Monday, February 28, 2011

Episcopalian Daily Prayers And Readings For Monday, 28 February

From satcket.com, oremus.org and forewardmovement.org:

Daily Prayers and Readings:


Saints/Martyrs/Heroes/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated:

Anna Julia Hayward CooperANNA JULIA HAYWOOD COOPER and


ELIZABETH EVELYN WRIGHT

EDUCATORS

(1964, 1906)



Anna Julia Haywood Cooper (August 10, c1859- February 27, 1964). Educator, advocate and scholar. Born in Raleigh, North Carolina to an enslaved woman and a white man, presumably her mother's master, Anna Julia was an academically gifted child and received a scholarship to attend St. Augustine Normal School and Collegiate Institute, a school founded by the Episcopal Church to educate African-American teachers and clergy. There she began her membership in the Episcopal Church. After forcing her way into a Greek class designed for male theology students, Anna Julia later married the instructor, George A.C. Cooper, the second African-American ordained to the Episcopal priesthood in North Carolina. After her husband's death in 1879, Cooper received degrees in mathematics from Oberlin College, and was made principal of the only African American high school in Washington D.C.. She was denied reappointment in 1906 because she refused to lower her educational standards. Throughout her career, Cooper emphasized the importance of education to the future of African Americans, and was critical of the lack of support they received from the church. An advocate for African-American women, Cooper assisted in organizing the Colored Women's League and the first Colored Settlement House in Washington, D.C. She wrote and spoke widely on issues of race and gender, and took an active role in national and international organizations founded to advance African Americans. At the age of fifty-five she adopted the five children of her nephew. In 1925, Cooper became the fourth African-American woman to complete a Ph.D degree, granted from the Sorbonne when she was sixty-five years old. From 1930-1942, Cooper served as president of Frelinghuysen University.



from the Episcopal Women's History Project
There is also an extensive article in Wikipedia. Note that the spelling of "Haywood" is not consistent.

Elizabeth Evelyn Wright (April 3, 1872 - December 14, 1906) founded Denmark Industrial Institute in Denmark, South Carolina, as a school for African-American youth. It is present-day Voorhees College, a historically black college. She was a humanitarian and educator, founding several schools for black children.
In 1888, she matriculated at Booker T. Washington's Tuskegee Institute as a night student. After two years, Wright moved to Hampton County, South Carolina to assist in a rural school for black children. After the school was burned, she returned to Tuskegee and graduated.
In 1897, she moved to Denmark in rural Bamberg County, South Carolina. There she started a school over a store with the support of some influential people in the community. She raised money for what she called Denmark Industrial School, modeled after Tuskegee Institute. Ralph Voorhees and his wife, philanthropists from Clinton, New Jersey, donated $5,000 for the purchase of land and construction of the school's first building. In 1902 Voorhees Industrial School opened for male and female students at the elementary and high school levels, and Wright was principal. Voorhees provided additional gifts during the next few years, and the General Assembly incorporated the school in his name.
The school was later affiliated with the Protestant Episcopal Church and eventually became a fully accredited four-year college.
— from Wikipedia
More information may be found in an article from the Times & Democrat of Orangeburg, SC.


Commemmorative Readings:

Psalm 78


God’s Goodness and Israel’s IngratitudeA Maskil of Asaph.

1 Give ear, O my people, to my teaching;

incline your ears to the words of my mouth.

2 I will open my mouth in a parable;

I will utter dark sayings from of old,

3 things that we have heard and known,

that our ancestors have told us.

4 We will not hide them from their children;

we will tell to the coming generation

the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might,

and the wonders that he has done.





5 He established a decree in Jacob,

and appointed a law in Israel,

which he commanded our ancestors

to teach to their children;

6 that the next generation might know them,

the children yet unborn,

and rise up and tell them to their children,

7 so that they should set their hope in God,

and not forget the works of God,

but keep his commandments;

 
Proverbs 9:1-6


Wisdom’s Feast9Wisdom has built her house,

she has hewn her seven pillars.

2 She has slaughtered her animals, she has mixed her wine,

she has also set her table.

3 She has sent out her servant-girls, she calls

from the highest places in the town,

4 ‘You that are simple, turn in here!’

To those without sense she says,

5 ‘Come, eat of my bread

and drink of the wine I have mixed.

6 Lay aside immaturity,* and live,

and walk in the way of insight.’

 
1 Timothy 4:6-16


A Good Minister of Jesus Christ6 If you put these instructions before the brothers and sisters,* you will be a good servant* of Christ Jesus, nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound teaching that you have followed. 7Have nothing to do with profane myths and old wives’ tales. Train yourself in godliness, 8for, while physical training is of some value, godliness is valuable in every way, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. 9The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance. 10For to this end we toil and struggle,* because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Saviour of all people, especially of those who believe.

11 These are the things you must insist on and teach. 12Let no one despise your youth, but set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. 13Until I arrive, give attention to the public reading of scripture,* to exhorting, to teaching. 14Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you through prophecy with the laying on of hands by the council of elders.* 15Put these things into practice, devote yourself to them, so that all may see your progress. 16Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; continue in these things, for in doing this you will save both yourself and your hearers.



Luke 4:14-21


The Beginning of the Galilean Ministry14 Then Jesus, filled with the power of the Spirit, returned to Galilee, and a report about him spread through all the surrounding country. 15He began to teach in their synagogues and was praised by everyone.

The Rejection of Jesus at Nazareth16 When he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, he went to the synagogue on the sabbath day, as was his custom. He stood up to read, 17and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written:

18 ‘The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,

because he has anointed me

to bring good news to the poor.

He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives

and recovery of sight to the blind,

to let the oppressed go free,

19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.’

20And he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. 21Then he began to say to them, ‘Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.’

 
Preface of a Saint (3)








PRAYER (traditional language)

Eternal God, who didst inspire Anna Julia Haywood Cooper and Elizabeth Evelyn Wright with the love of learning and the joy of teaching: Help us also to gather and use the resources of our communities for the education of all thy children; through Jesus Christ our Savior, who livest and reignest with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.





PRAYER (contemporary language)

Eternal God, you inspired Anna Julia Haywood Cooper and Elizabeth Evelyn Wright with the love of learning and the joy of teaching: Help us also to gather and use the resources of our communities for the education of all your children; through Jesus Christ our Savior, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.





Return to Lectionary Home Page



Webmaster: Charles Wohlers



Last updated: 15 January 2011





The Commemoration of Anna Cooper was provisionally approved by General Convention, June 2006; that of Elizabeth Wright by General Convention in 2009





Scriptural Readings:

Morning Office:

Psalm 1


The Two Ways

1 Happy are those

who do not follow the advice of the wicked,

or take the path that sinners tread,

or sit in the seat of scoffers;

2 but their delight is in the law of the Lord,

and on his law they meditate day and night.

3 They are like trees

planted by streams of water,

which yield their fruit in its season,

and their leaves do not wither.

In all that they do, they prosper.





4 The wicked are not so,

but are like chaff that the wind drives away.

5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgement,

nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;

6 for the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,

but the way of the wicked will perish.

 
Psalm 2


God’s Promise to His Anointed

1 Why do the nations conspire,

and the peoples plot in vain?

2 The kings of the earth set themselves,

and the rulers take counsel together,

against the Lord and his anointed, saying,

3 ‘Let us burst their bonds asunder,

and cast their cords from us.’





4 He who sits in the heavens laughs;

the Lord has them in derision.

5 Then he will speak to them in his wrath,

and terrify them in his fury, saying,

6 ‘I have set my king on Zion, my holy hill.’





7 I will tell of the decree of the Lord:

He said to me, ‘You are my son;

today I have begotten you.

8 Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage,

and the ends of the earth your possession.

9 You shall break them with a rod of iron,

and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.’





10 Now therefore, O kings, be wise;

be warned, O rulers of the earth.

11 Serve the Lord with fear,

with trembling 12kiss his feet,*

or he will be angry, and you will perish in the way;

for his wrath is quickly kindled.





Happy are all who take refuge in him.

 
Psalm 3


Trust in God under AdversityA Psalm of David, when he fled from his son Absalom.

1 O Lord, how many are my foes!

Many are rising against me;

2 many are saying to me,

‘There is no help for you* in God.’

Selah





3 But you, O Lord, are a shield around me,

my glory, and the one who lifts up my head.

4 I cry aloud to the Lord,

and he answers me from his holy hill.

Selah





5 I lie down and sleep;

I wake again, for the Lord sustains me.

6 I am not afraid of tens of thousands of people

who have set themselves against me all around.





7 Rise up, O Lord!

Deliver me, O my God!

For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;

you break the teeth of the wicked.





8 Deliverance belongs to the Lord;

may your blessing be on your people!

Selah

 
Deuteronomy 4:9-14


9 But take care and watch yourselves closely, so as neither to forget the things that your eyes have seen nor to let them slip from your mind all the days of your life; make them known to your children and your children’s children— 10how you once stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, when the Lord said to me, ‘Assemble the people for me, and I will let them hear my words, so that they may learn to fear me as long as they live on the earth, and may teach their children to do so’; 11you approached and stood at the foot of the mountain while the mountain was blazing up to the very heavens, shrouded in dark clouds. 12Then the Lord spoke to you out of the fire. You heard the sound of words but saw no form; there was only a voice. 13He declared to you his covenant, which he charged you to observe, that is, the ten commandments;* and he wrote them on two stone tablets. 14And the Lord charged me at that time to teach you statutes and ordinances for you to observe in the land that you are about to cross into and occupy.

 
 
Evening Office:
 
Psalm 4


Confident Plea for Deliverance from EnemiesTo the leader: with stringed instruments. A Psalm of David.

1 Answer me when I call, O God of my right!

You gave me room when I was in distress.

Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.





2 How long, you people, shall my honour suffer shame?

How long will you love vain words, and seek after lies?

Selah

3 But know that the Lord has set apart the faithful for himself;

the Lord hears when I call to him.





4 When you are disturbed,* do not sin;

ponder it on your beds, and be silent.

Selah

5 Offer right sacrifices,

and put your trust in the Lord.





6 There are many who say, ‘O that we might see some good!

Let the light of your face shine on us, O Lord!’

7 You have put gladness in my heart

more than when their grain and wine abound.





8 I will both lie down and sleep in peace;

for you alone, O Lord, make me lie down in safety.

 
Psalm 7


Plea for Help against PersecutorsA Shiggaion of David, which he sang to the Lord concerning Cush, a Benjaminite.

1 O Lord my God, in you I take refuge;

save me from all my pursuers, and deliver me,

2 or like a lion they will tear me apart;

they will drag me away, with no one to rescue.





3 O Lord my God, if I have done this,

if there is wrong in my hands,

4 if I have repaid my ally with harm

or plundered my foe without cause,

5 then let the enemy pursue and overtake me,

trample my life to the ground,

and lay my soul in the dust.

Selah





6 Rise up, O Lord, in your anger;

lift yourself up against the fury of my enemies;

awake, O my God;* you have appointed a judgement.

7 Let the assembly of the peoples be gathered around you,

and over it take your seat* on high.

8 The Lord judges the peoples;

judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness

and according to the integrity that is in me.





9 O let the evil of the wicked come to an end,

but establish the righteous,

you who test the minds and hearts,

O righteous God.

10 God is my shield,

who saves the upright in heart.

11 God is a righteous judge,

and a God who has indignation every day.





12 If one does not repent, God* will whet his sword;

he has bent and strung his bow;

13 he has prepared his deadly weapons,

making his arrows fiery shafts.

14 See how they conceive evil,

and are pregnant with mischief,

and bring forth lies.

15 They make a pit, digging it out,

and fall into the hole that they have made.

16 Their mischief returns upon their own heads,

and on their own heads their violence descends.





17 I will give to the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness,

and sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High.

 
2 Corinthians 10:1-18


Paul Defends His Ministry10I myself, Paul, appeal to you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ—I who am humble when face to face with you, but bold towards you when I am away!— 2I ask that when I am present I need not show boldness by daring to oppose those who think we are acting according to human standards.* 3Indeed, we live as human beings,* but we do not wage war according to human standards;* 4for the weapons of our warfare are not merely human,* but they have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments 5and every proud obstacle raised up against the knowledge of God, and we take every thought captive to obey Christ. 6We are ready to punish every disobedience when your obedience is complete.

7 Look at what is before your eyes. If you are confident that you belong to Christ, remind yourself of this, that just as you belong to Christ, so also do we. 8Now, even if I boast a little too much of our authority, which the Lord gave for building you up and not for tearing you down, I will not be ashamed of it. 9I do not want to seem as though I am trying to frighten you with my letters. 10For they say, ‘His letters are weighty and strong, but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible.’ 11Let such people understand that what we say by letter when absent, we will also do when present.

12 We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who commend themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another, and compare themselves with one another, they do not show good sense. 13We, however, will not boast beyond limits, but will keep within the field that God has assigned to us, to reach out even as far as you. 14For we were not overstepping our limits when we reached you; we were the first to come all the way to you with the good news* of Christ. 15We do not boast beyond limits, that is, in the labours of others; but our hope is that, as your faith increases, our sphere of action among you may be greatly enlarged, 16so that we may proclaim the good news* in lands beyond you, without boasting of work already done in someone else’s sphere of action. 17‘Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.’ 18For it is not those who commend themselves that are approved, but those whom the Lord commends.

 
Matthew 6:7-15


7 ‘When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9 ‘Pray then in this way:

Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name.

10 Your kingdom come.

Your will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.*

12 And forgive us our debts,

as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13 And do not bring us to the time of trial,*

but rescue us from the evil one.*

14For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; 15but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

 
 
Eucharistic Office:
 
Sirach 17:24-29


24 Yet to those who repent he grants a return,

and he encourages those who are losing hope.





A Call to Repentance

25 Turn back to the Lord and forsake your sins;

pray in his presence and lessen your offence.

26 Return to the Most High and turn away from iniquity,*

and hate intensely what he abhors.

27 Who will sing praises to the Most High in Hades

in place of the living who give thanks?

28 From the dead, as from one who does not exist, thanksgiving has ceased;

those who are alive and well sing the Lord’s praises.

29 How great is the mercy of the Lord,

and his forgiveness for those who return to him!

 
Psalm 32


The Joy of ForgivenessOf David. A Maskil.

1 Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven,

whose sin is covered.

2 Happy are those to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity,

and in whose spirit there is no deceit.





3 While I kept silence, my body wasted away

through my groaning all day long.

4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;

my strength was dried up* as by the heat of summer.

Selah





5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you,

and I did not hide my iniquity;

I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord’,

and you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Selah





6 Therefore let all who are faithful

offer prayer to you;

at a time of distress,* the rush of mighty waters

shall not reach them.

7 You are a hiding-place for me;

you preserve me from trouble;

you surround me with glad cries of deliverance.

Selah





8 I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go;

I will counsel you with my eye upon you.

 
Mark 10:17-27


The Rich Man17 As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, ‘Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ 18Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. 19You know the commandments: “You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; You shall not defraud; Honour your father and mother.” ’ 20He said to him, ‘Teacher, I have kept all these since my youth.’ 21Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, ‘You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money* to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ 22When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.

23 Then Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, ‘How hard it will be for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!’ 24And the disciples were perplexed at these words. But Jesus said to them again, ‘Children, how hard it is* to enter the kingdom of God! 25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.’ 26They were greatly astounded and said to one another,* ‘Then who can be saved?’ 27Jesus looked at them and said, ‘For mortals it is impossible, but not for God; for God all things are possible.’

**************************************************************
 
Foreward Movement
 
Today's Meditation


MONDAY, February 28

Matthew 6:7-15. Pray then in this way: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.



The Lord’s Prayer has been used throughout the ages and is used throughout the world. When the bishops of the Anglican Communion came together, it was moving to hear people pray the Lord’s Prayer in many different languages. It is the prayer we may have learned first as children. My older sister died with the words of the Lord’s Prayer on her lips.



We need to take time with each word, each phrase of the prayer Jesus taught us, so that its profound meaning becomes clearer.



The first word “Our” speaks of a community which prays. We are never entirely alone when we pray the Lord’s Prayer. “Father” speaks of intimacy—our God is close to us. The word “Father” reflects Jesus’ own loving relationship to God. “Heaven” is not a faraway place. It is where God is. It is God’s home. We know heaven when God’s life touches ours.



Joeli Bulu, a Tongan, was an early missionary in Fiji. One of his recorded sayings is, “I will lotu (pray) that I may live among the stars.” Joeli was praying that he would know the life of heaven. May we know the life of heaven and honor God’s name.



PRAY for the Diocese of Matabeleland (Central Africa)



Ps 1, 2, 3 * 4, 7; Deuteronomy 4:9-14; 2 Corinthians 10:1-18



No comments:

Post a Comment