Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Episcopalian Daily And Commemmorative Readings For Tuesday, 28 December

From satucket.com, wapedia.com, forewardmovement.org, oremus.org:

Daily Readings:


Saints/Martyrs/Heroes/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated:  the Fourth Day of Christmas, St. John the Apostle and Evangelist

JOHN


APOSTLE AND EVANGELIST (27 DEC NT)



St. JohnJohn, son of Zebedee, was one of the twelve apostles of Our Lord. Together with his brother James and with Simon Peter, he formed a kind of inner circle of Three among the Twelve, in that those three were privileged to behold the miracle of the Great Catch of Fish (L 5:10), the healing of Peter's mother-in-law (P 1:29), the raising of the daughter of Jairus (P 5:37 = L 8:51), the Transfiguration (M 17:1 = P 9:2 = L 9:28), and the Agony in Gethsemane (M 26:37 = P 14:33). He expressed a willingness to undergo martyrdom (M 20:22 = P 10:39) -- as did the other apostles (M 26:35 = P 14:31) -- and is accordingly called a martyr in intention. However, we have ancient testimony that, although imprisoned and exiled for his testimony to the Gospel, he was eventually released and died a natural death in Ephesus: "a martyr in will but not in deed."



John is credited with the authorship of three epistles and one Gospel, although many scholars believe that the final editing of the Gospel was done by others shortly after his death. He is also supposed by many to be the author of the book of Revelation, also called the Apocalypse, although this identification is less certain. For a discussion of the authorship of the Gospel of John, consult the Web page http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kilroy/CHRISTIA/library/john.html



by James Kiefer





Scriptural Readings:

Morning Office:

Psalm 97


The Glory of God’s Reign

1 The Lord is king! Let the earth rejoice;

let the many coastlands be glad!

2 Clouds and thick darkness are all around him;

righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne.

3 Fire goes before him,

and consumes his adversaries on every side.

4 His lightnings light up the world;

the earth sees and trembles.

5 The mountains melt like wax before the Lord,

before the Lord of all the earth.





6 The heavens proclaim his righteousness;

and all the peoples behold his glory.

7 All worshippers of images are put to shame,

those who make their boast in worthless idols;

all gods bow down before him.

8 Zion hears and is glad,

and the towns* of Judah rejoice,

because of your judgements, O God.

9 For you, O Lord, are most high over all the earth;

you are exalted far above all gods.





10 The Lord loves those who hate* evil;

he guards the lives of his faithful;

he rescues them from the hand of the wicked.

11 Light dawns* for the righteous,

and joy for the upright in heart.

12 Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous,

and give thanks to his holy name!

 
Psalm 98


Praise the Judge of the WorldA Psalm.

1 O sing to the Lord a new song,

for he has done marvellous things.

His right hand and his holy arm

have gained him victory.

2 The Lord has made known his victory;

he has revealed his vindication in the sight of the nations.

3 He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness

to the house of Israel.

All the ends of the earth have seen

the victory of our God.





4 Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth;

break forth into joyous song and sing praises.

5 Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre,

with the lyre and the sound of melody.

6 With trumpets and the sound of the horn

make a joyful noise before the King, the Lord.





7 Let the sea roar, and all that fills it;

the world and those who live in it.

8 Let the floods clap their hands;

let the hills sing together for joy

9 at the presence of the Lord, for he is coming

to judge the earth.

He will judge the world with righteousness,

and the peoples with equity.

 
Proverbs 8:22-30


Wisdom’s Part in Creation

22 The Lord created me at the beginning* of his work,*

the first of his acts of long ago.

23 Ages ago I was set up,

at the first, before the beginning of the earth.

24 When there were no depths I was brought forth,

when there were no springs abounding with water.

25 Before the mountains had been shaped,

before the hills, I was brought forth—

26 when he had not yet made earth and fields,*

or the world’s first bits of soil.

27 When he established the heavens, I was there,

when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,

28 when he made firm the skies above,

when he established the fountains of the deep,

29 when he assigned to the sea its limit,

so that the waters might not transgress his command,

when he marked out the foundations of the earth,

30 then I was beside him, like a master worker;*

and I was daily his* delight,

rejoicing before him always,

 
John 13:20-3520Very truly, I tell you, whoever receives one whom I send receives me; and whoever receives me receives him who sent me.’


Jesus Foretells His Betrayal21 After saying this Jesus was troubled in spirit, and declared, ‘Very truly, I tell you, one of you will betray me.’ 22The disciples looked at one another, uncertain of whom he was speaking. 23One of his disciples—the one whom Jesus loved—was reclining next to him; 24Simon Peter therefore motioned to him to ask Jesus of whom he was speaking. 25So while reclining next to Jesus, he asked him, ‘Lord, who is it?’ 26Jesus answered, ‘It is the one to whom I give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.’* So when he had dipped the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas son of Simon Iscariot.* 27After he received the piece of bread,* Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, ‘Do quickly what you are going to do.’ 28Now no one at the table knew why he said this to him. 29Some thought that, because Judas had the common purse, Jesus was telling him, ‘Buy what we need for the festival’; or, that he should give something to the poor. 30So, after receiving the piece of bread, he immediately went out. And it was night.

The New Commandment31 When he had gone out, Jesus said, ‘Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him. 32If God has been glorified in him,* God will also glorify him in himself and will glorify him at once. 33Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, “Where I am going, you cannot come.” 34I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. 35By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.’

 
 
Evening Office:
 
Psalm 145


The Greatness and the Goodness of GodPraise. Of David.

1 I will extol you, my God and King,

and bless your name for ever and ever.

2 Every day I will bless you,

and praise your name for ever and ever.

3 Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;

his greatness is unsearchable.





4 One generation shall laud your works to another,

and shall declare your mighty acts.

5 On the glorious splendour of your majesty,

and on your wondrous works, I will meditate.

6 The might of your awesome deeds shall be proclaimed,

and I will declare your greatness.

7 They shall celebrate the fame of your abundant goodness,

and shall sing aloud of your righteousness.





8 The Lord is gracious and merciful,

slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.

9 The Lord is good to all,

and his compassion is over all that he has made.





10 All your works shall give thanks to you, O Lord,

and all your faithful shall bless you.

11 They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom,

and tell of your power,

12 to make known to all people your* mighty deeds,

and the glorious splendour of your* kingdom.

13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,

and your dominion endures throughout all generations.





The Lord is faithful in all his words,

and gracious in all his deeds.*

14 The Lord upholds all who are falling,

and raises up all who are bowed down.

15 The eyes of all look to you,

and you give them their food in due season.

16 You open your hand,

satisfying the desire of every living thing.

17 The Lord is just in all his ways,

and kind in all his doings.

18 The Lord is near to all who call on him,

to all who call on him in truth.

19 He fulfils the desire of all who fear him;

he also hears their cry, and saves them.

20 The Lord watches over all who love him,

but all the wicked he will destroy.





21 My mouth will speak the praise of the Lord,

and all flesh will bless his holy name for ever and ever.

 
Isaiah 44:1-8


God’s Blessing on Israel44But now hear, O Jacob my servant,

Israel whom I have chosen!

2 Thus says the Lord who made you,

who formed you in the womb and will help you:

Do not fear, O Jacob my servant,

Jeshurun whom I have chosen.

3 For I will pour water on the thirsty land,

and streams on the dry ground;

I will pour my spirit upon your descendants,

and my blessing on your offspring.

4 They shall spring up like a green tamarisk,

like willows by flowing streams.

5 This one will say, ‘I am the Lord’s’,

another will be called by the name of Jacob,

yet another will write on the hand, ‘The Lord’s’,

and adopt the name of Israel.





6 Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel

and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:

I am the first and I am the last;

besides me there is no god.

7 Who is like me? Let them proclaim it,

let them declare and set it forth before me.

Who has announced from of old the things to come?*

Let them tell us* what is yet to be.

8 Do not fear, or be afraid;

have I not told you from of old and declared it?

You are my witnesses!

Is there any god besides me?

There is no other rock; I know not one.



1 John 5:1-12


Faith Conquers the World5Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ* has been born of God, and everyone who loves the parent loves the child. 2By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3For the love of God is this, that we obey his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome, 4for whatever is born of God conquers the world. And this is the victory that conquers the world, our faith. 5Who is it that conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

Testimony concerning the Son of God6 This is the one who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only but with the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one that testifies, for the Spirit is the truth. 7There are three that testify:* 8the Spirit and the water and the blood, and these three agree. 9If we receive human testimony, the testimony of God is greater; for this is the testimony of God that he has testified to his Son. 10Those who believe in the Son of God have the testimony in their hearts. Those who do not believe in God* have made him a liar by not believing in the testimony that God has given concerning his Son. 11And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

 
 
Eucharistic/Commemmorative Readings:
 
Psalm 92


Thanksgiving for VindicationA Psalm. A Song for the Sabbath Day.

1 It is good to give thanks to the Lord,

to sing praises to your name, O Most High;

2 to declare your steadfast love in the morning,

and your faithfulness by night,

3 to the music of the lute and the harp,

to the melody of the lyre.

4 For you, O Lord, have made me glad by your work;

at the works of your hands I sing for joy.





5 How great are your works, O Lord!

Your thoughts are very deep!

6 The dullard cannot know,

the stupid cannot understand this:

7 though the wicked sprout like grass

and all evildoers flourish,

they are doomed to destruction for ever,

8 but you, O Lord, are on high for ever.

9 For your enemies, O Lord,

for your enemies shall perish;

all evildoers shall be scattered.





10 But you have exalted my horn like that of the wild ox;

you have poured over me* fresh oil.

11 My eyes have seen the downfall of my enemies;

my ears have heard the doom of my evil assailants.





12 The righteous flourish like the palm tree,

and grow like a cedar in Lebanon.

13 They are planted in the house of the Lord;

they flourish in the courts of our God.

14 In old age they still produce fruit;

they are always green and full of sap,

15 showing that the Lord is upright;

he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.

 
Exodus 33:18-2318Moses said, ‘Show me your glory, I pray.’ 19And he said, ‘I will make all my goodness pass before you, and will proclaim before you the name, “The Lord”;* and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. 20But’, he said, ‘you cannot see my face; for no one shall see me and live.’ 21And the Lord continued, ‘See, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock; 22and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by; 23then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back; but my face shall not be seen.’


 
1 John 1:1-9


THE FIRST LETTER OFJohn

The Word of Life1We declare to you what was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— 2this life was revealed, and we have seen it and testify to it, and declare to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us— 3we declare to you what we have seen and heard so that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4We are writing these things so that our* joy may be complete.

God Is Light5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light and in him there is no darkness at all. 6If we say that we have fellowship with him while we are walking in darkness, we lie and do not do what is true; 7but if we walk in the light as he himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 
John 21:9-24


9 When they had gone ashore, they saw a charcoal fire there, with fish on it, and bread. 10Jesus said to them, ‘Bring some of the fish that you have just caught.’ 11So Simon Peter went aboard and hauled the net ashore, full of large fish, a hundred and fifty-three of them; and though there were so many, the net was not torn. 12Jesus said to them, ‘Come and have breakfast.’ Now none of the disciples dared to ask him, ‘Who are you?’ because they knew it was the Lord. 13Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and did the same with the fish. 14This was now the third time that Jesus appeared to the disciples after he was raised from the dead.

Jesus and Peter15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my lambs.’ 16A second time he said to him, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Tend my sheep.’ 17He said to him the third time, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ And he said to him, ‘Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my sheep. 18Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go.’ 19(He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.) After this he said to him, ‘Follow me.’

Jesus and the Beloved Disciple20 Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them; he was the one who had reclined next to Jesus at the supper and had said, ‘Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?’ 21When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, ‘Lord, what about him?’ 22Jesus said to him, ‘If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? Follow me!’ 23So the rumour spread in the community* that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, ‘If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?’*

24 This is the disciple who is testifying to these things and has written them, and we know that his testimony is true.

 
PRAYER (traditional language)


Merciful Lord, we beseech thee to cast thy bright beams of light upon thy Church, that we, being illumined by the teaching of thine apostle and evangelist John, may so walk in the light of thy truth, that we may at length attain to the fullness of life everlasting; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.



PRAYER (contemporary language)

Shed upon your Church, O Lord, the brightness of your light; that we, being illumined by the teaching of your apostle and evangelist John, may so walk in the light of your truth, that at length we may attain to the fullness of eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.





Return to Lectionary Home Page



Webmaster: Charles Wohlers



Last updated: 18 Nov. 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment