Friday, October 29, 2010

Lutheranism: Daily Readings For 30 October

From trinitycamphill.org:

Lutheran Daily Readings for 30 October


Saturday, October 30, 2010

Complementary series (related to the lessons for the Sunday services)

Psalm 32:1-7

Psalm 32


1Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

2Happy are those to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

3While I kept silence, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.

4For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah

5Then I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah

6Therefore let all who are faithful offer prayer to you; at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters shall not reach them.

7You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance. Selah


Isaiah 1:1-9

Isaiah 1:1-9


1The vision of Isaiah son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.

2Hear, O heavens, and listen, O earth; for the Lord has spoken: I reared children and brought them up, but they have rebelled against me. 3The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master’s crib; but Israel does not know, my people do not understand. 4Ah, sinful nation, people laden with iniquity, offspring who do evil, children who deal corruptly, who have forsaken the Lord, who have despised the Holy One of Israel, who are utterly estranged! 5Why do you seek further beatings? Why do you continue to rebel? The whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. 6From the sole of the foot even to the head, there is no soundness in it, but bruises and sores and bleeding wounds; they have not been drained, or bound up, or softened with oil. 7Your country lies desolate, your cities are burned with fire; in your very presence aliens devour your land; it is desolate, as overthrown by foreigners. 8And daughter Zion is left like a booth in a vineyard, like a shelter in a cucumber field, like a besieged city. 9If the Lord of hosts had not left us a few survivors, we would have been like Sodom, and become like Gomorrah.


John 8:39-47

John 8:39-4739They answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would be doing what Abraham did, 40but now you are trying to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. 41You are indeed doing what your father does.” They said to him, “We are not illegitimate children; we have one father, God himself.” 42Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now I am here. I did not come on my own, but he sent me. 43Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot accept my word. 44You are from your father the devil, and you choose to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me.


46Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47Whoever is from God hears the words of God. The reason you do not hear them is that you are not from God.”


Semicontinuous series (related to the lessons for the Saturday service)

Psalm 119:137-144

You are righteous, O Lord, and your judgments are right.


138You have appointed your decrees in righteousness and in all faithfulness.

139My zeal consumes me because my foes forget your words.

140Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it.

141I am small and despised, yet I do not forget your precepts.

142Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and your law is the truth.

143Trouble and anguish have come upon me, but your commandments are my delight.

144Your decrees are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live.


Habakkuk 2:5-11

Habakkuk 2:5-11


5Moreover, wealth is treacherous; the arrogant do not endure. They open their throats wide as Sheol; like Death they never have enough. They gather all nations for themselves, and collect all peoples as their own. 6Shall not everyone taunt such people and, with mocking riddles, say about them, “Alas for you who heap up what is not your own!” How long will you load yourselves with goods taken in pledge? 7Will not your own creditors suddenly rise, and those who make you tremble wake up? Then you will be booty for them. 8Because you have plundered many nations, all that survive of the peoples shall plunder you— because of human bloodshed, and violence to the earth, to cities and all who live in them. 9“Alas for you who get evil gain for your houses, setting your nest on high to be safe from the reach of harm!” 10You have devised shame for your house by cutting off many peoples; you have forfeited your life. 11The very stones will cry out from the wall, and the plaster will respond from the woodwork


John 8:39-47

John 8:39-4739They answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would be doing what Abraham did, 40but now you are trying to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. 41You are indeed doing what your father does.” They said to him, “We are not illegitimate children; we have one father, God himself.” 42Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now I am here. I did not come on my own, but he sent me. 43Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot accept my word. 44You are from your father the devil, and you choose to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me.


46Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47Whoever is from God hears the words of God. The reason you do not hear them is that you are not from God.”

 
 
And, from sanctus.org:


October 30th, 2010

[-] [+] Saturday of Trinity 21

Read today's Higher Things Daily Reflection

Collect

O Lord, keep Your household the Church in continual godliness that through Your protection she may be free from all adversities and devoutly given to serve You in good works; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

First Reading: Deut. 31:30-32:27

The Song of Moses

30Then Moses spoke the words of this song until they were finished, in the ears of all the assembly of Israel: 1"Give ear,(A) O heavens, and I will speak,

and let(B) the earth hear the words of my mouth. 2May(C) my teaching drop as the rain,

my speech distill as the dew,like gentle rain upon the tender grass,

and(D) like showers upon the herb. 3For I will proclaim the name of the LORD;

ascribe(E) greatness to our God!





4(F) "The Rock,(G) his work is perfect,

for(H) all his ways are justice.A God of faithfulness and(I) without iniquity,

just and upright is he. 5They have dealt corruptly with him;

they are no longer his children(J) because they are blemished;

they are(K) a crooked and twisted generation. 6Do you thus repay the LORD,

you foolish and senseless people?Is not he(L) your father, who(M) created you,

who(N) made you and established you? 7(O) Remember the days of old;

consider the years of many generations;(P) ask your father, and he will show you,

your elders, and they will tell you. 8When the Most High(Q) gave to the nations their inheritance,

when he(R) divided mankind,he fixed the borders[a] of the peoples

according to the number of the sons of God.[b] 9But the LORD’s portion is his people,

Jacob his allotted heritage.



10"He found him(S) in a desert land,

and in the howling waste of the wilderness;he(T) encircled him, he cared for him,

he(U) kept him as the apple of his eye. 11(V) Like an eagle that stirs up its nest,

that flutters over its young,spreading out its wings, catching them,

bearing them on its pinions, 12(W) the LORD alone guided him,

(X) no foreign god was with him. 13(Y) He made him ride on the high places of the land,

and he ate the produce of the field,and he suckled him with(Z) honey out of the rock,

and(AA) oil out of(AB) the flinty rock. 14Curds from the herd, and milk from the flock,

with fat[c] of lambs,rams of Bashan and goats,

with the very finest[d] of the wheat—

and you drank foaming wine made from(AC) the blood of the grape.



15"But(AD) Jeshurun grew fat, and(AE) kicked;

(AF) you grew fat, stout, and sleek;(AG) then he forsook God(AH) who made him

and scoffed at(AI) the Rock of his salvation. 16(AJ) They stirred him to jealousy with strange gods;

with abominations they provoked him to anger. 17(AK) They sacrificed to demons that were no gods,

to gods they had never known,to(AL) new gods that had come recently,

whom your fathers had never dreaded. 18You were unmindful of(AM) the Rock that bore[e] you,

and you(AN) forgot the God who gave you birth.



19(AO) "The LORD saw it and spurned them,

because of the provocation of(AP) his sons and his daughters. 20And he said,(AQ) 'I will hide my face from them;

I will see what their end will be,For they are a perverse generation,

children in whom is no faithfulness. 21(AR) They have made me jealous with what is no god;

they have provoked me to anger(AS) with their idols.So(AT) I will make them jealous with those who are no people;

I will provoke them to anger with(AU) a foolish nation. 22For(AV) a fire is kindled by my anger,

and it burns to(AW) the depths of Sheol,devours the earth and its increase,

and sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.



23"'And I will heap disasters upon them;

(AX) I will spend my arrows on them; 24they shall be wasted with hunger,

and devoured by plague

and poisonous pestilence;I will send(AY) the teeth of beasts against them,

with the venom of(AZ) things that crawl in the dust. 25(BA) Outdoors the sword shall bereave,

and indoors terror,for young man and woman alike,

the nursing child with the man of gray hairs. 26(BB) I would have said, "I will cut them to pieces;

(BC) I will wipe them from human memory," 27had I not feared provocation by the enemy,

lest their adversaries should misunderstand,lest they should say,(BD) "Our hand is triumphant,

it was not the LORD who did all this."'





Footnotes:Deuteronomy 32:8 Or territories Deuteronomy 32:8 Compare Dead Sea Scroll, Septuagint; Masoretic Text Israel Deuteronomy 32:14 That is, with the best Deuteronomy 32:14 Hebrew with the kidney fat Deuteronomy 32:18 Or fathered

Cross references:Deuteronomy 32:1 : Psalm 50:4; Josh 24:27; Deuteronomy 4:26 Deuteronomy 32:1 : Isa 34:1; Mic 1:2; 6:1, 2 Deuteronomy 32:2 : Isa 55:10, 11; Job 29:22, 23 Deuteronomy 32:2 : Psalm 72:6; Mic 5:7 Deuteronomy 32:3 : Deuteronomy 3:24 Deuteronomy 32:4 : Deuteronomy 32:15, 18, 30, 31, 37; Psalm 18:2, 31; Isa 30:29; Hab 1:12; 2 Sam 22:2 Deuteronomy 32:4 : Psalm 18:30 Deuteronomy 32:4 : Dan 4:37; Rev 15:3 Deuteronomy 32:4 : Job 34:10 Deuteronomy 32:5 : 2 Pet 2:13 Deuteronomy 32:5 : Matt 17:17; Luke 9:41; Phil 2:15 Deuteronomy 32:6 : Isa 63:16; 64:8 Deuteronomy 32:6 : Psalm 74:2 Deuteronomy 32:6 : Deuteronomy 32:15; Isa 44:2; 51:13 Deuteronomy 32:7 : Isa 63:11 Deuteronomy 32:7 : Psalm 44:1 Deuteronomy 32:8 : Acts 17:26 Deuteronomy 32:8 : Gen 11:8 Deuteronomy 32:10 : Deuteronomy 8:15; Jer 2:6; Hos 13:5 Deuteronomy 32:10 : Psalm 32:10 Deuteronomy 32:10 : Psalm 17:8; Prov 7:2; Zech 2:8 Deuteronomy 32:11 : Exodus 19:4 Deuteronomy 32:12 : Psalm 78:52, 53 Deuteronomy 32:12 : Isa 43:12 Deuteronomy 32:13 : Isa 58:14; Ezek 36:2 Deuteronomy 32:13 : Psalm 81:16 Deuteronomy 32:13 : Job 29:6 Deuteronomy 32:13 : Deuteronomy 8:15 Deuteronomy 32:14 : Gen 49:11 Deuteronomy 32:15 : Deuteronomy 33:5, 26; Isa 44:2 Deuteronomy 32:15 : 1 Sam 2:29 Deuteronomy 32:15 : Deuteronomy 31:20 Deuteronomy 32:15 : Deuteronomy 31:16 Deuteronomy 32:15 : Deuteronomy 32:6 Deuteronomy 32:15 : 2 Sam 22:47; Psalm 89:26; 95:1 Deuteronomy 32:16 : Psalm 78:58; Num 25:11 Deuteronomy 32:17 : Psalm 106:37; 1 Cor 10:20 Deuteronomy 32:17 : Judg 5:8 Deuteronomy 32:18 : 2 Sam 22:47; Psalm 89:26; 95:1 Deuteronomy 32:18 : Isa 17:10; Jer 2:27, 32; Hos 8:14 Deuteronomy 32:19 : Judg 2:14 Deuteronomy 32:19 : Isa 1:2 Deuteronomy 32:20 : Deuteronomy 31:17 Deuteronomy 32:21 : Psalm 78:58; Num 25:11 Deuteronomy 32:21 : 1 Kgs 16:13, 26; Psalm 31:6; Jonah 2:8; Acts 14:15 Deuteronomy 32:21 : Cited Rom 10:19; Hos 1:9, 10 Deuteronomy 32:21 : Psalm 74:18 Deuteronomy 32:22 : Jer 15:14; 17:4; Lam 4:11 Deuteronomy 32:22 : Psalm 86:13 Deuteronomy 32:23 : Job 6:4; Psalm 7:12, 13; 38:2; Lam 3:12, 13; Ezek 5:16 Deuteronomy 32:24 : Lev 26:22; Ezek 5:17 Deuteronomy 32:24 : Jer 8:17; Mic 7:17 Deuteronomy 32:25 : Lam 1:20; Ezek 7:15 Deuteronomy 32:26 : Ezek 20:23 Deuteronomy 32:26 : Job 18:17; Psalm 34:16; 109:15 Deuteronomy 32:27 : Psalm 140:8; Isa 10:13; Num 14:16





Second Reading: Matt. 20:1-16

Laborers in the Vineyard

1"For the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2After agreeing with the laborers for a denarius[a] a day, he sent them into his vineyard. 3And going out about the third hour he saw others standing idle in the marketplace, 4and to them he said, 'You go into the vineyard too, and whatever is right I will give you.' 5So they went. Going out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour, he did the same. 6And(A) about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing. And he said to them, 'Why do you stand here idle all day?' 7They said to him, 'Because no one has hired us.' He said to them, 'You go into the vineyard too.' 8And(B) when evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his(C) foreman, 'Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last, up to the first.' 9And when those hired about the eleventh hour came, each of them received a denarius. 10Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a denarius. 11And on receiving it they grumbled at the master of the house, 12saying, 'These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and(D) the scorching heat.' 13But he replied to one of them,(E) 'Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14Take(F) what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this last worker as I give to you. 15(G) Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or(H) do you begrudge my generosity?'[b] 16So(I) the last will be first, and the first last."





Footnotes:Matthew 20:2 A denarius was a day’s wage for a laborer Matthew 20:15 Or is your eye bad because I am good?

Cross references:Matthew 20:6 : 1 Cor 15:8 Matthew 20:8 : Lev 19:13; Deut 24:15 Matthew 20:8 : Luke 8:3; Matthew 24:45 Matthew 20:12 : Luke 12:55; James 1:11 (Gk) Matthew 20:13 : Matthew 22:12; 26:50 Matthew 20:14 : Matthew 25:25 Matthew 20:15 : Rom 9:15-24 Matthew 20:15 : Matthew 6:23; Deut 15:9; Prov 23:6 Matthew 20:16 : Matthew 19:30





Saturday Father Reading

"Those who were partakers of the ancient sacrifice first made an atonement and thoroughly cleansed themselves. But you are coming to the Victim, whom the very angels revere, and you are receiving Christ's Body and Blood." [St. Anastasius of Sinai. "Question 7." 6th Century]

All Scripture Readings: English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment