Saturday, December 25, 2010

Mennonite Daily Readings/Devotionals For Saturday, 25 December

From thirdway.com, biblegateway.com, asimpledesire.wordpress.com, emu.edu:

Daily Readings/Devotionals:

Daily Scripture:


HOPE

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.



Reference: Isaiah 9:6

Isaiah 9:6 (New King James Version)


6 For unto us a Child is born,

Unto us a Son is given;

And the government will be upon His shoulder.

And His name will be called

Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,

Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.



Related Blog


A Simple Desire

The weblog "a simple desire" provides brief commentaries on "A Sip of Scripture" from a Mennonite perspective, The commentaries are written by Carole Boshart, of Oregon; Will Fitzgerald, of Michigan; and others on occasion.



a simple desireShort commentary on “A Sip of Scripture” from Third Way Cafe


Unto us is born . . . Peace

leave a comment »



“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” ( Isaiah 9:6 )



Prophecy is a tricky thing. Isaiah lived 700 years before Jesus. Did Isaiah know he was speaking about the person we would call Jesus? Or was Isaiah talking about the Messiah that was hoped for? For many Jews who lived while Jesus walked the earth, he was not the Messiah they were expecting. How do you view Jesus? What do you expect and hope Jesus will do in your life?



The Jesus that we hold in our hearts and envision this day is but a baby just newly born and helpless to anything for himself much less hold the government on his shoulders and be anything like the wondrous man Isaiah describes. But consider gentle reader, how able are we to get ourselves out of the predicaments we find ourselves in? How able are we to bring about lasting peace? How able are we to comfort the sick, help the needy, and save the dying? About as able as a new born baby.



Jesus came into this world helpless. But he left this world having saved us all. That is the gift, and mystery of Jesus who is both human and divine, that comes to us at Christmas time.



May you gentle reader be gifted by the presence of the Holy Spirit who was given to us by the baby born this season. Selah!



Written by Carole

December 25, 2010 at 12:44 am



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Website


Soul Space

You are invited to take some time each day for "Soul Space," written by Wendy Miller and posted on the Eastern Mennonite University website. Each day's guidance centers around a theme for reflection and prayer drawn from the lectionary readings for the week.



Morning-Week Two


Lord of the dawn –

You who bring morning light

to bless field and hill,

Roof and window;

Open my eye to see,

Beckon my ear to hear,

Waken my soul to follow you into this day.



Prayer for the day:

Bless to me, O God,

Each thing mine eye sees;

Each sound mine ear hears;

All that I taste;

Each word I speak;

Each note I sing;

Each ray of light that guides my way,

Each one I meet;

Bless to me, O God.

The Three that seek my heart,

The Three that make Your home in me

Bless to me, O God.



From a “Prayer at rising”, adapted.



Coming


Dear God,

Store shelves are empty

Gift-wrapping lays crumpled on the floor

Waiting to be trashed.

Left-overs crowd the refrigerator shelves

The busyness of Christmas is over.



Lead my tired feet to Bethlehem

To the house where Jesus lays.

Help me to move with the Great Conspiracy

Of your coming among us,

Even as terror and tears

Still line the shelves of world news

And hopes and dreams lay crumpled among the rubble

And people’s lives continue to be trashed.



Waken my heart to your presence

Among us, here, among the rubble and tears.

Still me into listening for your presence and voice.



Silence



Be still.



Open your awareness to God’s presence

Within and all around.



“Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)



Responding


The third movement within Soul Space is Responding. Here we shift our focus towards outward engagement.



Monday



Tuesday



Wednesday



Thursday



Friday



Saturday


Pray for the coming day. Pray for persons who are seeking God; persons who are sensing a need for “something more”, and for the work of the Holy Spirit who sheds Christ’s light on the path of those who are searching for the “way home,” especially for _____________________.



Lord Jesus, Shepherd who seeks, By your Spirit, be present in our world today. Companion those who are lost and seeking a way home, Give light in their darkness, especially to _____________________. Give them clarity and guidance in the fog of their restlessness. As they ache for rest in God, lead them home to your loving and merciful Abba who yearns for their return, and waits on the front porch of the kingdom to greet them.

Shepherd me this day to be a patient listener, a hospitable companion, and a guide who helps others discover your presence and work in their lives.

In your great name, Amen



Pray the prayer Jesus taught his disciples:



Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come,

your will be done,

on earth as in heaven.



Give us today our daily bread.

Forgive us our sins

as we forgive those who sin against us.

Save us from the time of trial

and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever.



Amen.



INTERCESSION



Pray for the coming day, and for God to call persons into the work of co-laboring in the field of God’s harvest.



Walk among us, dear God,

By your Spirit knock at the doors or our soul;

help us to hear your call.

Draw us to your side as you watch the multitude,

contemplating how lost and harrassed people are,

like sheep who have strayed and have no shepherd.

Plant the fertile seed of compassion in the soil of

the soul of your servants. Tend its roots, crush its fruit, that we

may weep and feel the loads the world carries and

cannot lay down. Open our ears to hear your

call to embody and bear your Good News.

In the name of Jesus, who calls us to co-labor with him,

to be yoked in the labor of field and furrow—the earth

of your kingdom.



Amen.



-(adapted from Prayers for the Battle by Ted Loder)



CLOSING PRAYER



Loving God,

Help me to hear your wake-up call,

To listen deeply to your voice.

Awaken my mind and soul to your work

Within and among us through the Holy Spirit.

Help me not to run into anxious avoidance,

Not to be caught in the anxious clutches of this world.

Bend my heart to stay . . . to love . . . to wait

To embrace your coming in Jesus.

Amen.



Evening-Week Two


Come to me you who are tired, worn down from carrying heavy loads,

and I will give you rest. Learn my ways, for my ways are gentle, and I am humble at heart, and you will find rest for your soul.

Matthew 11:28-30 (paraphrased)



As I come to the end of this day, and turn towards you, Burden Bearer, Rest Giver,



What am I carrying?



What wears me down, makes me tired?



What do I bring to you . . . ?



For forgiveness . . .



For healing . . .



For help . . .



For holding.



Read the psalm for this week’s lectionary readings.



Silence



Closing Prayer



In you, O Lord, I have taken refuge:

Hear me as I come . . .

Be my resting place;

I will both lie me down and sleep in peace;

For you alone, O Lord, make me lie down in safety.

Into your hands I commend myself and those I love.

Psalms 4:8; 31:1-5 (paraphrased)

No comments:

Post a Comment