Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Malankara Indian Syriac Orthodox Festal Readings For Wednesday, 26 January

From:  http://malankaraorthodoxchurch.in/index.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=385, biblegateway.com:




Festal Reaadings:


Saints/Martyrs/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated:  Commemoration of His Holiness Baselios Marthoma Mathews II Catholicos (Shastamkotta Mount Horeb), Commemoration of His Grace Paulose Mar Athanasios Metropolitan (Aluva Thrikunnathu Seminary)


Scriptural Readings for a Feast for a Saint:

Feast of a Saint




Evening

St. John15: 12 - 21, 16: 1 -3

John 15:12-21; John 16:1-3 (King James Version)


King James Version (KJV)

John 15:12-21





Listen to this passage

View commentary related to this passage







12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.



13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.



14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.



15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.



16Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.



17These things I command you, that ye love one another.



18If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.



19If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.



20Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.



21But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.







King James Version (KJV)

Public Domain



John 16:1-3





Listen to this passage

View commentary related to this passage







John 16

1These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.



2They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.



3And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
King James Version (KJV)

Public Domain






Morning

St. Mark 10: 28 - 31

Mark 10:28-31 (King James Version)




28Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.



29And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,



30But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.



31But many that are first shall be last; and the last first.








Before Holy Qurbana

Genesis19: 15 - 23

Genesis 19:15-23 (King James Version)




15And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.



16And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the LORD being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city.



17And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed.



18And Lot said unto them, Oh, not so, my LORD:



19Behold now, thy servant hath found grace in thy sight, and thou hast magnified thy mercy, which thou hast shewed unto me in saving my life; and I cannot escape to the mountain, lest some evil take me, and I die:



20Behold now, this city is near to flee unto, and it is a little one: Oh, let me escape thither, (is it not a little one?) and my soul shall live.



21And he said unto him, See, I have accepted thee concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow this city, for the which thou hast spoken.



22Haste thee, escape thither; for I cannot do anything till thou be come thither. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar.



23The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar.








Job 1:12 - 22

Job 1:12-22 (King James Version)




12And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.



13And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:



14And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them:



15And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.



16While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.



17While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.



18While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:



19And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.



20Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,



21And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.



22In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.








Isaiah38: 1 - 8

Isaiah 38:1-8 (King James Version)




Isaiah 38

1In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came unto him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live.



2Then Hezekiah turned his face toward the wall, and prayed unto the LORD,



3And said, Remember now, O LORD, I beseech thee, how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore.



4Then came the word of the LORD to Isaiah, saying,



5Go, and say to Hezekiah, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years.



6And I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria: and I will defend this city.



7And this shall be a sign unto thee from the LORD, that the LORD will do this thing that he hath spoken;



8Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down.








Holy Qurbana

Acts27 : 9 - 2 6

Acts 27:9-26 (King James Version)




9Now when much time was spent, and when sailing was now dangerous, because the fast was now already past, Paul admonished them,



10And said unto them, Sirs, I perceive that this voyage will be with hurt and much damage, not only of the lading and ship, but also of our lives.



11Nevertheless the centurion believed the master and the owner of the ship, more than those things which were spoken by Paul.



12And because the haven was not commodious to winter in, the more part advised to depart thence also, if by any means they might attain to Phenice, and there to winter; which is an haven of Crete, and lieth toward the south west and north west.



13And when the south wind blew softly, supposing that they had obtained their purpose, loosing thence, they sailed close by Crete.



14But not long after there arose against it a tempestuous wind, called Euroclydon.



15And when the ship was caught, and could not bear up into the wind, we let her drive.



16And running under a certain island which is called Clauda, we had much work to come by the boat:



17Which when they had taken up, they used helps, undergirding the ship; and, fearing lest they should fall into the quicksands, strake sail, and so were driven.



18And we being exceedingly tossed with a tempest, the next day they lightened the ship;



19And the third day we cast out with our own hands the tackling of the ship.



20And when neither sun nor stars in many days appeared, and no small tempest lay on us, all hope that we should be saved was then taken away.



21But after long abstinence Paul stood forth in the midst of them, and said, Sirs, ye should have hearkened unto me, and not have loosed from Crete, and to have gained this harm and loss.



22And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship.



23For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,



24Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee.



25Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.



26Howbeit we must be cast upon a certain island.








Hebrews10: 33- 11: 7

Hebrews 10:33-11:7 (King James Version)




33Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used.



34For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.



35Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.



36For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.



37For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.



38Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.



39But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.



Hebrews 11

1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.



2For by it the elders obtained a good report.



3Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.



4By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.



5By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.



6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.



7By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.








St. Matthew 10: 34 - 42

Matthew 10:34-42 (King James Version)




34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.



35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.



36And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.



37He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.



38And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.



39He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.



40He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.



41He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.



42And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.





No comments:

Post a Comment