Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Daily Readings For Tuesday, 28 December (19 Tahsis 2003)

From kidusmarkos.org and ethiopiantewahedo.org:

Daily Readings:

Week Three, Day Three
The Seventeenth Day


Saints/Martyrs/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated:  the Fast of the Nativity

+ Arch angel Gabriel



saint abba julian

The Seventeenth Day


a candle
 
Morning Prayer




In the name of the Father



Opening prayer



Lord, our Almighty King and God, by whom our entire lives are governed with your unfailing wisdom and love, take away from us all that is harmful and give us all that will be for our good. We ask this in our morning prayer to hear us. Amen. Our Father….O my Lady Mary…



Psalm 86: 1-17/end



86:1 Bow down your ear, O Lord, hear me: for I am poor and needy. 86:2 Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save your servant that trusts in thee. 86:3 Be merciful to me, O Lord: for I cry to thee daily. 86:4 Rejoice the soul of your servant: for to thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. 86:5 For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy to all them that call upon thee. 86:6 Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. 86:7 In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me. 86:8 Among the gods there is none like to thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like to your works. 86:9 All nations whom you have made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify your name. 86:10 For you are great, and doest wondrous things: you are God alone. 86:11 Teach me your way, O Lord; I will walk in your truth: unite my heart to fear your name. 86:12 I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify your name forevermore. 86:13 For great is your mercy toward me: and you have delivered my soul from the lowest hell. 86:14 O God, the proud are risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; and have not set thee before them. 86:15 But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, long suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. 86:16 O turn to me, and have mercy upon me; give your strength to your servant, and save the son of your handmaid. 86:17 Show me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: because thou, Lord, have helped me, and comforted me. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning….



Psalm 87: 1-7



87:1 His foundation is in the holy mountains. 87:2 The Lord loves the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob. 87:3 Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God. Selah. 87:4 I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to them that know me: behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia; this man was born there. 87:5 And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the highest himself shall establish her. 87:6 The Lord shall count, when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there. Selah. 87:7 As well the singers as the players on instruments shall be there: all my springs are in thee. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning….



Psalm 88: 1-18



88:1 O lord God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee: 88:2 Let my prayer come before thee: incline your ear to my cry; 88:3 For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draws nigh to the grave. 88:4 I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength: 88:5 Free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from your hand. 88:6 You have laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps. 88:7 Your wrath lies hard upon me, and you have afflicted me with all your waves. Selah. 88:8 You have put away mine acquaintance far from me; you have made me an abomination to them: I am shut up, and I cannot come forth. 88:9 Mine eye mourns by reason of affliction: Lord, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands to thee. 88:10 Wilt thou show wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah. 88:11 Shall your loving-kindness be declared in the grave? or your faithfulness in destruction? 88:12 Shall your wonders be known in the dark? and your righteousness in the land of forgetfulness? 88:13 But to thee have I cried, O Lord; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee. 88:14 Lord, why castest thou off my soul? why hide your face from me? 88:15 I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer your terrors I am distracted. 88:16 Your fierce wrath goes over me; your terrors have cut me off. 88:17 They came round about me daily like water; they compassed me about together. 88:18 Lover and friend have you put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning….



Scripture Readings

saint yared 2

Kidus Yared




1st Readings



Isaiah 1: 16-17



1:16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. He who receives the prophet the by the name of the prophet, shall receive the prophet’s …



2nd Reading



Colossians 4: 2-4



4:2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Withal praying also for us, that God would open to us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak. He who receives the Apostle by the name of the Apostle shall receive the Apostle’s reward. Amen



3rd Reading (Chant)



Psalm 86: 1-2



86:1 Bow down your ear, O Lord, hear me: for I am poor and needy. Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save your servant that trusts in thee. Halleluiah, stand up and harken to the Holy Gospel, the message of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.



4th Reading



The Gospel of St. Luke 16: 30-31



16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went to them from the dead, they will repent. And he said to him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. It is easier for heaven and to pass, than one ….



Concluding prayer



O Lord, our Almighty Father, who never fails to help and govern them whom you to bring up in your steadfast fear and love; keep us, we beg you, under the protection of your good providence, and make us to have perpetual fear and love of your Holy name; now and forever and ever. Amen. Our Father…O my Lady Mary…



qidus estefanos
 
Day 17


a candle
 
Evening prayer




In the name of the Father ….



Opening prayer



Lord Jesus Christ who are the image of the unseen God, the first-born of all creation, and the first to be born from the dead. All things are to reconciled through you because you made peace by your death on the Cross. We pray to you and ask you to come to us tonight in your great mercy and love. Amen. Our Father.. O my Lady Mary…



Psalm 89: 1-52



89:1 I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever: with my mouth will I make known your faithfulness to all generations. 89:2 For I have said, Mercy shall be built up forever: your faithfulness shall thou establish in the very heavens. 89:3 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn to David my servant, 89:4 Your seed will I establish forever, and build up your throne to all generations. Selah. 89:5 And the heavens shall praise your wonders, O Lord: your faithfulness also in the congregation of the saints. 89:6 For who in the heaven can be compared to the Lord? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened to the Lord? 89:7 God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him. 89:8 O Lord God of hosts, who is a strong Lord like to thee? or to your faithfulness round about thee? 89:9 Thou rulest the raging of the sea: when the waves thereof arise, thou stillest them. 89:10 You have broken Rahab in pieces, as one that is slain; you have scattered your enemies with your strong arm. 89:11 The heavens are your, the earth also is your: as for the world and the fulness thereof, you have founded them. 89:12 The north and the south you have created them: Tabor and Hermon shall rejoice in your name. 89:13 You have a mighty arm: strong is your hand, and high is your right hand. 89:14 Justice and judgment are the habitation of your throne: mercy and truth shall go before your face. 89:15 Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O Lord, in the light of your countenance. 89:16 In your name shall they rejoice all the day: and in your righteousness shall they be exalted. 89:17 For you are the glory of their strength: and in your favour our horn shall be exalted. 89:18 For the Lord is our defence; and the Holy One of Israel is our king. 89:19 Then thou spakest in vision to your holy one, and saidst, I have laid help upon one that is mighty; I have exalted one chosen out of the people. 89:20 I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him: 89:21 With whom my hand shall be established: mine arm also shall strengthen him. 89:22 The enemy shall not exact upon him; nor the son of wickedness afflict him. 89:23 And I will beat down his foes before his face, and plague them that hate him. 89:24 But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted. 89:25 I will set his hand also in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers. 89:26 He shall cry to me, You are my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation. 89:27 Also I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth. 89:28 My mercy will I keep for him forevermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him. 89:29 His seed also will I make to endure forever, and his throne as the days of heaven. 89:30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments; 89:31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; 89:32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes. 89:33 Nevertheless my loving-kindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. 89:34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. 89:35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie to David. 89:36 His seed shall endure forever, and his throne as the sun before me. 89:37 It shall be established forever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah. 89:38 But you have cast off and abhorred, you have been wroth with your anointed. 89:39 You have made void the covenant of your servant: you have profaned his crown by casting it to the ground. 89:40 You have broken down all his hedges; you have brought his strong holds to ruin. 89:41 All that pass by the way spoil him: he is a reproach to his neighbours. 89:42 You have set up the right hand of his adversaries; you have made all his enemies to rejoice. 89:43 You have also turned the edge of his sword, and have not made him to stand in the battle. 89:44 You have made his glory to cease, and cast his throne down to the ground. 89:45 The days of his youth have you shortened: you have covered him with shame. Selah. 89:46 How long, Lord? wilt thou hide thyself forever? shall your wrath burn like fire? 89:47 Remember how short my time is: wherefore have you made all men in vain? 89:48 What man is he that lives, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah. 89:49 Lord, where are your former loving kindnesses, which thou swarest to David in your truth? 89:50 Remember, Lord, the reproach of your servants; how I do bear in my bosom the reproach of all the mighty people; 89:51 Wherewith your enemies have reproached, O Lord; wherewith they have reproached the footsteps of your anointed. 89:52 Blessed be the Lord forevermore. Amen, and Amen. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning….



Scripture Readings

the four beasts

The Four Gospels




1st Reading



Proverbs 3: 1-5



3:1 My son, forget not my law; but let your heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee. Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about your neck; write them upon the table of your heart: So shall thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not to your own understanding. He who receives the prophet the by the name of the prophet, shall receive the prophet’s …



2nd Reading



Ephesians 2: 7-10



2:7 That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. He who receives the Apostle by the name of the Apostle shall receive the Apostle’s reward. Amen



Ephesians 3: 1-5



3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he made known to me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it is now revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; He who receives the Apostle by the name of the Apostle shall receive the Apostle’s reward. Amen



3rd Reading (Chant)





Psalm 89: 1-2



89:1 I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever: with my mouth will I make known your faithfulness to all generations. 89:2 For I have said, Mercy shall be built up forever: your faithfulness shall thou establish in the very heavens. Halleluiah, stand up and harken to the Holy Gospel, the message of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.



4th Reading



The Gospel of St. Luke 9: 18-21



9:18 And it came to pass, as he was alone praying, his disciples were with him: and he asked them, saying, Whom say the people that I am? They answering said, John the Baptist; but some say, Elias; and others say, that one of the old prophets is risen again. He said to them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God. And he strictly charged them, and commanded them to tell no man that thing; It is easier for heaven and to pass, than one ….



Concluding prayer



God our king and our creator, who chose us to posses salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ who died for us in order that we might live together with Him, whether we are alive or dead when He comes in glory. We ask you in our evening prayer to help us to stand firm in faith and love of you. We make our prayer in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and the Holy Spirit. Amen. Our Father…O my Lady Mary…….


The Synaxarium:

THE FOURTH MONTH


TAHISAS 19

(December 28)



IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER AND THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT,

ONE GOD. AMEN.



On this day died the honorable father, Abba John, Bishop of the city of Burles. This holy man was a member of a priestly family, and his parents were people of high rank, and they gave of their goods to the poor and needy. When his parents died he took the money which they had left him and he built therewith a church, and he also built a guest house wherein pilgrims and sick folk gathered together; and he himself ministered unto them, and brought to them whatsoever they wanted. And at that time there came to him a certain monk, and he saw what he was doing, and this monk praised the ascetic life to him and made manifest to him the honor thereof; and after that monk had departed, he gave all his goods to the poor, and he went into the desert of Scete in the days of Abba Daniel, Abbot of the desert of Scete, and he became a monk with him and fought a great fight. And then he dwelt alone in his cell, and the Satans envied him because of his good fight, and they beat him very severely, and finally he was obliged to lie prostrate for many days because of the beatings wherewith the Satans beat him. After this our Lord Christ healed him, and he became strong in His power and overcame the Satans and, after this, by the Will of God, he was made Bishop of the city of Burles; now in his days there was much dissension (or schism) in the cities. And he toiled with great labor to pluck out the tares from among the wheat, and he turned many people from their schism and brought them into the True Faith. And in those days there was a certain monk from Upper Egypt, who talked much, and he used to say, “Michael revealeth it to me”; and he led astray many men. And when the saint knew that his work was evil, and that he was of Satan, he commanded [his servants] to seize him and to beat him; and when they had beaten him the man confessed his error, and they removed him from the city. And there was another [monk] who used to say, “Anthony the prophet appeared unto me and told me many mysteries”; and very many men followed him. And the saint took that man, and put an end to his teaching, and he destroyed and tore in pieces all the books whereby he introduced schisms into the church. And every time when John went up into the sanctuary to consecrate the Offering, his face used to become like fire, and his body like fire, and he seemed to be like one who was issuing from a fiery furnace. And when he began to recite the Liturgy tears used to roll down his face like rain, for he could see clearly the hosts of the angels on the altar; and again [he saw them] when he said, “Holy” thrice. And when he laid his fingers upon the cup to sign the Offering with the Cross, at the moment of breaking the bread he would find that it was like burning fire. And in his days there were evil men and heretics, whom Satan led into error, who offered up the Offering twice a day, after they had eaten; and he anathematized them and excommunicated them so that [men] might not do this evil thing. And when they would not hearken to his voice, he prayed to God concerning them, and his petition was accepted, and God sent down fire from heaven and consumed their leader; and when those who remained saw this they feared exceedingly and entered the True Faith. And then God wished to give John rest from the labor of this fleeting world, and He sent unto him the Saints Abba Anthony and Abba Macarius to inform him of the time of his death. Then John gathered together the people and commanded them to love each other, and to be strong in the True Faith, and then he lay down upon his bed and died in peace. Salutation to John who at the time of the Eucharist found the cup red-hot.



And on this day also [the Babylonians] threw Ananias, Azarias, and Misael into the furnace.



And on this day also is celebrated the great Festival of the Annunciation of Gabriel the angel [to our Lady Mary].



Glory be to God Who is glorified in His Saints. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment