Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity: Daily Readings For 22 Tekemt (1 November)

From kidusmarkos.org and ethiopiantewahedo.com:

Daily Readings





The First Day




Day 1



Morning Prayer



Opening Prayer.



In the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit, one God. Amen. (By blessing one’s face with the sign of the Cross), then one minute’s reflection in silence.



Opening Prayer.



Jesus our Lord and our Master, who so love the world which was created by you and you gave yourself up to death on the Cross for our sake. We humbly ask you to strengthen us by your grace and give us a heart willing to live by that same love, and hear this our morning prayer in your mercy. Amen. Our father. O my Lady Mary I salute you with the....



Psalm 1: 1 – 6



1:1 Blessed is the man that walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful. 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. 1:3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. 1:4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind drives away. 1:5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. 1:6 For the Lord knows the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. (This doxology is said after each psalm, apostle and the prophets, when they are used as prayers. Short pause.)



Psalm 2: 1 – 12



2:1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2:2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying, 2:3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. 2:4 He that sits in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. 2:5 Then shall he speak to them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure. 2:6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. 2:7 I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said to me, You are my Son; this day have I begotten thee. 2:8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for your inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for your possession. 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron; you shall dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel. 2:10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth. 2:11 Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. 2:12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…



Psalm 3: 1 – 8



3:1 Lord, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. 3:2 Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah. 3:3 But you, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. 3:4 I cried to the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah. 3:5 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the Lord sustained me. 3:6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about. 3:7 Arise, O Lord; save me, O my God: for you have smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; you have broken the teeth of the ungodly. 3:8 Salvation belongs to the Lord: your blessing is upon your people. Selah. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning...



Psalm 4: 1 – 8



4:1 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: you have enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer. 4:2 O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? How long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah. 4:3 But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the Lord will hear when I call to him. 4:4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. 4:5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord. 4:6 There are many who say, Who will show us any good? Lord, lift up the light of your countenance upon us. 4:7 You have put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased. 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for you, Lord, only make me dwell in safety. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning….



Psalm 5: 1 – 12



5:1 Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation. 5:2 Hearken to the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for to thee will I pray. 5:3 My voice shall you hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer to thee, and will look up. 5:4 For you art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee. 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in your sight: you hate all workers of iniquity. 5:6 You shall destroy them that speak leasing: the Lord will abhor the bloody and deceitful man. 5:7 But as for me, I will come into your house in the multitude of your mercy: and in your fear will I worship toward your holy temple. 5:8 Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness because of mine enemies; make your way straight before my face. 5:9 For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue. 5:10 Destroy them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee. 5:11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because you defend them: let them also that love your name be joyful in thee. 5:12 For you, Lord, wilt bless the righteous; with favour you compass him as with a shield. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning….





Scripture Readings




 
1st Reading




Isaiah 25: 1 – 5



O Lord, you art my God; I will exalt Thee, I will praise your name; for You has done wonderful things, plans formed of old, faithful and sure. For You have made the city a heap, the fortified city a ruin, the palace of aliens is a city no more, it will never be rebuilt. Therefore strong peoples will glorify Thee; cities of ruthless nations will fear Thee. For You have been a stronghold to the poor, a stronghold to the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat; for the blast of the ruthless is like a storm against a wall, like heat in a dry place. Thou dost subdue the noise of the aliens; as heat by the shade of a cloud, so the song of the ruthless is stilled. He who receives the prophet by the name of the prophet, shall receive the prophet’s reward. Amen. (This doxology is said after each reading of the Old Testament.)



2nd Reading



Acts of the Apostles 22: 12 – 16



A certain Ananias, who was a devout man according to the law and well spoken of by all the Jews living there, came to me; and standing beside me, he said, “Brother Saul, regain your sight” in that very hour I regained my sight and saw him. Then he said, “The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will, to see the righteous One and to hear his own voice; for you will be his witness to all the world of what you have seen and heard. And now why do you delay? Get up, be baptized and have your sins washed away, calling on his name. He who receives the Apostle by the name of the Apostle shall receive the Apostle’s reward. Amen (This Doxology is said after the reading of from the apostle’s books. But not during the Holy Communion service. )



3rd Reading (Chant)



Psalm 61: 1 – 2



61:1 Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer. 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry to thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. Halleluiah, sand up and hearken to the holy gospel, the message of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. (People shall stand up when the holy Gospel is reading.)



(If the priest is present during the morning and evening prayer.)



Priest shall say: The Lord be with you all.



People: And with your spirit.



Priest: The holy gospel which John preached, the word of the Son of God, or The holy gospel which Matthew, Mark or Luke proclaimed.



People: Glory be to thee, Christ my Lord and my God at all times...end. Or alternative.



Priest: the holy gospel according to St Matthew, Luke, Mark or John.



4th Reading:



The Gospel of St. Matthew 6: 5 – 6



And when you pray you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you they have received their reward. But when you pray go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.



Priest: heaven and earth shall pass away but my words shall not pass away, said the Lord to his disciples. Or alternative



Priest: this is the word of the Lord



People: thanks be to the Lord.



Concluding Prayer



Almighty, ever-living God, we humbly ask you to grant us your grace, so like good stewards responsible for all these different graces of ‘God, we may put ourselves at the service of others that are in need of our help today, tomorrow and always. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. Our father. O my Lady Mary I salute you with the....





Day 1



Evening Prayer



In the name of the Father and……..



Opening Prayer



Almighty, ever-living God, we humbly ask you to grant us your grace, so like good stewards responsible for all these different graces of ‘God, we may put ourselves at the service of others that are in need of our help today, tomorrow and always. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. Our Father. O my Lady Mary I salute you with the....





Psalm 6: 1 – 10



6:1 O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger, neither chasten me in your hot displeasure. 6:2 Have mercy upon me, O Lord; for I am weak: O Lord, heal me; for my bones are vexed. 6:3 My soul is also sore vexed: but you, O Lord, how long? 6:4 Return, O Lord, deliver my soul: oh save me for your mercies' sake. 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks? 6:6 I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. 6:7 Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxes old because of all mine enemies. 6:8 Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the Lord hath heard the voice of my weeping. 6:9 The Lord hath heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer. 6:10 Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As



it was in the beginning….



Psalm 7: 1 – 17



7:1 O Lord my God, in thee do I put my trust: save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me: 7:2 Lest he tear my soul like a lion, rending it in pieces, while there is none to deliver. 7:3 O Lord my God, If I have done this; if there be iniquity in my hands; 7:4 If I have rewarded evil to him that was at peace with me; (yea, I have delivered him that without cause is mine enemy:) 7:5 Let the enemy persecute my soul, and take it; yea, let him tread down my life upon the earth, and lay mine honour in the dust. Selah. 7:6 Arise, O Lord, in your anger, lift up thyself because of the rage of mine enemies: and awake for me to the judgment that you have commanded. 7:7 So shall the congregation of the people compass thee about: for their sakes therefore return you on high. 7:8 The Lord shall judge the people: judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me. 7:9 Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God tries the hearts and reins. 7:10 My defence is of God, which saves the upright in heart. 7:11 God judges the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. 7:12 If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready. 7:13 He hath also prepared for him the instruments of death; he ordains his arrows against the persecutors. 7:14 Behold, he travails with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 7:15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 7:16 His mischief shall return upon his own head, and his violent dealing shall come down upon his own pate. 7:17 I will praise the Lord according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the Lord most high. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit…….



Psalm 8: 1 – 9



8:1 O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is your name in all the earth! Who have set your glory above the heavens. 8:2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings have you ordained strength because of your enemies, that you might still the enemy and the avenger. 8:3 When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have ordained; 8:4 What is man, that you are mindful of him? and the son of man, that you visit him? 8:5 For you have made him a little lower than the angels, and have crowned him with glory and honour. 8:6 You made him to have dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all things under his feet: 8:7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; 8:8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passes through the paths of the seas. 8:9 O Lord our Lord, how excellent is your name in all the earth! Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning…





Scripture Readings




1st Reading




Isaiah 44: 21 – 24



Remember this thing, O Jacob, and Israel, for you are my servant; I formed you, you are my servant; O Israel, you will not be forgotten by me. I have swept away your transgressions like a cloud, and your sins like mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you. He who receives the prophet by the name of the prophet, shall receive the prophet’s reward.



2nd Reading



Romans 1: 8 – 15



First, I thank you my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed throughout the world. For God, whom I serve with my spirit by announcing the gospel of his Son, is my witness that without ceasing I remember you always in my prayers. Asking that by God’s will I may somehow at last succeed in coming to you. For I am longing to see you so that I may share with you some spiritual gift to strengthen you. Or rather so that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith, both yours and mine. I want you to know; brothers and sisters that I have often intended to come to you but thus far have been prevented, in order that I reap some harvest among you as I have among the rest of the Gentiles. I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish. Hence my eagerness to proclaim the gospel to you also who are in Rome. He who receives the Apostle by the name of the Apostle, shall receive the Apostle’s reward.



3rd Reading (Chant)



Psalm 67: 1 – 3



67:1May God be gracious to us and us and make his face his face shine upon us, that your way may be known upon earth, your saving power among all nation. Let the peoples praise Thee. O God; let all the peoples praise thee.



Halleluiah, stand up and hearken to the holy gospel, the message of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. (People shall stand up when the gospel is being read.)





If the priest is present during the morning and evening prayer.



Priest : The Lord be with you all.



People: And with your spirit.



Priest: The holy gospel which John preached, the word of the Son of God, or The holy gospel which Matthew, Mark or Luke proclaimed.



People: Glory be to thee, Christ my Lord and my God at all times...end.





4th Reading



The Gospel of St. Matthew 5: 14 – 16



You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot he hid. Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.



Heaven and earth shall pass away but my words shall not pass away, said the Lord to his disciples. Or Alternative he who receives…



Priest: This is the word of our Lord Jesus Christ.



People: Thanks: be to our Lord Jesus Christ, or



People: We believe in the holy Gospel of Our Lord Jesus Christ.



Concluding Prayer



Lord God, the creator of our entire being, hear our prayer and humble request; inspire us with good intention help us to fulfil them. We make this our Evening Prayer and supplications through our Lord Jesus Christ, who lives, and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.





Synaxarium

Saints/Feast Day to be commemmorated:  St. Deqsius


THE SECOND MONTH


TEKEMT 22

(November 01)



IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER AND THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT,

ONE GOD. AMEN.



On this day Saint Luke the evangelist, the physician, became a martyr. This holy man was one of the number of the seventy-two disciples whom the Holy Gospel mentioned; he ministered to the Apostles Peter and Paul and he wrote the histories of them. After the death of Peter and Paul, Luke preached in the country of Rome. And those who worshipped idols came to an agreement with the Jews, and they stood up before the Emperor Nero and they cried out concerning Luke the disciple, and they made accusations against him; and said, “He brings very many men under his teaching by means of his sorcery”; and the Emperor Nero commanded that they should bring Luke before him. And when the apostle knew that he was about to depart from this world, he found an old man who was a fisherman, and he gave him the books and the volumes which were with him, and he said unto him, “Take good care of these books, for they will be of benefit to thee, and will make thee to arrive on the road of God.” And when he had come to Nero, Emperor of Rome, he stood up before him. And the emperor said unto him, “How much longer wilt thou lead men into error by thy sorcery?” And Saint Luke answered and said unto him, “I am not a magician, but an Apostle of our Lord Christ, the Son of the Living God.” And the emperor commanded [his soldiers] to cut off his right hand, saying, “I cut off this hand which wrote books”; and straightway they cut off his hand. And Saint Luke said unto him, “Verily we do not fear the death of this world, but behold thou shalt at this moment see the power of my God Jesus Christ, to Whom be praise!” And the saint reached out his left hand, and took up in it the right hand, which had been cut off, and made it to cleave to its proper place, and it remained there firmly and became like unto the other; then he separated it from the wrist and it remained thus. And those who were there marveled, and the chief officer, and his wife and very many men believed in our Lord Christ; and they were in number two hundred and seven and seventy souls. And the emperor commanded his soldiers to cut off their heads, and the head of Saint Luke the apostle, and the soldiers cut them off and the saints received crowns of martyrdom in the kingdom of the heavens. And they placed the body of Saint Luke the apostle in a hair sack. And they cast it into the sea, and by the Will of God the waves of the sea brought it to an island, and a certain man who was a believer found it, and he gave it honorable burial. This holy man wrote his Gospel for Theophilus, who was a Gentile, and he also wrote for him the “Acts of the Apostles.” Salutation to Luke whose tongue was true, and who wrote the Divine Gospel.



Salutation to the company of martyrs who died with Saint Luke.



Salutation to the old man Silas, who received Saint Luke’s books and preserved them in purity.





Glory be to God Who is glorified in His Saints. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment