Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Episcopalian Daily Readings For Tuesday, 25 January

From satucket.com, forewardmovement.org and wapedia.com:

Daily Readings

Saints/Martyrs/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated:

THE CONVERSION OF THE APOSTLE PAUL


(JANUARY 25)



On January 25 we remember how Saul (or Paul) of Tarsus, formerly an enemy and persecutor of the early Christian Church, was led by God's grace to become one of its chief spokesmen.



detail of the Conversion of Paul, by Peter BruegelOur chief sources of information about the Apostle Paul are (1) several of his own letters, preserved for us in the New Testament, and (2) the account of him given by Luke in the book of Acts.

One naturally asks whether we can be sure that the letters attributed to Paul are in fact his. A partial answer is that a forger would run into difficulty. If he wrote a letter, say, to the church at Corinth during Paul's lifetime, and signed Paul's name, the Corinthians would naturally mention it the next time they sent a message to Paul, and Paul would naturally reply: "What are you talking about? I never wrote anything like that!" If a letter supposedly to Corinth were circulated after Paul's death, sooner or later a copy would reach Corinth, and the members of the church there would ask, "If Paul wrote this letter and sent it to us while he lived, how does it happen that no one here has ever heard of it?" Thus, it would be difficult to obtain credence for a forged letter to a congregation. This argument does not apply to a letter to an individual (such as Timothy or Titus). Moreover, it arguably does not apply to the Letter to the Ephesians. Although some ancient copies of this letter begin:



Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, to the saints who are [at Ephesus and] faithful in Christ Jesus:



other ancient copies read simply "also" instead of the bracketed words. Thus, it is widely supposed that the letter was written as a general form letter to many churches, with the name of the church to be filled in in each particular copy. This view is supported by the fact that the letter contains no personal greetings and makes no references to the past history of the congregation addressed. Now, a forger might write such a form letter, circulate it after Paul's death, and escape detection, since no particular congregation could say, "Since we did not hear of this letter before, Paul could not have written it." And accordingly, we find that it is precisely Ephesians and the Pastorals (the letters to Timothy and Titus) that are questioned by some scholars who acknowledge Paul's authorship of all the other letters claiming to be by him. (I am not counting the letter to the Hebrews, which is not signed.)

The Conversion of Paul, by CaravaggioOur other source of information is the book of Acts, where Paul (at first called Saul) appears in 7:58-8:1; 9:1-30; 11:25-30; 12:25--28:31. Here we read how Paul at first opposed and persecuted the Church, how he had a vision of Christ and was converted, and devoted the rest of his life to spreading the Gospel of Christ.

Portions of this account include statements like "we then crossed over to Troas," which are taken to mean that Luke was a companion of Paul for part of Paul's journeys. Since these accounts, particularly those of the shipwreck on Paul's last voyage, show every sign of being accurate eyewitness accounts (see the book The Voyage and Shipwreck of Saint Paul, by James Smith of Jordan Hill, FRS) and since a comparison of the style of various portions of the book of Acts makes it highly improbable that it is a scissors-and-paste job, with portions of one man's work inserted into a story by someone else, many scholars consider the claim that Acts was written by a companion of Paul to be well established.

On the other hand, it is not always clear how the chronology of Luke's account of the life of Paul is to be fitted with the autobiographical snippets we find in Paul's own writings, and for this reason some scholars dispute the genuineness of the book of Acts.

For an old but still worth-while introduction to the subject, and a defense of the conservative position, I refer the reader to A Historical Introduction to the New Testament (the title varies a bit from one edition to another) by George Salmon, FRS. A portion of this book (dealing with the authorship of the Fourth Gospel) can be obtained by sending the message GET JOHN PART2 to the address LISTSERV@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU or by consulting the Web at http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kilroy/CHRISTIA/library/john-part2.html



READING Acts 26:9-21

(Paul, on trial before Agrippa, recounts the story of his

conversion at Damascus)



PSALM 67

(God has blest us, and all the ends of the earth shall revere Him)



EPISTLE Galatians 1:11-24

(Paul writes of his conversion, and its implications)



THE HOLY GOSPEL Matthew 10:16-22

(Christ warns His disciples of persecutions to come, and encourages

them to stand firm and trust God)



by James Kiefer


Readings:



Psalm 67


The Nations Called to Praise GodTo the leader: with stringed instruments. A Psalm. A Song.

1 May God be gracious to us and bless us

and make his face to shine upon us,

Selah

2 that your way may be known upon earth,

your saving power among all nations.

3 Let the peoples praise you, O God;

let all the peoples praise you.





4 Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,

for you judge the peoples with equity

and guide the nations upon earth.

Selah

5 Let the peoples praise you, O God;

let all the peoples praise you.





6 The earth has yielded its increase;

God, our God, has blessed us.

7 May God continue to bless us;

let all the ends of the earth revere him.

 
Acts 26:9-21


9 ‘Indeed, I myself was convinced that I ought to do many things against the name of Jesus of Nazareth.* 10And that is what I did in Jerusalem; with authority received from the chief priests, I not only locked up many of the saints in prison, but I also cast my vote against them when they were being condemned to death. 11By punishing them often in all the synagogues I tried to force them to blaspheme; and since I was so furiously enraged at them, I pursued them even to foreign cities.

Paul Tells of His Conversion12 ‘With this in mind, I was travelling to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests, 13when at midday along the road, your Excellency,* I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining around me and my companions. 14When we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew* language, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It hurts you to kick against the goads.” 15I asked, “Who are you, Lord?” The Lord answered, “I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. 16But get up and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you to serve and testify to the things in which you have seen me* and to those in which I will appear to you. 17I will rescue you from your people and from the Gentiles—to whom I am sending you 18to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.”

Paul Tells of His Preaching19 ‘After that, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, 20but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout the countryside of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God and do deeds consistent with repentance. 21For this reason the Jews seized me in the temple and tried to kill me.

 
Galatians 1:11-24


Paul’s Vindication of His Apostleship11 For I want you to know, brothers and sisters,* that the gospel that was proclaimed by me is not of human origin; 12for I did not receive it from a human source, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

13 You have heard, no doubt, of my earlier life in Judaism. I was violently persecuting the church of God and was trying to destroy it. 14I advanced in Judaism beyond many among my people of the same age, for I was far more zealous for the traditions of my ancestors. 15But when God, who had set me apart before I was born and called me through his grace, was pleased 16to reveal his Son to me,* so that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles, I did not confer with any human being, 17nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were already apostles before me, but I went away at once into Arabia, and afterwards I returned to Damascus.

18 Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days; 19but I did not see any other apostle except James the Lord’s brother. 20In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie! 21Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia, 22and I was still unknown by sight to the churches of Judea that are in Christ; 23they only heard it said, ‘The one who formerly was persecuting us is now proclaiming the faith he once tried to destroy.’ 24And they glorified God because of me.

 
Matthew 10:16-22


Coming Persecutions16 ‘See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. 17Beware of them, for they will hand you over to councils and flog you in their synagogues; 18and you will be dragged before governors and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. 19When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; 20for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. 21Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; 22and you will be hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

 
Preface of Apostles






PRAYER (traditional language)

O God, who by the preaching of thine apostle Paul hast caused the light of the Gospel to shine throughout the world: Grant, we beseech thee, that we, having his wonderful conversion in remembrance, may show forth our thankfulness unto thee for the same by following the holy doctrine which he taught; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.



PRAYER (contemporary language)

O God, who by the preaching of your apostle Paul have caused the light of the Gospel to shine throughout the world: Grant, we pray, that we, having his wonderful conversion in remembrance, may show ourselves thankful to you by following his holy teaching; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.









Return to Lectionary Home Page



Webmaster: Charles Wohlers



Last updated: 15 Dec. 2001




Scriptural Readings:

Morning Office:

Psalm 45


Ode for a Royal WeddingTo the leader: according to Lilies. Of the Korahites. A Maskil. A love song.

1 My heart overflows with a goodly theme;

I address my verses to the king;

my tongue is like the pen of a ready scribe.





2 You are the most handsome of men;

grace is poured upon your lips;

therefore God has blessed you for ever.

3 Gird your sword on your thigh, O mighty one,

in your glory and majesty.





4 In your majesty ride on victoriously

for the cause of truth and to defend* the right;

let your right hand teach you dread deeds.

5 Your arrows are sharp

in the heart of the king’s enemies;

the peoples fall under you.





6 Your throne, O God,* endures for ever and ever.

Your royal sceptre is a sceptre of equity;

7 you love righteousness and hate wickedness.

Therefore God, your God, has anointed you

with the oil of gladness beyond your companions;

8 your robes are all fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia.

From ivory palaces stringed instruments make you glad;

9 daughters of kings are among your ladies of honour;

at your right hand stands the queen in gold of Ophir.





10 Hear, O daughter, consider and incline your ear;

forget your people and your father’s house,

11 and the king will desire your beauty.

Since he is your lord, bow to him;

12 the people* of Tyre will seek your favour with gifts,

the richest of the people 13with all kinds of wealth.





The princess is decked in her chamber with gold-woven robes;*

14 in many-coloured robes she is led to the king;

behind her the virgins, her companions, follow.

15 With joy and gladness they are led along

as they enter the palace of the king.





16 In the place of ancestors you, O king,* shall have sons;

you will make them princes in all the earth.

17 I will cause your name to be celebrated in all generations;

therefore the peoples will praise you for ever and ever.

 
Isaiah 48:12-21


12 Listen to me, O Jacob,

and Israel, whom I called:

I am He; I am the first,

and I am the last.

13 My hand laid the foundation of the earth,

and my right hand spread out the heavens;

when I summon them,

they stand at attention.





14 Assemble, all of you, and hear!

Who among them has declared these things?

The Lord loves him;

he shall perform his purpose on Babylon,

and his arm shall be against the Chaldeans.

15 I, even I, have spoken and called him,

I have brought him, and he will prosper in his way.

16 Draw near to me, hear this!

From the beginning I have not spoken in secret,

from the time it came to be I have been there.

And now the Lord God has sent me and his spirit.





17 Thus says the Lord,

your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:

I am the Lord your God,

who teaches you for your own good,

who leads you in the way you should go.

18 O that you had paid attention to my commandments!

Then your prosperity would have been like a river,

and your success like the waves of the sea;

19 your offspring would have been like the sand,

and your descendants like its grains;

their name would never be cut off

or destroyed from before me.





20 Go out from Babylon, flee from Chaldea,

declare this with a shout of joy, proclaim it,

send it forth to the end of the earth;

say, ‘The Lord has redeemed his servant Jacob!’

21 They did not thirst when he led them through the deserts;

he made water flow for them from the rock;

he split open the rock and the water gushed out.



Galatians 1:18-2:10


18 Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days; 19but I did not see any other apostle except James the Lord’s brother. 20In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie! 21Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia, 22and I was still unknown by sight to the churches of Judea that are in Christ; 23they only heard it said, ‘The one who formerly was persecuting us is now proclaiming the faith he once tried to destroy.’ 24And they glorified God because of me.

Paul and the Other Apostles2Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. 2I went up in response to a revelation. Then I laid before them (though only in a private meeting with the acknowledged leaders) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure that I was not running, or had not run, in vain. 3But even Titus, who was with me, was not compelled to be circumcised, though he was a Greek. 4But because of false believers* secretly brought in, who slipped in to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might enslave us— 5we did not submit to them even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might always remain with you. 6And from those who were supposed to be acknowledged leaders (what they actually were makes no difference to me; God shows no partiality)—those leaders contributed nothing to me. 7On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel for the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel for the circumcised 8(for he who worked through Peter making him an apostle to the circumcised also worked through me in sending me to the Gentiles), 9and when James and Cephas and John, who were acknowledged pillars, recognized the grace that had been given to me, they gave to Barnabas and me the right hand of fellowship, agreeing that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. 10They asked only one thing, that we remember the poor, which was actually what I was* eager to do.

 
 
Evening Office:
 
Psalm 47


God’s Rule over the NationsTo the leader. Of the Korahites. A Psalm.

1 Clap your hands, all you peoples;

shout to God with loud songs of joy.

2 For the Lord, the Most High, is awesome,

a great king over all the earth.

3 He subdued peoples under us,

and nations under our feet.

4 He chose our heritage for us,

the pride of Jacob whom he loves.

Selah





5 God has gone up with a shout,

the Lord with the sound of a trumpet.

6 Sing praises to God, sing praises;

sing praises to our King, sing praises.

7 For God is the king of all the earth;

sing praises with a psalm.*





8 God is king over the nations;

God sits on his holy throne.

9 The princes of the peoples gather

as the people of the God of Abraham.

For the shields of the earth belong to God;

he is highly exalted.

 
Psalm 48


The Glory and Strength of ZionA Song. A Psalm of the Korahites.

1 Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised

in the city of our God.

His holy mountain, 2beautiful in elevation,

is the joy of all the earth,

Mount Zion, in the far north,

the city of the great King.

3 Within its citadels God

has shown himself a sure defence.





4 Then the kings assembled,

they came on together.

5 As soon as they saw it, they were astounded;

they were in panic, they took to flight;

6 trembling took hold of them there,

pains as of a woman in labour,

7 as when an east wind shatters

the ships of Tarshish.

8 As we have heard, so have we seen

in the city of the Lord of hosts,

in the city of our God,

which God establishes for ever.

Selah





9 We ponder your steadfast love, O God,

in the midst of your temple.

10 Your name, O God, like your praise,

reaches to the ends of the earth.

Your right hand is filled with victory.

11 Let Mount Zion be glad,

let the towns* of Judah rejoice

because of your judgements.





12 Walk about Zion, go all around it,

count its towers,

13 consider well its ramparts;

go through its citadels,

that you may tell the next generation

14 that this is God,

our God for ever and ever.

He will be our guide for ever.

 
Mark 6:1-13


The Rejection of Jesus at Nazareth6He left that place and came to his home town, and his disciples followed him. 2On the sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astounded. They said, ‘Where did this man get all this? What is this wisdom that has been given to him? What deeds of power are being done by his hands! 3Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary* and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?’ And they took offence* at him. 4Then Jesus said to them, ‘Prophets are not without honour, except in their home town, and among their own kin, and in their own house.’ 5And he could do no deed of power there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and cured them. 6And he was amazed at their unbelief.





The Mission of the TwelveThen he went about among the villages teaching. 7He called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. 8He ordered them to take nothing for their journey except a staff; no bread, no bag, no money in their belts; 9but to wear sandals and not to put on two tunics. 10He said to them, ‘Wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave the place. 11If any place will not welcome you and they refuse to hear you, as you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.’ 12So they went out and proclaimed that all should repent. 13They cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them.

 
 
Eucharistic Office:
 
Hebrews 10:1-10


Christ’s Sacrifice Once for All10Since the law has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the true form of these realities, it* can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered year after year, make perfect those who approach. 2Otherwise, would they not have ceased being offered, since the worshippers, cleansed once for all, would no longer have any consciousness of sin? 3But in these sacrifices there is a reminder of sin year after year. 4For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. 5Consequently, when Christ* came into the world, he said,

‘Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,

but a body you have prepared for me;

6 in burnt-offerings and sin-offerings

you have taken no pleasure.

7 Then I said, “See, God, I have come to do your will, O God”

(in the scroll of the book* it is written of me).’

8When he said above, ‘You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt-offerings and sin-offerings’ (these are offered according to the law), 9then he added, ‘See, I have come to do your will.’ He abolishes the first in order to establish the second. 10And it is by God’s will* that we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

 
Psalm 40


Thanksgiving for Deliverance and Prayer for HelpTo the leader. Of David. A Psalm.

1 I waited patiently for the Lord;

he inclined to me and heard my cry.

 
Mark 3:31-35


The True Kindred of Jesus31 Then his mother and his brothers came; and standing outside, they sent to him and called him. 32A crowd was sitting around him; and they said to him, ‘Your mother and your brothers and sisters* are outside, asking for you.’ 33And he replied, ‘Who are my mother and my brothers?’ 34And looking at those who sat around him, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers! 35Whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother.’

**************************************************************

Today's Meditation


TUESDAY, January 25 The Conversion of Saint Paul

Matthew 10:16-22. Do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.



A friend found a table blessing that he wanted to use when guests came to dinner, but he wasn’t sure he could remember it. His wife typed it out and placed it under the glass plate.



We think of putting on the “whole armor of God” as we face each day but perhaps having the Holy Spirit with us is also having a glass plate to read through. You begin each day believing that you know most of the answers and you will get through it safely. But what a great comfort to know that when you are stuck, all you must do is drop your head in prayer. The Holy Sprit will tell you, not in typewritten lines slightly magnified by the glass plate, but with a voice and in words of scripture, what to say and do.



God provides us with his guidance. May we never hesitate or be embarrassed to squint a little just to make sure we have the right words. (1973)



PRAY for the ordering of our life together, that in all things we may show the glory of God.



Ps 67; Acts 26:9-21; Galatians 1:11-24



No comments:

Post a Comment