Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mennonite Daily Readings/Devotionals For Friday, 31 December

From thirdway.com, emu.edu, asimpledesire.wordpress.com and biblegateway.com:

A Sip of Scripture


Daily Scripture:

HOPE

He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.



Reference: Isaiah 2:4

Isaiah 2:4 (New King James Version)


4 He shall judge between the nations,

And rebuke many people;

They shall beat their swords into plowshares,

And their spears into pruning hooks;

Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,

Neither shall they learn war anymore.





Related Blog


A Simple Desire

The weblog "a simple desire" provides brief commentaries on "A Sip of Scripture" from a Mennonite perspective, The commentaries are written by Carole Boshart, of Oregon; Will Fitzgerald, of Michigan; and others on occasion.



a simple desireShort commentary on “A Sip of Scripture” from Third Way Cafe


Never again to train for war

with one comment



“He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.” ( Isaiah 2:4 )



When the year started I felt slightly overwhelmed and not quite ready to speak to the multifaceted issue of peace. By mid-year I was wearying of speaking to peace. But by year’s end I had seen myself develop into a staunch advocate of peace. I saw where we as God’s children had made good strides towards shalom, and where we had fallen short. And I saw in my own life where I could do better at being a peacemaker and a peacekeeper.



I have thought a lot about peace issues and what it means to live in shalom. It does not mean we submit to everything and anything. It does not even have to mean that there is never any tension or dissonance in relationships. What it does mean is that even if there are differences, we do not resort to hatred, aggression or violence. In the best of scenarios we celebrate the diversity that is humanity; in the worst of scenarios we agree to disagree and let each person practice what seems good to them and does not hurt others.



I think the reason many people cannot embrace peace is because they are too occupies with holding on to grudges and hurt feelings. In order to live in peace you have resolve and let go of the things that cause unrest within one’s self.



I like that this verse comes on the last day of the 365 days of peace. Swords into plowshares and spears into pruning hooks are good metaphors for turning the feelings and opinions that cause hatred, aggression and violence into feelings and opinions simply define who we are and what we believe in. If we can define ourselves without causing hurt to another, that will go a long way towards peace and shalom.



May you gentle reader go forward into the New Year freshly resolved to live in peace so that others may peacefully live. Selah!



Written by Carole

December 31, 2010 at 12:18 am

Posted in commentary

.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Website


Soul Space

You are invited to take some time each day for "Soul Space," written by Wendy Miller and posted on the Eastern Mennonite University website. Each day's guidance centers around a theme for reflection and prayer drawn from the lectionary readings for the week.



Morning-Week Three


Opening the day with prayer.



Wake me up, dear God,

Help me.

Open the eyes of my soul;

Help me to see.

Open the ears of my heart;

Help me to hear.



I am slow in leaving the world of sleep.

Wake me up, dear God.



Be assured that God hears us, helps us.

These morning prayers are a signal of our desire,

our intent for the day to come.

They need not be long. We need not linger.

There will be another, more spacious time in which

to sink more deeply into prayer, reading and

reflection; to listening and responding.



Sheltering God, Abba Amma, you have brought us in safety

to this new day.

Keep us under the wings of your protection, that we may not lose sight

of your ways, nor what you are about this day.

Keep us steady in trust, hope, and love in the face of adversity.

And in all we do, direct us in the ways of your gracious and life-giving

purpose;

In the name of Jesus, Immanuel, God with us. Amen.



Coming




Dear God,

As I turn aside from the world

From work

From action

From tending

Even now, in these twelve days of Christmas

Help me as I come

Still my tired and anxious feet

Settle my heart and mind into rest

Holy Spirit

Tend the space within the house of my soul

The inn of Your dwelling

Where you receive and welcome my coming.

Amen



Silence



Be still.

Open your awareness to God’s presence

Within and all around.

“Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)



Responding


The third movement within Soul Space is Responding. Here we shift our focus towards outward engagement.



Monday



Tuesday



Wednesday



Thursday



Friday


Pray for the coming day. Pray for persons, families, who need the healing and compassionate care of Jesus, especially for ___________________________ .



Dear God and Father, You who mother us with your mercy, and gentle us into peace with your consolation, console us in all our suffering and affliction So that we may be able to console those who suffer with the comfort and care we receive from you.



By your kind Spirit, be present with those who suffer and are crushed. Breathe your comfort and consolation upon the dry ground of their despair. Through your grace and saving love, surround them with your protection, give them healing and restoration.



In the name of Jesus, our Healer and Burden Bearer. Amen.



*Based on 2 Cor.1:3-5



CLOSING PRAYER



Loving God,

Help me to listen deeply.

Help me to see your design

Behind and within all that is

Lord Jesus, be my light

Rescue me from the void of the dark,

The anxious clutter and violence of this world.

Bend my heart to stay . . . to love . . .

To embrace your coming in Jesus,

Our true Light.

Amen.



Evening- Week Three


It is a good thing . . .

To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning

And of your faithfulness in the night season.



Kind Spirit of God,

As I come to the end of this day,

Help me to see this day as you see,

To hear voice of Jesus in what I see and hear.



Read the psalm for this week’s lectionary readings.



Silence



Reflection



As I reflect back on this day . . .

For what am I thankful?

In what way have I cooperated with God in bringing justice to the oppressed

freedom to persons who are captive

sight to those who cannot see

relief and support to those who are bowed down

support and comfort to the orphan and widow . . .?



Where have I been aware of your help and faithful companioning?

What do I bring for your holding and tending?



Closing Prayer



Caring and loving God, I bring all of this day—all the pieces that fit, and all the parts that are unfinished and in need of tending, in my own life and in the lives of those I have touched this day. As we sleep this night, continue to work your way of justice for those who are oppressed, and freedom for those who are captive. Bring sight to those who cannot see, and relief and comfort to the poor and needy.



In the name of Jesus, who was born in nakedness and poverty among us, and who brings us the good news of your gracious reign, now and coming.



Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment