Sunday, October 31, 2010

Lutheranism: Daily Readings For 1 November (All Saints' Day)

From trinitycamphill.org:

Daily Readings:

Monday, November 1, 2010 - All Saints Day


Complementary series (related to the lessons for the Sunday services)

Psalm 50

Psalm 50


1The mighty one, God the Lord, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.

2Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God shines forth.

3Our God comes and does not keep silence, before him is a devouring fire, and a mighty tempest all around him.

4He calls to the heavens above and to the earth, that he may judge his people:

5“Gather to me my faithful ones, who made a covenant with me by sacrifice!”

6The heavens declare his righteousness, for God himself is judge. Selah

7“Hear, O my people, and I will speak, O Israel, I will testify against you. I am God, your God.

8Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you; your burnt offerings are continually before me.

9I will not accept a bull from your house, or goats from your folds.

10For every wild animal of the forest is mine, the cattle on a thousand hills.

11I know all the birds of the air, and all that moves in the field is mine.

12“If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for the world and all that is in it is mine.

13Do I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats?

14Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and pay your vows to the Most High.

15Call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”

16But to the wicked God says: “What right have you to recite my statutes, or take my covenant on your lips?

17For you hate discipline, and you cast my words behind you.

18You make friends with a thief when you see one, and you keep company with adulterers.

19“You give your mouth free rein for evil, and your tongue frames deceit.

20You sit and speak against your kin; you slander your own mother’s child.

21These things you have done and I have been silent; you thought that I was one just like yourself. But now I rebuke you, and lay the charge before you.

22“Mark this, then, you who forget God, or I will tear you apart, and there will be no one to deliver.

23Those who bring thanksgiving as their sacrifice honor me; to those who go the right way I will show the salvation of God.”




Nehemiah 13:1-3, 23-31

Nehemiah 13:1-3, 23-31


13On that day they read from the book of Moses in the hearing of the people; and in it was found written that no Ammonite or Moabite should ever enter the assembly of God, 2because they did not meet the Israelites with bread and water, but hired Balaam against them to curse them—yet our God turned the curse into a blessing. 3When the people heard the law, they separated from Israel all those of foreign descent.

23In those days also I saw Jews who had married women of Ashdod, Ammon, and Moab; 24and half of their children spoke the language of Ashdod, and they could not speak the language of Judah, but spoke the language of various peoples. 25And I contended with them and cursed them and beat some of them and pulled out their hair; and I made them take an oath in the name of God, saying, “You shall not give your daughters to their sons, or take their daughters for your sons or for yourselves. 26Did not King Solomon of Israel sin on account of such women? Among the many nations there was no king like him, and he was beloved by his God, and God made him king over all Israel; nevertheless, foreign women made even him to sin. 27Shall we then listen to you and do all this great evil and act treacherously against our God by marrying foreign women?” 28And one of the sons of Jehoiada, son of the high priest Eliashib, was the son-in-law of Sanballat the Horonite; I chased him away from me. 29Remember them, O my God, because they have defiled the priesthood, the covenant of the priests and the Levites. 30Thus I cleansed them from everything foreign, and I established the duties of the priests and Levites, each in his work; 31and I provided for the wood offering, at appointed times, and for the first fruits. Remember me, O my God, for good.




1 Corinthians 5:9-13

1 Corinthians 5:9-13


9I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral persons— 10not at all meaning the immoral of this world, or the greedy and robbers, or idolaters, since you would then need to go out of the world. 11But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother or sister who is sexually immoral or greedy, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or robber. Do not even eat with such a one. 12For what have I to do with judging those outside? Is it not those who are inside that you are to judge? 13God will judge those outside. “Drive out the wicked person from among you.”




Semicontinuous series (related to the lessons for the Saturday service)

Psalm 142

Psalm 142


1With my voice I cry to the Lord; with my voice I make supplication to the Lord.

2I pour out my complaint before him; I tell my trouble before him.

3When my spirit is faint, you know my way. In the path where I walk they have hidden a trap for me.

4Look on my right hand and see— there is no one who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for me.

5I cry to you, O Lord; I say, “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.”

6Give heed to my cry, for I am brought very low. Save me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me.

7Bring me out of prison, so that I may give thanks to your name. The righteous will surround me, for you will deal bountifully with me.




Habakkuk 2:12-20

Habakkuk 2:12-2012“Alas for you who build a town by bloodshed, and found a city on iniquity!” 13Is it not from the Lord of hosts that peoples labor only to feed the flames, and nations weary themselves for nothing? 14But the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.


15“Alas for you who make your neighbors drink, pouring out your wrath until they are drunk, in order to gaze on their nakedness!” 16You will be sated with contempt instead of glory. Drink, you yourself, and stagger! The cup in the Lord’s right hand will come around to you, and shame will come upon your glory! 17For the violence done to Lebanon will overwhelm you; the destruction of the animals will terrify you— because of human bloodshed and violence to the earth, to cities and all who live in them. 18What use is an idol once its maker has shaped it— a cast image, a teacher of lies? For its maker trusts in what has been made, though the product is only an idol that cannot speak! 19Alas for you who say to the wood, “Wake up!” to silent stone, “Rouse yourself!” Can it teach? See, it is gold and silver plated, and there is no breath in it at all. 20But the Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth keep silence before him!




1 Corinthians 5:9-13

1 Corinthians 5:9-13


9I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral persons— 10not at all meaning the immoral of this world, or the greedy and robbers, or idolaters, since you would then need to go out of the world. 11But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother or sister who is sexually immoral or greedy, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or robber. Do not even eat with such a one. 12For what have I to do with judging those outside? Is it not those who are inside that you are to judge? 13God will judge those outside. “Drive out the wicked person from among you.”




Readings for All Saints Day (Cycle C)

Daniel 7:1-3, 15-18

Daniel 7:1-3, 15-18


7In the first year of King Belshazzar of Babylon, Daniel had a dream and visions of his head as he lay in bed. Then he wrote down the dream: 2I, Daniel, saw in my vision by night the four winds of heaven stirring up the great sea, 3and four great beasts came up out of the sea, different from one another.

15As for me, Daniel, my spirit was troubled within me, and the visions of my head terrified me. 16I approached one of the attendants to ask him the truth concerning all this. So he said that he would disclose to me the interpretation of the matter: 17“As for these four great beasts, four kings shall arise out of the earth. 18But the holy ones of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and possess the kingdom forever—forever and ever.”




Psalm 149

Psalm 149


1Praise the Lord! Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in the assembly of the faithful.

2Let Israel be glad in its Maker; let the children of Zion rejoice in their King.

3Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and lyre.

4For the Lord takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with victory.

5Let the faithful exult in glory; let them sing for joy on their couches.

6Let the high praises of God be in their throats and two-edged swords in their hands,

7to execute vengeance on the nations and punishment on the peoples,

8to bind their kings with fetters and their nobles with chains of iron,

9to execute on them the judgment decreed. This is glory for all his faithful ones. Praise the Lord!




Ephesians 1:11-23

Ephesians 1:11-2311In Christ we have also obtained an inheritance, having been destined according to the purpose of him who accomplishes all things according to his counsel and will, 12so that we, who were the first to set our hope on Christ, might live for the praise of his glory. 13In him you also, when you had heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and had believed in him, were marked with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit; 14this is the pledge of our inheritance toward redemption as God’s own people, to the praise of his glory.


15I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, and for this reason 16I do not cease to give thanks for you as I remember you in my prayers. 17I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation as you come to know him, 18so that, with the eyes of your heart enlightened, you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance among the saints, 19and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power for us who believe, according to the working of his great power. 20God put this power to work in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the age to come. 22And he has put all things under his feet and has made him the head over all things for the church, 23which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.




Luke 6:20-31

Luke 6:20-31


20Then he looked up at his disciples and said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. 21“Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you will be filled. “Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh. 22“Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you, revile you, and defame you on account of the Son of Man. 23Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, for surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what their ancestors did to the prophets. 24“But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation. 25“Woe to you who are full now, for you will be hungry. “Woe to you who are laughing now, for you will mourn and weep. 26“Woe to you when all speak well of you, for that is what their ancestors did to the false prophets.

27“But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. 30Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.

 
 
Alternate Daily Reading, from sanctus.org:

November 1st, 2010


[-] [+] All Saints Day

Read today's Higher Things Daily Reflection

Collect

Almighty and everlasting God, You knit together Your faithful people of all times and places into one holy communion, the mystical body of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Grant us so to follow Your blessed saints in all virtuous and godly living that, together with them, we may come to the unspeakable joys You have prepared for those who love You; through Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Epistle: Rev. 7:9-17

A Great Multitude from Every Nation

9After this I looked, and behold,(A) a great multitude that no one could number,(B) from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb,(C) clothed in white robes, with(D) palm branches in their hands, 10and crying out with a loud voice,(E) "Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!" 11And all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and(F) the four living creatures, and they(G) fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, 12(H) saying, "Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might be to our God forever and ever! Amen."





13Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, "Who are these,(I) clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?" 14I said to him, "Sir, you know." And he said to me, "These are the ones coming out of(J) the great tribulation.(K) They have washed their robes and(L) made them white(M) in the blood of the Lamb.

15"Therefore they are before the throne of God,

and(N) serve him day and night in his temple;

and he who sits on the throne(O) will shelter them with his presence. 16(P) They shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore;

(Q) the sun shall not strike them,

nor any scorching heat. 17For the Lamb in the midst of the throne(R) will be their shepherd,

and he will guide them to springs of(S) living water,and(T) God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."





Cross references:Revelation 7:9 : Rom 11:25 Revelation 7:9 : Revelation 5:9 Revelation 7:9 : Revelation 7:14; Revelation 3:4 Revelation 7:9 : Lev 23:40; John 12:13 Revelation 7:10 : Revelation 12:10; 19:1; Psalm 3:8 Revelation 7:11 : Revelation 4:6 Revelation 7:11 : Revelation 4:10 Revelation 7:12 : Revelation 5:14; 19:4; 1 Chr 29:10, 11 Revelation 7:13 : Revelation 7:9 Revelation 7:14 : Matt 24:21 Revelation 7:14 : Revelation 22:14; Isa 1:18; Zech 3:3-5 Revelation 7:14 : Dan 12:10; 1 John 1:7 Revelation 7:14 : Revelation 1:5 Revelation 7:15 : Revelation 22:3 Revelation 7:15 : Revelation 21:3; Isa 4:5, 6 Revelation 7:16 : Isa 49:10 Revelation 7:16 : Psalm 121:6 Revelation 7:17 : Psalm 23:1, 2; Matt 2:6; John 10:11 Revelation 7:17 : Revelation 22:1; Psalm 36:8, 9; John 4:14 Revelation 7:17 : Revelation 21:4; Isa 25:8





Gospel: Matt. 5:1-12

The Sermon on the Mount

1Seeing the crowds,(A) he went up on the mountain, and when he(B) sat down, his disciples came to him.



The Beatitudes

2And(C) he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:





3(D) "Blessed are(E) the poor in spirit, for(F) theirs is the kingdom of heaven.



4"Blessed are(G) those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.



5"Blessed are the(H) meek, for they shall inherit the earth.



6"Blessed are those who hunger and(I) thirst(J) for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.



7"Blessed are(K) the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.



8"Blessed are(L) the pure in heart, for(M) they shall see God.



9"Blessed are(N) the peacemakers, for(O) they shall be called(P) sons[a] of God.



10(Q) "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for(R) theirs is the kingdom of heaven.



11(S) "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely(T) on my account. 12(U) Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for(V) so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.





Footnotes:Matthew 5:9 Greek huioi;

Cross references:Matthew 5:1 : Matthew 15:29 Matthew 5:1 : Luke 4:20 Matthew 5:2 : Psalm 78:2 Matthew 5:3 : For Matthew 5:3-12, Luke 6:20-23 Matthew 5:3 : Isa 61:1; 66:2 Matthew 5:3 : Luke 12:32 Matthew 5:4 : Isa 61:2, 3; John 16:20; 2 Cor 1:7; 7:10; Rev 21:4; James 4:9, 10 Matthew 5:5 : Psalm 37:11 Matthew 5:6 : Psalm 42:2; Isa 55:1, 2; John 7:37 Matthew 5:6 : 2 Tim 2:22; Matthew 6:33 Matthew 5:7 : Matthew 18:33; 25:34-36; Prov 19:17; Luke 6:36; 2 Tim 1:16; Heb 6:10 Matthew 5:8 : Psalm 24:4; 2 Tim 2:22; 1 Pet 1:22 Matthew 5:8 : Heb 12:14; 1 John 3:2, 3; Rev 22:4; 1 Cor 13:12 Matthew 5:9 : James 3:18 Matthew 5:9 : 1 John 3:1 Matthew 5:9 : Rom 8:14 Matthew 5:10 : 2 Tim 2:12; James 5:11; 1 Pet 3:14 Matthew 5:10 : Matthew 5:3 Matthew 5:11 : Heb 11:26; 1 Pet 4:14 Matthew 5:11 : John 15:21 Matthew 5:12 : Acts 5:41; Rom 5:3; 2 Cor 12:10; Col 1:11, 24; Heb 10:34; James 1:2; 1 Pet 4:13 Matthew 5:12 : Matthew 21:35





Daily Lectionary

First Reading: Deut. 34:1-12

The Death of Moses

1Then Moses went up from the plains of Moab(A) to Mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, which is opposite Jericho. And the LORD showed him all the land, Gilead as far as Dan, 2all Naphtali, the land of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah(B) as far as the western sea, 3(C) the Negeb, and(D) the Plain, that is, the Valley of Jericho(E) the city of palm trees, as far as(F) Zoar. 4And the LORD said to him,(G) "This is the land of which I swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, 'I will give it to your offspring.'(H) I have let you see it with your eyes, but(I) you shall not go over there." 5So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD, 6and he buried him in the valley in the land of Moab opposite Beth-peor; but(J) no one knows the place of his burial to this day. 7(K) Moses was 120 years old when he died.(L) His eye was undimmed, and his vigor unabated. 8And the people of Israel(M) wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days. Then the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended.





9And Joshua the son of Nun was full of(N) the spirit of wisdom, for(O) Moses had laid his hands on him. So(P) the people of Israel obeyed him and did as the LORD had commanded Moses. 10And there has not(Q) arisen a prophet since in Israel like Moses,(R) whom the LORD knew face to face, 11none like him for all(S) the signs and the wonders that the LORD sent him to do in the land of Egypt, to Pharaoh and to all his servants and to all his land, 12and for all the mighty power and all the great deeds of terror that Moses did in the sight of all Israel.





Cross references:Deuteronomy 34:1 : Num 27:12 Deuteronomy 34:2 : Deuteronomy 11:24 Deuteronomy 34:3 : Deuteronomy 1:7 Deuteronomy 34:3 : Gen 13:12; 19:17, 25, 28, 29; 2 Sam 18:23 Deuteronomy 34:3 : Judg 1:16; 3:13; 2 Chr 28:15 Deuteronomy 34:3 : Gen 14:2; 19:22 Deuteronomy 34:4 : Gen 12:7; 50:24 Deuteronomy 34:4 : Deuteronomy 3:27; 32:52 Deuteronomy 34:4 : Deuteronomy 1:37 Deuteronomy 34:6 : Jude 9 Deuteronomy 34:7 : Deuteronomy 31:2 Deuteronomy 34:7 : Gen 27:1; 48:10; Josh 14:10, 11; 1 Sam 3:2; 4:15 Deuteronomy 34:8 : Num 20:29; Gen 50:3 Deuteronomy 34:9 : Exodus 28:3; Isa 11:2 Deuteronomy 34:9 : Num 27:18, 23 Deuteronomy 34:9 : Josh 1:17 Deuteronomy 34:10 : Deuteronomy 18:15, 18 Deuteronomy 34:10 : Deuteronomy 5:4; Exodus 33:11 Deuteronomy 34:11 : Deuteronomy 4:34





Second Reading: Matt. 21:1-22



The Triumphal Entry

1(A) Now when they drew near to Jerusalem and came to Bethphage, to(B) the Mount of Olives, then Jesus(C) sent two disciples, 2saying to them, "Go into the village in front of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. Untie them and bring them to me. 3If anyone says anything to you, you shall say, 'The Lord needs them,' and he will send them at once." 4This took place(D) to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet, saying,

5(E) "Say to the daughter of Zion,'Behold, your king is coming to you,

(F) humble, and mounted on a donkey,

and[a] on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.'"



6The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them. 7They brought the donkey and the colt and put on them their cloaks, and he sat on them. 8Most of the crowd(G) spread their cloaks on the road, and others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. 9And the crowds that went before him and that followed him were shouting,(H) "Hosanna to(I) the Son of David!(J) Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna(K) in the highest!" 10And(L) when he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred up, saying, "Who is this?" 11And the crowds said, "This is(M) the prophet Jesus,(N) from Nazareth of Galilee."

Jesus Cleanses the Temple

12(O) And Jesus entered the temple[b] and drove out all who sold and bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of(P) the money-changers and the seats of those who sold(Q) pigeons. 13He said to them, "It is written,(R) 'My house shall be called a house of prayer,' but(S) you make it a den of robbers."



14(T) And the blind and the lame came to him in the temple, and he healed them. 15(U) But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying out in the temple,(V) "Hosanna to the Son of David!" they were indignant, 16and they said to him, "Do you hear what these are saying?" And Jesus said to them, "Yes;(W) have you never read,

(X) "'Out of the mouth of(Y) infants and nursing babies

you have prepared praise'?"



17And(Z) leaving them, he(AA) went out of the city to(AB) Bethany and lodged there.

Jesus Curses the Fig Tree

18(AC) In the morning, as he was returning to the city,(AD) he became hungry. 19(AE) And seeing a fig tree by the wayside, he went to it and found nothing on it but only leaves. And he said to it, "May no fruit ever come from you again!" And the fig tree withered at once.



20When the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, "How did the fig tree wither at once?" 21And Jesus answered them, (AF) "Truly, I say to you,(AG) if you have faith and(AH) do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain,(AI) 'Be taken up and thrown into the sea,' it will happen. 22And(AJ) whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive,(AK) if you have faith."





Footnotes:Matthew 21:5 Or even Matthew 21:12 Some manuscripts add of God

Cross references:Matthew 21:1 : For Matthew 21:1-9, Mark 11:1-10; Luke 19:29-38; John 12:12-15 Matthew 21:1 : Matthew 24:3; 26:30; Zech 14:4; John 8:1; Acts 1:12 Matthew 21:1 : Mark 14:13 Matthew 21:4 : Matthew 1:22 Matthew 21:5 : Zech 9:9; Isa 62:11 Matthew 21:5 : Matthew 11:29 Matthew 21:8 : 2 Kgs 9:13 Matthew 21:9 : Rev 7:10; Psalm 118:25 (Heb) Matthew 21:9 : Matthew 20:30 Matthew 21:9 : Matthew 23:39; Psalm 118:26 Matthew 21:9 : Luke 2:14; Psalm 148:1 Matthew 21:10 : Mark 11:11 Matthew 21:11 : Matthew 21:46; Luke 7:16; 13:33; 24:19; John 4:19; 6:14; 7:40; 9:17; Mark 6:15; Luke 9:8, 19; John 1:21 Matthew 21:11 : Matthew 2:23 Matthew 21:12 : For Matthew 21:12-16, Mark 11:15-18; Luke 19:45-47; John 2:14-16 Matthew 21:12 : Exodus 30:13 Matthew 21:12 : Lev 1:14; 5:7; 12:8; Luke 2:24 Matthew 21:13 : Isa 56:7 Matthew 21:13 : Jer 7:11 Matthew 21:14 : Matthew 11:5; 15:31 Matthew 21:15 : Luke 19:39, 40 Matthew 21:15 : Matthew 21:9 Matthew 21:16 : Matthew 21:42; Matthew 12:3, 5; 19:4; 22:31 Matthew 21:16 : Psalm 8:2 (Gk) Matthew 21:16 : Matthew 11:25 Matthew 21:17 : Matthew 16:4 Matthew 21:17 : Mark 11:19; Luke 21:37 Matthew 21:17 : Mark 11:1; Luke 19:29; 24:50; John 11:18 Matthew 21:18 : For Matthew 21:18-22, Mark 11:12-14, 20-24 Matthew 21:18 : Matthew 4:2 Matthew 21:19 : Luke 13:6-9 Matthew 21:21 : Matthew 17:20 Matthew 21:21 : John 14:12 Matthew 21:21 : Acts 10:20; Rom 4:20; 14:23; James 1:6 Matthew 21:21 : Psalm 46:2; 1 Cor 13:2; Rev 8:8 Matthew 21:22 : Matthew 21:21 Matthew 21:22 : Matthew 7:7





All Scripture Readings: English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.





Comments, Questions or Suggestions? Please contact Stan Lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment