Saturday, March 10, 2012

American Bible Society Daily Bible Reading and Daily Prayer for Saturday, 10 March 2012

From The American Bible Society:


American Bible Society
Having trouble reading this?
Large Print Version Print this page
March 10, 2012

Psalm 63 (Good News Translation)

Come Together in Faith and Pray for One Another

Introduction

Psalm 63: This psalm can be read as a concluding component to Psalms 61 and 62 which we read the past two days. These three psalms comprise a trilogy of prayers that focus on trusting in God. In today’s reading, the writer expresses a deep yearning for God and describes the comfort and assurance of being in God’s presence.

Today’s Scripture: Psalm 63:1

O God, you are my God, and I long for you. My whole being desires you; like a dry, worn-out, and waterless land, my soul is thirsty for you.

Today’s Reading

1 O God, you are my God, and I long for you. My whole being desires you; like a dry, worn-out, and waterless land, my soul is thirsty for you. 2 Let me see you in the sanctuary; let me see how mighty and glorious you are. 3 Your constant love is better than life itself, and so I will praise you. 4 I will give you thanks as long as I live; I will raise my hands to you in prayer. 5 My soul will feast and be satisfied, and I will sing glad songs of praise to you. 6 As I lie in bed, I remember you; all night long I think of you, 7 because you have always been my help. In the shadow of your wings I sing for joy. 8 I cling to you, and your hand keeps me safe. 9 Those who are trying to kill me will go down into the world of the dead. 10 They will be killed in battle, and their bodies eaten by wolves. 11 Because God gives him victory, the king will rejoice. Those who make promises in God's name will praise him, but the mouths of liars will be shut. 

Reflect

What verses in this psalm attest to the psalm writer’s deep longing for God? How is this longing described? The psalm writer states that God’s “constant love is better than life itself” (verse 3). What does God’s constant love mean to you?

Pray

Sovereign God, my soul thirsts for you. Your constant love is my source of joy and comfort. I cling to you, and your hand keeps me safe. I will give you thanks as long as I live. Amen.

Prayer Concern

Those seeking to develop a closer relationship with God

Tomorrow's Reading

Psalm 6: A prayer for help.
© 2011 American Bible Society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment