Thursday, March 1, 2012

American Bible Society Daily Bible Reading and Daily Prayer for Thursday, 1 March 2012

From The American Bible Society:


Psalm 84(Good News Translation)

Come Together in Faith and Pray for One Another

Introduction

Psalm 84: For the entire month of March we will be reading from the book of Psalms, the hymnbook and prayer book of the Bible. The psalms express a broad spectrum of human emotions – sorrow and joy, doubt and trust, pain and comfort, despair and hope, anger and contentment, a desire for revenge and a willingness to forgive. The psalms serve as models for praise and prayer, inviting us to share every part of our lives with God. We begin today with Psalm 84, a psalm that celebrates the joy of being and living in God’s presence.

Today's Scripture: Psalm 84:2b

I long to be in the LORD’s Temple. With my whole being I sing for joy to the living God.

Today's Reading

1 How I love your Temple, LORD Almighty! 2 How I want to be there! I long to be in the LORD's Temple. With my whole being I sing for joy to the living God. 3 Even the sparrows have built a nest, and the swallows have their own home; they keep their young near your altars, 4 How happy are those who live in your Temple, always singing praise to you. 5 How happy are those whose strength comes from you, who are eager to make the pilgrimage to Mount Zion. 6 As they pass through the dry valley of Baca, it becomes a place of springs; the autumn rain fills it with pools. 7They grow stronger as they go; they will see the God of gods on Zion. 8 Hear my prayer, LORD God Almighty. Listen, O God of Jacob! 9 Bless our king, O God, the king you have chosen. 10 One day spent in your Temple is better than a thousand anywhere else; I would rather stand at the gate of the house of my God than live in the homes of the wicked. 11 The LORD is our protector and glorious king, blessing us with kindness and honor. He does not refuse any good thing to those who do what is right. 12 LORD Almighty, how happy are those who trust in you!

Reflect

How many times does the word “happy” appear in this psalm? What brings about this happiness? What makes you happy? How is happiness experienced in your community of faith?

Pray

Almighty God, with my whole being I sing for joy and praise your holy name. You are my source of strength, and my joy comes from trusting in you. Amen.

Prayer Concern

Worship leaders

No comments:

Post a Comment