Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Roman Catholic Daily Readings For 11 November

From CNA, USCCB, and Catholic Online:

Daily Readings:


Saints/Feasts/Fasts to be commemmorated/celebrated:

ST. MARTIN OF TOURS


THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 2010
St. Martin of Tours was born at Sabaria (today Steinamanger in German, or Szombathely in Hungarian), Hungary around the year 316. In his early years, when his father, a military tribune, was transferred to Pavia in Italy, Martin accompanied him. When he reached adolescence he was, in accordance with the recruiting laws, enrolled in the Roman army. From the first, he was attracted towards Christianity, which had been in favor in the camps since the conversion of Emperor Constantine.
His regiment was soon sent to Amiens in Gaul which became the scene for the most famous story about Martin of Tours. At the gates of the city, one very cold day, Martin met a shivering and half-naked beggar. Moved with compassion, he divided his coat into two parts and gave one to the poor man. That night, Martin dreamt that Jesus returned the other half of his cloak. When he awoke, he cloak was whole again. Martin, immediately sought baptism and not much later was freed from military service at Worms on the Rhine.
As soon as he was free, he set out for Poitiers to become a disciple of St. Hilary, already famous as a theologian. Martin first desired to see his parents again so he returned to Lombardy. Since the area his parents lived in was under the influence of the Arians, Martin didn't receive a warm welcome. Hearing that St. Hilary had been exciled from Gaul by the same heretics, Martin laid low on the island of Gallinaria (now Isola d'Albenga) in the middle of the Tyrrhenian Sea.
As soon as Martin found out that the emperor had lifted Hilary's exile, Martin sought him out and then became a hermit for ten years in the area now known as Ligugé. His reputation for holiness attracted other monks, and they formed what would become the Benedictine abbey of Ligugé. Martin preached and evangelized all throughout the countryside of Gaul. Many locals refused to let go of their old beliefs, and tried to intimidate Martin by dressing as the old Roman gods, and appearing to him at night. Nevertheless, Martin continued to win converts. He destroyed old temples and built churches on the land.
When the bishop of Tours died in 371, Martin was the immediate choice to replace him. Martin declined, citing unworthiness. In a ruse, Rusticus, a wealthy citizen of Tours, claimed his wife was ill and said she had asked for Martin. When the saint arrived in the city, he was declared bishop by popular acclamation. He was consecrated on July 4, 372.
St Martin then moved to a hermit's cell near Tours. Other monks joined him, and a new house, Marmoutier, was soon formed. Martin rarely left his monastery or the city of which he was bishop, but he sometimes went to Trier to plead with the emperor for his city, his church, or his parishioners. Once when he went to ask for lenience for a condemned prisoner, an angel woke the emperor to tell him that Martin was waiting to see him. The prisoner was reprieved.
Martin himself was given to visions, but even his contemporaries sometimes ascribed them to his habit of lengthy fasts. Martin died at Candes, Touraine around 397 and was the first non-martyr to receive the cultus of a saint




Psalm - Ps 146; 7-10

7 He preserves the truth forever. He executes judgment for those who suffer injury. He provides food for the hungry. The Lord releases those who are bound.8 The Lord enlightens the blind. The Lord sets upright those who have been thrown down. The Lord loves the just.9 The Lord watches over new arrivals. He will support the orphan and the widow. And he will destroy the ways of sinners.10 The Lord shall reign forever: your God, O Zion, from generation to generation
 

First Reading - Philemon 1: 7-20

7 For I have found great joy and consolation in your charity, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed by you, brother.8 Because of this, I have enough confidence in Christ Jesus to command you concerning certain things,9 but I beg you instead, for the sake of charity, since you are so much like Paul: an old man and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ.10 I beg you, on behalf of my son, whom I have begotten in my chains, Onesimus.11 In times past, he was useless to you, but now he is useful both to me and to you.12 So I have sent him back to you. And may you receive him like my own heart.13 I myself wanted to retain him with me, so that he might minister to me, on your behalf, while I am in the chains of the Gospel.14 But I was willing to do nothing without your counsel, so as not to make use of your good deed as if out of necessity, but only willingly.15 So perhaps, then, he departed from you for a time, so that you might receive him again for eternity,16 no longer as a servant, but, in place of a servant, a most beloved brother, especially to me: but how much so more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord!17 Therefore, if you hold me to be a companion, receive him as you would me.18 But if he has harmed you in any way, or if he is in your debt, charge it to me.19 I, Paul, have written this with my own hand: I will repay. And I need not tell you, that you are also in debt yourself, to me.20 So it is, brother. May I delight with you in the Lord! Refresh my heart in Christ
 

Gospel - Mt 25:31-40

:31 Then Jesus said to them: “You will all fall away from me in this night. For it has been written: ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’32 But after I have risen again, I will go before you to Galilee.”33 Then Peter responded by saying to him, “Even if everyone else has fallen away from you, I will never fall away.”34 Jesus said to him, “Amen I say to you, that in this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.”35 Peter said to him, “Even if it is necessary for me to die with you, I will not deny you.” And all the disciples spoke similarly.36 Then Jesus went with them to a garden, which is called Gethsemani. And he said to his disciples, “Sit down here, while I go there and pray.”37 And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and saddened.38 Then he said to them: “My soul is sorrowful, even unto death. Stay here and keep vigil with me.”39 And continuing on a little further, he fell prostrate on his face, praying and saying: “My Father, if it is possible, let this chalice pass away from me. Yet truly, let it not be as I will, but as you will.”40 And he approached his disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter: “So, were you not able to keep vigil with me for one hour
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment