Monday, December 27, 2010

Mennonite Daily Readings/Devotionals For Monday, 27 December

From thirdway.com, emu.edu,asimpledesire.wordpress.com and biblegateway.com:

Daily Readings/Devotionals:

A Sip of Scripture


Daily Scripture:

CHRIST'S SUFFERING

Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.



Reference: 1 Corinthians 15:55-56

1 Corinthians 15:55-56 (New King James Version)


55 “ O Death, where is your sting?[a]

O Hades, where is your victory?”[b]





56 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law.





Footnotes:

a.1 Corinthians 15:55 Hosea 13:14

b.1 Corinthians 15:55 NU-Text reads O Death, where is your victory? O Death, where is your sting
 
 
 
 
 
Related Blog


A Simple Desire

The weblog "a simple desire" provides brief commentaries on "A Sip of Scripture" from a Mennonite perspective, The commentaries are written by Carole Boshart, of Oregon; Will Fitzgerald, of Michigan; and others on occasion.



Where, O where, have you gone?


leave a comment »



“Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.” ( 1 Corinthians 15:55-56 )



I suppose at one time or another a child of a young and impressionable age has seen a cemetery, either in real life or in a picture or more or such like. I had to wonder what “R.I.P” stood for, and if fascinated me to learn it stood for “rest in peace”. And I thought it is true, that everyone who has passed away, no matter the circumstances of their life or the means of their death, is now resting in peace. Or at least it is in peace if they are not in some horror movie. Even as child I avoided those sort of movies, and as an adult am glad I do not watch them. But, back to my train of thought.



It comforted me to think that everyone who had died, especially those to whose funeral I had been taken to, are resting in peace. That toil and care is over, the burden of a lifetime is laid down, and that they are no longer bothered by the tragedies and sorrows that are inevitable in life. Heavy thoughts for a child. It was seeing the adults in my life who seemed so burdened that lead me to this thinking. It was “hard” being an adult, and while I loved the adults around me, and wanted them to live on, if death had to come at least that led to a peaceful hereafter.



If it was a child’s grave marker that had the “R.I.P.” on it, I assumed something terrible and drastic happened; that illness or accident had overtaken them, and whatever they may have suffered in life was no more, and now they played in a forever playground under God’s watchful eye. You can see gentle reader that my impression of heaven was one of bliss and eternal happiness. It was not that I though life so terrible; I enjoyed my life and enjoyed living. But to my mind death did not have a sting nor a victory.



I can not say when my innocence gave way to a fear of death. Perhaps it was around the same time when the concept of “hell” entered my child world. I slowly began to realize that maybe not everyone was “resting in peace.” Still not for me the horror movies, but the horror that the “hereafter” may not be the pleasant place I thought. It was that, plus good old-fashioned Mennonite salvation talk, that made me realize that one should make awfully sure that one had a “reservation” in the pleasant eternal kingdom and not in the other “down under place.”



If death brought the horrors of hell, then death did have a sting and a victory over a life that had been filled with joy and people you loved. And if the people you loved had passed on, you wanted to be awfully sure you went to where they were, and hoped to heaven they were in heaven. Ah! The innocence of youth gives way to the knowledge of adulthood.



And if one believes in a wrathful God whose justice is strict and whose mercy in hard one, then the sting and victory of death is indeed a potent one. The commentaries tell me the power of sin is the law; but I think the power of sin is fear. Fear that God will judge you and find you guilty of your sins. Fear that death will not be a gentle passing over but a terrifying wild ride to the depths of hell. Fear that the little good one did in one’s life will be overshadowed by the evil that is written about you in the Book of Life.



Will there be time before death takes you to make amends, to confess your sins and receive God’s forgiveness, to tell the ones you love that you have loved and have been loved by them? Here is sting! Here is death’s victory! Reel after reel of Hollywood’s horror movies can not compare!



But Jesus said, “Do not fear. Do not be afraid. Lo, I have come to tell you that your sins are forgiven and that a place has been prepared for you. I would have told you if it were not so.” Resting in peace does not come from having the letters carved on your grave marker. Peace comes from knowing the risen Lord who said that death can not and will not hold believers in fear. Death, when coming after a life modeled on Christ’s life, is the passing over that I believed it to be as a child.



May you gentle reader know peace in life, and may you have the peace that comes from following our Lord Christ who at this season came to earth in order to banish the fear and sting of death and reign victorious over the hold of sin. Selah!



Written by Carole

December 27, 2010 at 12:06 am
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Related Website


Soul Space

You are invited to take some time each day for "Soul Space," written by Wendy Miller and posted on the Eastern Mennonite University website. Each day's guidance centers around a theme for reflection and prayer drawn from the lectionary readings for the week.



Morning-Week Three


Opening the day with prayer.



Wake me up, dear God,

Help me.

Open the eyes of my soul;

Help me to see.

Open the ears of my heart;

Help me to hear.



I am slow in leaving the world of sleep.

Wake me up, dear God.



Be assured that God hears us, helps us.

These morning prayers are a signal of our desire,

our intent for the day to come.

They need not be long. We need not linger.

There will be another, more spacious time in which

to sink more deeply into prayer, reading and

reflection; to listening and responding.



Sheltering God, Abba Amma, you have brought us in safety

to this new day.

Keep us under the wings of your protection, that we may not lose sight

of your ways, nor what you are about this day.

Keep us steady in trust, hope, and love in the face of adversity.

And in all we do, direct us in the ways of your gracious and life-giving

purpose;

In the name of Jesus, Immanuel, God with us. Amen.



Coming
 


Dear God,

As I turn aside from the world

From work

From action

From tending

Even now, in these twelve days of Christmas

Help me as I come

Still my tired and anxious feet

Settle my heart and mind into rest

Holy Spirit

Tend the space within the house of my soul

The inn of Your dwelling

Where you receive and welcome my coming.

Amen



Silence



Be still.

Open your awareness to God’s presence

Within and all around.

“Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)




Responding


The third movement within Soul Space is Responding. Here we shift our focus towards outward engagement.



Monday



Pray for the coming day, and for God’s servants who are bringing good news, healing and hope in the world, especially for ___________________________ (persons you desire to pray for).



Loving God,



You are Lord of the harvest, and Owner of the farm.



Thank you for calling _____________________ to co-labor with You in the field of this world.

Help ___________________ this day to know your voice and guidance, to be led and empowered by your Spirit, and protected from all that is against you and your work in the world. May your kingdom come, and your will be done in their life and in the lives of those they companion into your gracious love and salvation.



In the name of Jesus, Savior, Emmanuel.



Amen.

CLOSING PRAYER



Loving God,

Help me to listen deeply.

Help me to see your design

Behind and within all that is

Lord Jesus, be my light

Rescue me from the void of the dark,

The anxious clutter and violence of this world.

Bend my heart to stay . . . to love . . .

To embrace your coming in Jesus,

Our true Light.

Amen.



Evening- Week Three


It is a good thing . . .

To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning

And of your faithfulness in the night season.



Kind Spirit of God,

As I come to the end of this day,

Help me to see this day as you see,

To hear voice of Jesus in what I see and hear.



Read the psalm for this week’s lectionary readings.



Silence



Reflection



As I reflect back on this day . . .

For what am I thankful?

In what way have I cooperated with God in bringing justice to the oppressed

freedom to persons who are captive

sight to those who cannot see

relief and support to those who are bowed down

support and comfort to the orphan and widow . . .?



Where have I been aware of your help and faithful companioning?

What do I bring for your holding and tending?



Closing Prayer



Caring and loving God, I bring all of this day—all the pieces that fit, and all the parts that are unfinished and in need of tending, in my own life and in the lives of those I have touched this day. As we sleep this night, continue to work your way of justice for those who are oppressed, and freedom for those who are captive. Bring sight to those who cannot see, and relief and comfort to the poor and needy.



In the name of Jesus, who was born in nakedness and poverty among us, and who brings us the good news of your gracious reign, now and coming.



Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment