Friday, November 26, 2010

Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Dialy Readings For Friday, 26 November (17 Hadar 2003)

From kidusmarkos.org and ethiopiantewahedo.com:

Daily Readings:
Week One Day Six

Saints/Feasts/Fasts to be commemmorated/celebrated:  + St. Estifanos








The Sixth Day



Morning Prayer




In the name of the Father and the Son…



Opening Prayer



O Lord Jesus Christ our God, who are the source and origin of our beginnings and our life. We humbly ask you to grant us your grace to offer you our morning prayer as a living sacrifice, today, tomorrow and always. Amen. Our Father…



Psalm 30: 1-12



30:1 I will extol thee, O Lord; for you have lifted me up, and have not made my foes to rejoice over me. 30:2 O Lord my God, I cried to thee for help, and you have healed me. 30:3 O Lord, you have brought up my soul from the grave: you have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit. 30:4 Sing to the Lord, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness. 30:5 For his anger endures but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. 30:6 And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved. 30:7 Lord, by your favour you have made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide your face, and I was troubled. 30:8 I cried to thee, O Lord; and to the Lord I made supplication. 30:9 What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare your truth? 30:10 Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me: Lord, be thou my helper. 30:11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing: you have put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; 30:12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to thee forever. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.



Psalm 31: 1-24



31:1 In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in your righteousness. 31:2 Bow down your ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me. 31:3 For you are my rock and my fortress; therefore for your name's sake lead me, and guide me. 31:4 Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for you are my strength. 31:5 Into your hand I commit my spirit: you have redeemed me, O Lord God of truth. 31:6 I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the Lord. 31:7 I will be glad and rejoice in your mercy: for you have considered my trouble; you have known my soul in adversities; 31:8 And have not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: you have set my feet in a large room. 31:9 Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly. 31:10 For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength fails because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed. 31:11 I was a reproach among all mine enemies, but especially among my neighbours, and a fear to mine acquaintance: they that did see me without fled from me. 31:12 I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a broken vessel. 31:13 For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side: while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life. 31:14 But I trusted in thee, O Lord: I said, You are my God. 31:15 My times are in your hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me. 31:16 Make your face to shine upon your servant: save me for your mercies' sake. 31:17 Let me not be ashamed, O Lord; for I have called upon thee: let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave. 31:18 Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous. 31:19 Oh how great is your goodness, which you have laid up for them that fear thee; which you have wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men! 31:20 Thou shall hide them in the secret of your presence from the pride of man: thou shall keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues. 31:21 Blessed be the Lord: for he hath showed me his marvelous kindness in a strong city. 31:22 For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before your eyes: nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried to thee. 31:23 O love the Lord, all ye his saints: for the Lord preserves the faithful, and plentifully rewards the proud doer. 31:24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Scripture Readings



1st Reading




Isaiah 38 10-14



38:10 I said in the cutting off of my days, I shall go to the gates of the grave: I am deprived of the residue of my years. I said, I shall not see the Lord, even the Lord, in the land of the living: I shall behold man no more with the inhabitants of the world. Mine age is departed, and is removed from me as a shepherd's tent: I have cut off like a weaver my life: he will cut me off with pining sickness: from day even to night wilt thou make an end of me. I reckoned till morning, that, as a lion, so will he break all my bones: from day even to night wilt thou make an end of me. Like a crane or a swallow, so did I chatter: I did mourn as a dove: mine eyes fail with looking upward: O Lord, I am oppressed; undertake for me. He who receives the prophet by the name of the prophet shall receive the prophet’s reward. Amen



2nd Reading



Romans 13: 11-14



13:11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. 13:13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. He who receives the Apostle by the name of the Apostle shall receive the Apostle’s reward. Amen



3rd Reading (Chant)



Psalm 128: 1-2



128:1 Blessed is every one that fears the Lord; that walks in his ways. 128:2 For thou shall eat the labour of your hands: happy shall thou be, and it shall be well with thee. Halleluiah! Stand and harken to the Holy Gospel, the message of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.



4th Reading



The Gospel of St. Luke 22: 39-46



22:39 And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him. And when he was at the place, he said to them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation. And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but your, be done. And there appeared an angel to him from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground. And when he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping for sorrow, And said to them, Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. It is easier for heaven and to pass, than one ….



Concluding Prayer



Lord our heavenly Father, who are the God of time, day and night: grant us your grace as we pray in your name for cheerfulness and a generous heart; may we bring peace and joy to our work-place, to our home, and to whom we meet. We ask this in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit; one God, now and forever. Amen. Our Father…O my Lady Mary……





The Sixth Day



Prayer




In the name of the Father, and of the……



Opening Prayer



O Lord our God, Father of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, who created all things, we ask and pray of your goodness on this day and its evening, bless this evening and this coming night for us and make it for us a time of rest and relaxation. We ask this in your holy name. Amen. Our Father …..



Psalm 32: 1-11



32:1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 32:2 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. 32:3 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. 32:4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. 32:5 I acknowledge my sin to thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions to the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. 32:6 For this shall every one that is godly pray to thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh to him. 32:7 You are my hiding place; thou shall preserve me from trouble; thou shall compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah. 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shall go: I will guide thee with mine eye. 32:9 Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near to thee. 32:10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusts in the Lord, mercy shall compass him about. 32:11 Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Psalm 33: 1-22



33:1 Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright. 33:2 Praise the Lord with harp: sing to him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings. 33:3 Sing to him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise. 33:4 For the word of the Lord is right; and all his works are done in truth. 33:5 He loves righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the Lord. 33:6 By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. 33:7 He gathers the waters of the sea together as an heap: he lays up the depth in storehouses. 33:8 Let all the earth fear the Lord: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. 33:9 For he spoke, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast. 33:10 The Lord brings the counsel of the heathen to nought: he makes the devices of the people of none effect. 33:11 The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance. 33:13 The Lord looks from heaven; he beholds all the sons of men. 33:14 From the place of his habitation he looks upon all the inhabitants of the earth. 33:15 He fashions their hearts alike; he considers all their works. 33:16 There is no king saved by the multitude of an host: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength. 33:17 An horse is a vain thing for safety: neither shall he deliver any by his great strength. 33:18 Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; 33:19 To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine. 33:20 Our soul waits for the Lord: he is our help and our shield. 33:21 For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name. 33:22 Let your mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we hope in thee. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Psalm 34: 1-end



34:1 I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. 34:2 My soul shall make her boast in the Lord: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. 34:3 O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together. 34:4 I sought the Lord, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. 34:5 They looked to him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed. 34:6 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. 34:7 The angel of the Lord encamps round about them that fear him, and delivers them. 34:8 O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusts in him. 34:9 O fear the Lord, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him. 34:10 The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the Lord shall not want any good thing. 34:11 Come, ye children, hearken to me: I will teach you the fear of the Lord. 34:12 What man is he that desires life, and loves many days, that he may see good? 34:13 Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking guile. 34:14 Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it. 34:15 The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open to their cry. 34:16 The face of the Lord is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth. 34:17 The righteous cry, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles. 34:18 The Lord is nigh to them that are of a broken heart; and saves such as be of a contrite spirit. 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivers him out of them all. 34:20 He keeps all his bones: not one of them is broken. 34:21 Evil shall slay the wicked: and they that hate the righteous shall be desolate. 34:22 The Lord redeems the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Scripture Readings



1st Reading




Isaiah 38: 17-20



38:17 Behold, for peace I had great bitterness: but you have in love to my soul delivered it from the pit of corruption: for you have cast all my sins behind your back. For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for your truth. The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known your truth. The Lord was ready to save me: therefore we will sing my songs to the stringed instruments all the days of our life in the house of the Lord. He who receives the prophet by the name of the prophet shall receive the prophet reward. Amen



2nd Reading



1st St. John 3: 1



3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knows us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. He who receives the saint by the name of the saint shall receive the saints reward. Amen



3rd Reading/Chant



Psalm 34: 1-2



34:1 I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. 34:2 My soul shall make her boast in the Lord: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. Halleluiah! Stand and harken to the Holy Gospel, the message of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.



4th Reading



The Gospel of St. John 14: 1-4



14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. He that believeth in the Son hath everlasting life…



Concluding Prayer



Lord God, who are our beginning and our end. We humbly ask you to accept our evening prayer and grant us a perfect end and peace throughout this coming night. Wes ask and make this evening prayer, through our Lord Jesus Christ, your only Son. Amen. Our Father….



The Synaxarium:

THE THIRD MONTH


HEDAR 17

(November 26)



IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER AND THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT,

ONE GOD. AMEN.



On this day is commemorated the translation of the body of the saint who is honored in all the ends of the world, John the Mouth of Gold (Chrysostom), Archbishop of the city of Constantinia (Constantinople). Now Saint John excommunicated the Empress Eudoxia because of the property of a widow, which she had taken from her by violence. And the empress made an excuse for herself, saying, “Kings have always been in the habit, if when they have been going about among estates they have seen any property which they wanted, of taking it, and giving the owner the value thereof, and I will give this widow the value of her estate”; now the widow did not wish to part with her estate. For this reason Saint John excommunicated the Empress Eudoxia, and he forbade her to enter the church, because she had not obeyed his command and let the property of the widow alone. And Satan came upon her, and she swelled with pride, and became furiously angry, and she gathered together to her the bishops whom Saint John had excommunicated because of their evil works and wicked faith. And they conspired together against him, and the empress drove him into exile to the island of the mountains ‘Adrakes. After a few years (days?) he returned to his office, and then the bishops gathered together and drove him into exile in the country of Armenia; and from there [he went] to a far city in the desert where he died. When Theodosius the Less, the son of Arcadius, reigned, he sent messengers and had the body of Saint John the Mouth of Gold (Chrysostom) brought to the city of Constantinia with great honor, and much singing, and music, five and thirty years after he was exiled, and it arrived on the twenty-second day of the month Genbot (May-June), according to what is said in the second volume of the Coptic Synopsis, and on the twenty-second day of the month Yakatit (Feb-March), according to the Greek books. And it is said that they laid the body in a coffer of afras stone, that is to say, marble, in the sanctuary, and great signs and wonders were made manifest through his body. Salutation to the translation of thy body, O John the Mouth of Gold (Chrysostom).



Now the Book of the Exposition of Alexandria, and the Exposition which Abba John, Bishop of the city of Keft, wrote, and the Exposition of the Melchites agree together in stating that the death of John the Mouth of Gold (Chrysostom) took place on the seventeenth day of the month Khedar. The Exposition of the Jacobites saith that he died on the fourteenth day of the month Elul, that is to say, the seventeenth day of the month of Maskaram, and that, because of the festival of the Cross they changed it to the seventeenth day of Khedar. The old books record that his death took place on the twelfth day of the month Genbot, but I think that it was the carrying of his body up to the city of Constantinia which took place on that day, and behold it is [here] written on the seventeenth day of the month of Khedar.



And on this day also are commemorated that blessed Abraham and his wife Harik, and the righteous men [who suffered martyrdom in the desert of] Wasif, and Abba Sinoda the abbot. Salutation to Abraham, and his wife Harik, and their child Kedus ‘Amlak. Salutation to the martyrs of the desert of Wasif. Salutation to Abba Sinoda the abbot. [And on this day is commemorated Walatta Petros the Ethiopian woman.]

Glory be to God Who is glorified in His Saints. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment