against thee: I am God, even your God. 50:8 I will not reprove thee for your sacrifices or your burnt offerings, to have been continually before me. 50:9 I will take no bullock out of your house, nor he goats out of your folds. 50:10 Forevery beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills. 50:11 I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine. 50:12 If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof. 50:13 Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats? 50:14 Offer to God thanksgiving; and pay your vows to the most High: 50:15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shall glorify me. 50:16 But to the wicked God saith, What have you to do to declare my statutes, or that thou shouldest take my covenant in your mouth? 50:17 Seeing you hate instruction, and casts my words behind thee. 50:18 When thou sawest a thief, then thou consentedst with him, and have been partaker with adulterers. 50:19 You give your mouth to evil, and your tongue frameth deceit. 50:20 Thou sittest and speakest against your brother; thou slanderest your own mother's son. 50:21 These things have you done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before your eyes. 50:22 Now consider this, ye that forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver. 50:23 Whoso offers praise glorifieth me: and to him that orders his conversation aright will I show the salvation of God. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Psalm 51: 1-19



51:1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to your loving-kindness: according to the multitude of your tender mercies blot out my transgressions. 51:2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. 51:3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. 51:4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in your sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. 51:6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shall make me to know wisdom. 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 51:8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which you have broken may rejoice. 51:9 Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. 51:11 Cast me not away from your presence; and take not your holy spirit from me. 51:12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation; and uphold me with your free spirit. 51:13 Then will I teach transgressors your ways; and sinners shall be converted to thee. 51:14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of your righteousness. 51:15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall declarethy praise. 51:16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. 51:18 Do good in your good pleasure to Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem. 51:19 Then shall thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon your altar. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Psalm 52: 1-9



52:1 Why boastest thou thyself in mischief, O mighty man? the goodness of God endures continually. 52:2 The tongue devises mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully. 52:3 Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah. 52:4 Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue. 52:5 God shall likewise destroy thee forever, he shall take thee away, and pluck thee out of your dwelling place, and root thee out of the land of the living. Selah. 52:6 The righteous also shall see, and fear, and shall laugh at him: 52:7 Lo, this is the man that made not God his strength; but trusted in the abundance of his riches, and strengthened himself in his wickedness. 52:8 But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God: I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever. 52:9 I will praise thee forever, because you have done it: and I will wait on your name; for it is good before your saints. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Scripture Readings



1st Reading



1st Kings 9: 2-5



9:2 That the Lord appeared to Solomon the second time, as he had appeared to him at Gibeon. And the Lord said to him, I have heard your prayer and your supplication, that you have made before me: I have hallowed this house, which you have built, to put my name there forever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually. And if thou wilt walk before me, as David your father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments: Then I will establish the throne of your kingdom upon Israel forever, as I promised to David your father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel. He who receives the Prophet by the name of the Prophet shall receive the Prophet’s reward. Amen



2nd Reading



Romans 8: 12-17



8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. He who receives the Apostle by the name of the Apostle shall receive the Apostle’s reward. Amen



3rd Reading (Chant)



Psalm 55: 1-2



55:1 Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication. 55:2 Attend to me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise; Halleluiah! Stand and harken to the Holy Gospel, the message of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.



4th Reading



The Gospel of St. John 14: 1-7



14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. Thomas saith to him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh to the Father, but by me. If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. He that believeth in the Son hath everlasting life…



Concluding Prayer



Almighty and everlasting God, who are the sources of all good things, and cleanse our hearts, strengthen us in love through the Holy Spirit. Grant your grace that we may always be grateful for all the goodness you have given us and may we bear our trials with patience, today, tomorrow and always. Amen. Our Father…





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Day 10



Evening Prayer



In the Name of the Father……..



Opening Prayer



Merciful God and Father, we humbly ask you in our evening prayer to help and teach us how to love and respect to each other sincerely, and we may work for peace and welfare of those who need our help in our communities: and make us more like you in serving others. Amen. Our Father…



Psalm 53: 1-6



53:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good. 53:2 God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God. 53:3 Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 53:4 Have the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread: they have not called upon God. 53:5 There were they in great fear, where no fear was: for God hath scattered the bones of him that encamps against thee: you have put them to shame, because God hath despised them. 53:6 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! When God brings back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Psalm 54: 1-7



54:1 Save me, O God, by your name, and judge me by your strength. 54:2 Hear my prayer, O God; give ear to the words of my mouth. 54:3 For strangers are risen up against me, and oppressors seek after my soul: they have not set God before them. Selah. 54:4 Behold, God is mine helper: the Lord is with them that uphold my soul. 54:5 He shall reward evil to mine enemies: cut them off in your truth. 54:6 I will freely sacrifice to thee: I will praise your name, O Lord; for it is good. 54:7 For he hath delivered me out of all trouble: and mine eye hath seen his desire upon mine enemies. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Psalm 55: 1-23



55:1 Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication. 55:2 Attend to me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise; 55:3 Because of the voice of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked: for they cast iniquity upon me, and in wrath they hate me. 55:4 My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me. 55:5 Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me. 55:6 And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest. 55:7 Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah. 55:8 I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest. 55:9 Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city. 55:10 Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it. 55:11 Wickedness is in the midst thereof: deceit and guile depart not from her streets. 55:12 For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: 55:13 But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. 55:14 We took sweet counsel together, and walked to the house of God in company. 55:15 Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them. 55:16 As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me. 55:17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice. 55:18 He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me. 55:19 God shall hear, and afflict them, even he that abides of old. Selah. Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God. 55:20 He hath put forth his hands against such as be at peace with him: he hath broken his covenant. 55:21 The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords. 55:22 Cast your burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. 55:23 But thou, O God, shall bring them down into the pit of destruction: bloody and deceitful men shall not live out half their days; but I will trust in thee. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Scripture Reading



1st Reading



1st Kings 8: 51-53 or 50-53



8:50 And forgive your people that have sinned against thee, and all their transgressions wherein they have transgressed against thee, and give them compassion before them who carried them captive, that they may have compassion on them: For they be your people, and your inheritance, which thou broughtest forth out of Egypt, from the midst of the furnace of iron: That your eyes may be open to the supplication of your servant, and to the supplication of your people Israel, to hearken to them in all that they call for to thee. For thou didst separate them from among all the people of the earth, to be your inheritance, as thou spakest by the hand of Moses your servant, when thou broughtest our fathers out of Egypt, O Lord God. He who receives the prophet by the name of the prophet shall receive the prophet’s reward. Amen



2nd Reading



Acts 2: 25-28



2:25 For David speaks concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer your Holy One to see corruption. You have made known to me the ways of life; thou shall make me full of joy with your countenance. He who receives the Apostle by the name of the Apostle shall receive the Apostle’ s reward. Amen



3rd Reading (Chant)



Psalm 55: 1-2



55:1 Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication. 55:2 Attend to me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise; Halleluiah! Stand and harken to the Holy Gospel, the message of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.



4th Reading



The Gospel of St. John 14: 1-3



14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. He that believeth in the Son hath everlasting life…



Concluding Prayer



O Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour, who opened up our salvation through your death and resurrection, we ask you in our evening prayer to direct us in the path of true life, and write your law in our hearts. Grant us your wonderful peace throughout this coming night. Amen. Our Father….



The Synaxarium:

THE THIRD MONTH


HEDAR 21

(November 30)



IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER AND THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT,

ONE GOD. AMEN.



And on this day also died Saint Gregory, the worker of signs and wonders. This holy man came from the country of Rome, and from his earliest years he was taught philosophy and the True Faith. He was a true Christian, and he remembered the end of this world, and the never-ending abidingness of the kingdom of the heavens, and he devoted all his mind to the salvation of his soul. And the bishop of that city asked him to help him in the work of his episcopate, but he did not wish for this for he used to flee from the praises of men; after this he fled to the desert where he fought a good fight. When the bishop of that city died [the priests] tried to make him bishop, but they could not find him; and when the people were gathered together, and Gregory, the preacher of Divinity, was with them, a voice came unto them saying, “Seek for Gregory, the dweller in the desert, and set him over you.” And they sought for him but found him not, and they continued [to seek for him] for many days. And whilst they were seeking for him in the desert and mountains, he was nigh unto them though they knew it not. And when they found him not they all with one accord agreed and took a Book of the Gospels and set it over them, and this Book which they set over them they named “Gregory, the preacher of Godhead.” And the angel of the Lord appeared unto this Saint Gregory, and said unto him, “Rise up and get thee gone, for they have made thee bishop over them; and refuse not this thing, for it is from God.” And he was unable to resist the Divine command, and he descended from the mountain, and went to them, and they went forth to meet him with great honor, and they carried out his enthronement. And God made manifest through him signs and wonders innumerable, and because of this he was called “Gregory, the worker of signs and miracles,” because of the multitude of his signs and wonders. Now there was a certain small lake wherein two brethren used to catch many fish, which they sold for much money, and they disputed between themselves about the lake, each one saying, “This Lake belongs to me only.” When they were unable to agree about it they came to Bishop Gregory to make a decision about that lake for them, and he decided that they should divide the lake between them. And when they refused to agree together as he commanded them, and they would not do as the saint told them, but each continued to say, “I will take it for myself,” straightway Saint Gregory asked God concerning that lake. And the earth swallowed up the lake, and the water became dry land, and it remains so to this day. And the report of the signs and wonders, which he used to work, was heard in all the earth; and having finished his good fight he died in peace [and departed] from this fleeting world and entered into everlasting joy. Salutation to Gregory whose odor is sweeter then cinnamon, and who dried up a lake about which two brethren quarreled.



And on this day also died the holy father Abba Cosmas, the fifty-first Archbishop of the city of Alexandria. On this holy man came tribulation and much sorrow, and in his days great tribulation came upon the Christians. And about that time also the King of the Muslims put them to shame, for he commanded that the Christians and the Jews should not wear white apparel, and that they should distinguish themselves by wearing apparel the color of indigo. And in the days of this holy father many signs and wonders appeared, and among them was the wonder of the figure of our holy Lady the Virgin Mary, which was in the church of Saint Severus in the desert of Scete; this figure opened itself down on one side, and from it much blood flowed. And there were many figures [of the Virgin] in the country of Egypt from the eyes of which tears flowed in abundance, and those who have understanding and wisdom will know that this took place because of the tribulation, and trials and sorrow which came upon the bishops and the believers. And after this God gave good days in the place of those days which were bad. And this father taught the believers continually, and he strengthened them in the True Faith; and he sat upon the throne of Mark for seven years and five months. He died on the twenty-first day of the month of Khedar in the five hundred and seventy-fifth year of the martyrs (A.D. 859), and he was buried in a cave near Donosor. Salutation to thy upright episcopacy, thou on account of whose sorrow the figure of the Virgin shed tears.



And on this day also are commemorated the holy martyrs Alphaeus, and Zacchaeus, and Romanus, and John, and Thomas, and Victor, and Isaac from the city of Eshmunen. Salutation to you, O ye bright stars of Eshmunen.



And on this day also died Abba John of the city of Asyut. The parents of this holy man were glassmakers, and when this saint was born they brought him up under good admonitions and teaching; after he grew up they taught him the craft of the carpenter, and after a few days, when his father and his mother were dead, he departed to the saints Abba Isidore and Abba Bayman and adopted the garb of the monk; and he devoted himself so strenuously to fasting and prayer that his name was heard of in remote monasteries. Then the angel of the Lord appeared unto him and commanded him to go to his own country and to teach the people thereof the way of righteousness. Now he never left his cell except to receive the Offering. And one day two holy old men came to him, Abba Abzel and Abba Besoy, and before they had come near him he cried out from a distance, saying, “Peace to your visit, O my fathers,” and he addressed them by their names though he knew them not. And they marveled greatly. And Saint Sinoda, the pillar of Egypt, used to visit him often and embrace him. When the wicked pagans attacked the land of Egypt and war broke out, the Emperor Theodosius sent the governor of Egypt who marched against them. And he sent Saint John and took his cross, and the saint said unto the governor, “Fear not. Thou shalt conquer,” and so it came to pass according to his word. And war broke out a second time against Theodosius, and he sent [to enquire of] Saint John [how it would end, and the saint said unto him], “Be not sad. Thou shalt conquer,” and the Emperor Maximianus conquered them (i.e. the enemy). One day the Emperor Theodosius commanded [his soldiers] to kill the men of Asyut and to plunder their city because of the great work of foulness, which they had done. Now the angel of God made Abba John to know this before the governor arrived. When the men of the city heard of the emperor’s command they went up the mountain to Abba John [and he said unto them], “Be not sad, for God will save you.” When the governor arrived, he came into the cell of this holy man John in order to be blessed by him, and Abba John told the governor everything which the emperor had commanded; and when the governor heard this he was amazed and he prostrated himself before his holiness. And the governor had a son who was eighteen years old and who was possessed by the spirit of a devil, and he asked the holy man to heal him. And the holy may prayed over some oil and water, and having anointed him therewith he was healed straightway. Then the saint asked the governor to write to the emperor, and to abandon the slaughter of the men of Asyut, and the governor wrote a letter to him and gave it to Abba John. And having taken the letter and gone into his cell, he prayed, and a cloud of light came and it took up Abba John and brought him to the emperor, and when the emperor had a table prepared Saint John threw the letter upon it. And the emperor took it and read it, and he found that it was the letter, which the governor had written for Father John. And having lifted up his eyes he saw a cloud of light above him, and he was terrified. Then he wrote a letter to the governor in his own handwriting and under his own secret sign, [telling him] to abandon the destruction of the city through the prayer of Abba John. And the emperor threw his letter on the cloud, and those who were assembled there saw a hand receive it, and it went inside the cloud; and during that night the saint returned to the mountain; and on the following day he gave the letter with the emperor’s seal upon it to the governor. When the governor saw it he was amazed, and he praised God for the saving of the city, and he departed to his own country. And the fame of Saint John being noised abroad a certain noble lady, a kinswoman of the emperor, went to him to be healed of her disease, and by his prayer she was healed. Then the Emperor Theodosius died and the wicked Marcian reigned, and he brought tribulation upon our father Dioscurus. And Abba John sent him a letter abusing him and cursing him because he had changed the Faith, and after a few days God killed him. When Abba John was one hundred and twenty-five years old he knew that his [time of] rest had come, and as he was praying to God he fell forward on his face on the ground, and delivered up his soul into the hand of his Creator. And innumerable signs and wonders appeared at his grave. Salutation to John who was arrayed in holiness.



And on this day took place the translation of the body of Saint Deborah, who is also called “Tchebare,” of the city of Dalbat; her story is written in the book of her strife.



Glory be to God Who is glorified in His Saints. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment