Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Greek Orthodox Church In America Daily Readings For Wednesday, 26 January

From The Greek Orthodox Arch-Diocese of America;

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +




Daily Scripture Readings and Lives of the Saints for Wednesday, January 26, 2011



Strict Fast



Readings for today:



St. Paul's Second Letter to the Corinthians 1:21-24; 2:1-4

Luke 19:1-10



Feasts and Saints celebrated today:



Wednesday of the 15th Week

Xenophon & his Companions

Symeon the Elder of Mount Sinai





Epistle Reading



The reading is from St. Paul's Second Letter to the Corinthians 1:21-24; 2:1-4



BRETHREN, it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has

commissioned us; he has put his seal upon us and given us his Spirit in our

hearts as a guarantee.



But I call God to witness against me - it was to spare you that I

refrained from coming to Corinth. Not that we lord it over your faith; we

work with you for your joy, for you stand firm in your faith. For I

made up my mind not to make you another painful visit. For if I cause

you pain, who is there to make me glad but the one whom I have

pained? And I wrote as I did, so that when I came I might not suffer pain

from those who should have made me rejoice, for I felt sure of all of

you, that my joy would be the joy of you all. For I wrote you out of

much affliction and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause

you pain but to let you know the abundant love that I have for you.



(C) 2011 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America



Gospel Reading



The reading is from Luke 19:1-10



At that time, Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. And

there was a man named Zacchaios; he was a chief collector, and rich.

And he sought to see who Jesus was, but could not, on account of the

crowd, because he was small of stature. So he ran on ahead and climbed

up into a sycamore tree to see him, for he was to pass that way. And

when Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him,

"Zacchaios, make haste and come down; for I must stay at your house today."

So he made haste and came down, and received him joyfully. And when

they saw it they all murmured, "He has gone in to be the guest of a

man who is a sinner." And Zacchaios stood and said to the Lord,

"Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have

defrauded any one of anything, I restore it fourfold." And Jesus said to

him, "Today salvation has come to this house, since he also is a son

of Abraham. For the Son of man came to seek and to save the lost."



(C) 2011 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America





Xenophon & his Companions



Reading from the Synaxarion:



This Saint, a wealthy nobleman of Constantinople, was filled with

piety toward God. He had two sons, Arcadius and John, whom he sent to

Beirut to study law. But they were shipwrecked during their voyage;

barely saved, they forsook all things and departed for Palestine. Saint

Xenophon and his wife Mary, ignorant of what had happened, went in search

of their sons. On finding them in Jerusalem, dressed in the habit

of monks, they also took up the monastic life. And thus, having

completed their lives in holiness, they departed for the Lord about the

beginning of the sixth century. Saint Xenophon and his sons reposed at

Saint Sabbas Monastery, and Mary at the Monastery of Saint Theodosius.



Apolytikion in the Fourth Tone

O God of our Fathers, ever dealing with us according to Thy

gentleness: take not Thy mercy from us, but by their entreaties guide our

life in peace.



Kontakion in the Fourth Tone

With thy yoke-mate and thy sons didst thou keep vigil in the courts of

Christ thy Lord and thou didst cheerfully disperse thy wealth to

paupers, O blessed one. Hence, ye have all now inherited joy divine.



Reading courtesy of Holy Transfiguration Monastery

Apolytikion courtesy of Holy Transfiguration Monastery

Kontakion courtesy of Holy Transfiguration Monastery



No comments:

Post a Comment