Friday, October 29, 2010

Roman Catholicism: Daily Readings For 30 October

From CNA, USCCB, Catholic Online:


Saints/Feast Day:

St. Alphonsus Rodriguez


Feastday: October 30

1617
Confessor and Jay brother, also called Alonso. He was born in Segovia, Spain, on July 25, 1532, the son of a wealthy merchant, and was prepared for First Communion by Blessed Peter Favre, a friend of Alphonsus' father. While studying with the Jesuits at Alcala, Alphonsus had to return home when his father died. In Segovia he took over the family business, was married, and had a son. That son died, as did two other children and then his wife. Alphonsus sold his business and applied to the Jesuits. His lack of education and his poor health, undermined by his austerities, made him less than desirable as a candidate for the religious life, but he was accepted as a lay brother by the Jesuits on January 31, 1571. He underwent novitiate training and was sent to Montesion College on the island of Majorca. There he labored as a hall porter for twenty-four years. Overlooked by some of the Jesuits in the house, Alphonsus exerted a wondrous influence on many. Not only the young students, such as St. Peter Claver, but local civic tad and social leaders came to his porter's lodge for advice tad and direction. Obedience and penance were the hallmarks of his life, as well as his devotion to the Immaculate Conception. He experienced many spiritual consolations, and he wrote religious treatises, very simple in style but sound in doctrine. Alphonsus died after a long illness on October 31, 1617, and his funeral was attended by Church and government leaders. He was declared Venerable in 1626, and was named a patron of Majorca in 1633. Alphonsus was beatified in 1825 and canonized in September 1888 with St. Peter Claver.


More Saints of the Day


•St. Herbert

•Bl. Angelus of Acri

•St. Arilda

•St. Artemas

•St. Talacrian

•St. Zenobius & Zenobia

•St. Theonestus

•St. Saturninus

•St. Serapion

•St. Dorothy of Montau

•St. Ethelnoth

•St. Eutropia

•Bl. John Slade

•St. Julian

•St. Macarius

•St. Maximus

You may research these at:  http://www.catholic.org/saints/sofd.php

Daily Readings for Saturday October 30, 2010

Reading 1, Phil 1:18b-26

18 But what does it matter? Only that in both ways, whether with false motives or true, Christ is proclaimed, and for that I am happy;



19 and I shall go on being happy, too, because I know that this is what will save me, with your prayers and with the support of the Spirit of Jesus Christ;



20 all in accordance with my most confident hope and trust that I shall never have to admit defeat, but with complete fearlessness I shall go on, so that now, as always, Christ will be glorified in my body, whether by my life or my death.



21 Life to me, of course, is Christ, but then death would be a positive gain.



22 On the other hand again, if to be alive in the body gives me an opportunity for fruitful work, I do not know which I should choose.



23 I am caught in this dilemma: I want to be gone and to be with Christ, and this is by far the stronger desire-



24 and yet for your sake to stay alive in this body is a more urgent need.



25 This much I know for certain, that I shall stay and stand by you all, to encourage your advance and your joy in the faith,



26 so that my return to be among you may increase to overflowing your pride in Jesus Christ on my account.




Ps 42:2, 3, 5cdefResponsorial PsalmR. My soul is thirsting for the living God.


As the hind longs for the running waters,

so my soul longs for you, O God.

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.

Athirst is my soul for God, the living God.

When shall I go and behold the face of God?

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.

I went with the throng

and led them in procession to the house of God.

Amid loud cries of joy and thanksgiving,

with the multitude keeping festival.

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.




Gospel, Lk 14:1, 7-11

1 Now it happened that on a Sabbath day he had gone to share a meal in the house of one of the leading Pharisees; and they watched him closely.



7 He then told the guests a parable, because he had noticed how they picked the places of honour. He said this,



8 'When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take your seat in the place of honour. A more distinguished person than you may have been invited,



9 and the person who invited you both may come and say, "Give up your place to this man." And then, to your embarrassment, you will have to go and take the lowest place.



10 No; when you are a guest, make your way to the lowest place and sit there, so that, when your host comes, he may say, "My friend, move up higher." Then, everyone with you at the table will see you honoured.



11 For everyone who raises himself up will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be raised up.'





No comments:

Post a Comment