Sunday, October 24, 2010

Roman Catholic Christianity: Daily Readings For 24 October

From Catholic Online:

Daily Readings for Sunday October 24, 2010


Reading 1, 2 Tm 4:6-8, 16-18

6 As for me, my life is already being poured away as a libation, and the time has come for me to depart.



7 I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish; I have kept the faith;



8 all there is to come for me now is the crown of uprightness which the Lord, the upright judge, will give to me on that Day; and not only to me but to all those who have longed for his appearing.



16 The first time I had to present my defence, no one came into court to support me. Every one of them deserted me -- may they not be held accountable for it.



17 But the Lord stood by me and gave me power, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed for all the gentiles to hear; and so I was saved from the lion's mouth.



18 The Lord will rescue me from all evil attempts on me, and bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.



Gospel, Lk 18:9-14

9 He spoke the following parable to some people who prided themselves on being upright and despised everyone else,



10 'Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one a Pharisee, the other a tax collector.



11 The Pharisee stood there and said this prayer to himself, "I thank you, God, that I am not grasping, unjust, adulterous like everyone else, and particularly that I am not like this tax collector here.



12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes on all I get."



13 The tax collector stood some distance away, not daring even to raise his eyes to heaven; but he beat his breast and said, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner."



14 This man, I tell you, went home again justified; the other did not. For everyone who raises himself up will be humbled, but anyone who humbles himself will be raised up.'





St. Evergislus


Feastday: October 24

5th century





Bishop of Cologne, Germany, and possibly a martyr. He was raised by St. Severinus in Tongres, Belgium, and eventually succeeded Severinus as bishop of Cologne. Evergislus was reported to have been beaten to death by pagan robbers, but there is some reason to question that he died from the assault, as there is a reference by St. Gregory of Tours that Evergislus took part in reforming a convent in Paris many years after his reported martyrdom.

From Catholic News Agency:

Daily Readings


SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2010

Liturgical Year C

First Reading - Sir 35: 12-14, 16-18





12 Give to the Most High according to his gifts to you, and act with a good eye toward the creations of your hands.

13 For the Lord gives recompense, and he will repay you seven times as much.

14 Do not be willing to offer corrupt gifts. For he will not accept them.

16 The Lord will not accept favoritism against the poor, but he will heed the prayer of one who has been harmed.

17 He will not despise the prayers of the orphan, nor of the widow, if she utters a lamenting complaint.

18 Do a widow’s tears not run down her cheek? And will her outcry not cause their downfall?

Daily Readings


SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2010

Liturgical Year C

Second Reading - 2 Tim 4: 6-8, 16-18





6 For I am already being worn away, and the time of my dissolution presses close.

7 I have fought the good fight. I have completed the course. I have preserved the faith.

8 As for the remainder, a crown of justice has been reserved for me, one which the Lord, the just judge, will render to me in that day, and not only to me, but also to those who look forward to his return. Hurry to return to me soon.

16 At my first defense, no one stood by me, but everyone abandoned me. May it not be counted against them!

17 But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the preaching would be accomplished, and so that all the Gentiles would hear. And I was freed from the mouth of the lion.

18 The Lord has freed me from every evil work, and he will accomplish salvation by his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory forever and ever. Amen


Daily Readings


SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2010

Liturgical Year C

Psalm - Ps 34: 2-3, 17-19, 23





2 I will bless the Lord at all times. His praise will be ever in my mouth.

3 In the Lord, my soul will be praised. May the meek listen and rejoice.

17 But the countenance of the Lord is upon those who do evil, to perish the remembrance of them from the earth.

18 The just cried out, and the Lord heard them, and he freed them from all their tribulations.

19 The Lord is near to those who are troubled in heart, and he will save the humble in spirit.

23 The Lord will redeem the souls of his servants, and none of those who hope in him will fare badly

Gospel - Lk 18: 9-14

9 Now about certain persons who consider themselves to be just, while disdaining others, he told also this parable: 10 “Two men ascended to the temple, in order to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. 11 Standing, the Pharisee prayed within himself in this way: ‘O God, I give thanks to you that I am not like the rest of men: robbers, unjust, adulterers, even as this tax collector chooses to be. 12 I fast twice between Sabbaths. I give tithes from all that I possess.’ 13 And the tax collector, standing at a distance, was not willing to even lift up his eyes to heaven. But he struck his chest, saying: ‘O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.’ 14 I say to you, this one descended to his house justified, but not the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled; and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”

No comments:

Post a Comment