Friday, March 18, 2011

Episcopalian Church Daily And Commemmorative Readings For Friday, 18 March

From satucket.com, oremus.org and wapedia.com:

Daily Readings:


Saints/Martyrs/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated:  Lent, St. Cyril of Jerusalem

CYRIL OF JERUSALEM


BISHOP AND THEOLOGIAN (18 MAR 386)



Cyril of Jerusalem, from "Pictorial Lives of the Saints"Cyril was born in Jerusalem around 315, and became bishop of that city in about 349. The years between the Council of Nicea (325) and the Council of Constantinople (381) were troubled years, in which the Church, having committed itself at Nicea, over the strenuous protests of the Arians, to the proposition that the Son is "one in being" (homo-ousios) with the Father, began to backtrack and consider whether there was some other formula that would adequately express the Lordship of Christ but not be "divisive." Experience with other ways of stating what Christians believed about the Son and his relation to the Father finally led the Church to conclude that the Nicene formulation was the only way of safeguarding the doctrine that Thomas spoke truly (John 20:28) when he said to Jesus, "My Lord and My God!" But this was not obvious from the beginning, and Cyril was among those who looked for a way of expressing the doctrine that would be acceptable to all parties. As a result, he was exiled from his bishopric three times, for a total of sixteen years, once by the Athanasians and twice by the Arians. He eventually came to the conclusion, as did most other Christians of the time, that there was no alternative to the Nicene formula, and in 381 he attended the Council of Constantinople and voted for that position.



Cyril is author of the Catecheses, or Catechatical Lectures on the Christian Faith. These consist of an introductory lecture, then eighteen lectures on the Christian Faith to be delivered during Lent to those about to be baptized at Easter, and then five lectures on the Sacraments to be delivered after Easter to the newly baptized. These have been translated into English (F L Cross, 1951), and are the oldest such lectures surviving. (It is thought that they were used over and over by Cyril and his successors, and that they may have undergone some revision in the process.)



Every year, thousands of Christian pilgrims came to Jerusalem, especially for Holy Week. It is probably Cyril who instituted the liturgical forms for that week as they were observed in Jerusalem at the pilgrimage sites, were spread to other churches by returning pilgrims, and have come down to us today, with the procession with palms on Palm Sunday, and the services for the following days, culminating in the celebration of the Resurrection on Easter Sunday. We have a detailed account of Holy Week observances in Jerusalem in the fourth century, thanks to a a Spanish nun named Egeria who made a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and kept a journal which is a historian's delight.



by James Kiefer



Note: Clicking on the first link above will take you to Amazon.com where you may buy the book if you wish.

Commemmorative Readings:


Psalm 122


Song of Praise and Prayer for JerusalemA Song of Ascents. Of David.

1 I was glad when they said to me,

‘Let us go to the house of the Lord!’

2 Our feet are standing

within your gates, O Jerusalem.





3 Jerusalem—built as a city

that is bound firmly together.

4 To it the tribes go up,

the tribes of the Lord,

as was decreed for Israel,

to give thanks to the name of the Lord.

5 For there the thrones for judgement were set up,

the thrones of the house of David.





6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:

‘May they prosper who love you.

7 Peace be within your walls,

and security within your towers.’

8 For the sake of my relatives and friends

I will say, ‘Peace be within you.’

9 For the sake of the house of the Lord our God,

I will seek your good.

 
Sirach 47:8-10


8 In all that he did he gave thanks

to the Holy One, the Most High, proclaiming his glory;

he sang praise with all his heart,

and he loved his Maker.

9 He placed singers before the altar,

to make sweet melody with their voices.*

10 He gave beauty to the festivals,

and arranged their times throughout the year,*

while they praised God’s* holy name,

and the sanctuary resounded from early morning.

 
Hebrews 13:14-2114For here we have no lasting city, but we are looking for the city that is to come. 15Through him, then, let us continually offer a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that confess his name. 16Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.


17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls and will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with sighing—for that would be harmful to you.

18 Pray for us; we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honourably in all things. 19I urge you all the more to do this, so that I may be restored to you very soon.

Benediction20 Now may the God of peace, who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, 21make you complete in everything good so that you may do his will, working among us* that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory for ever and ever. Amen.



Luke 24:44-48


44 Then he said to them, ‘These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you—that everything written about me in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms must be fulfilled.’ 45Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures, 46and he said to them, ‘Thus it is written, that the Messiah* is to suffer and to rise from the dead on the third day, 47and that repentance and forgiveness of sins is to be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. 48You are witnesses* of these things.

 
 
Preface of the Dedication of a Church






PRAYER (traditional language)

Strengthen, O Lord, we beseech thee, the bishops of thy Church in their special calling to be teachers and ministers of the Sacraments, that they, like thy servant Cyril of Jerusalem, may effectively instruct thy people in Christian faith and practice; and that we, taught by them, may enter more fully into celebration of the Paschal mystery; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.



PRAYER (contemporary language)

Strengthen, O Lord, the bishops of your Church in their special calling to be teachers and ministers of the Sacraments, so that they, like your servant Cyril of Jerusalem, may effectively instruct your people in Christian faith and practice; and that we, taught by them, may enter more fully into celebration of the Paschal mystery; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.





Lessons revised at GC 2009.



Return to Lectionary Home Page



Webmaster: Charles Wohlers



Last updated: 30 Jan. 2010





Scriptural Readings:


Mornign Office:

Psalm 95


A Call to Worship and Obedience



1 O come, let us sing to the Lord;

let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!

2 Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving;

let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!

3 For the Lord is a great God,

and a great King above all gods.

4 In his hand are the depths of the earth;

the heights of the mountains are his also.

5 The sea is his, for he made it,

and the dry land, which his hands have formed.





6 O come, let us worship and bow down,

let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker!

7 For he is our God,

and we are the people of his pasture,

and the sheep of his hand.





O that today you would listen to his voice!

8 Do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah,

as on the day at Massah in the wilderness,

9 when your ancestors tested me,

and put me to the proof, though they had seen my work.

10 For forty years I loathed that generation

and said, ‘They are a people whose hearts go astray,

and they do not regard my ways.’

11 Therefore in my anger I swore,

‘They shall not enter my rest.’

 
Psalm 40


Thanksgiving for Deliverance and Prayer for Help

To the leader. Of David. A Psalm.

1 I waited patiently for the Lord;

he inclined to me and heard my cry.

2 He drew me up from the desolate pit,*

out of the miry bog,

and set my feet upon a rock,

making my steps secure.

3 He put a new song in my mouth,

a song of praise to our God.

Many will see and fear,

and put their trust in the Lord.





4 Happy are those who make

the Lord their trust,

who do not turn to the proud,

to those who go astray after false gods.

5 You have multiplied, O Lord my God,

your wondrous deeds and your thoughts towards us;

none can compare with you.

Were I to proclaim and tell of them,

they would be more than can be counted.





6 Sacrifice and offering you do not desire,

but you have given me an open ear.*

Burnt-offering and sin-offering

you have not required.

7 Then I said, ‘Here I am;

in the scroll of the book it is written of me.*

8 I delight to do your will, O my God;

your law is within my heart.’





9 I have told the glad news of deliverance

in the great congregation;

see, I have not restrained my lips,

as you know, O Lord.

10 I have not hidden your saving help within my heart,

I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation;

I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness

from the great congregation.





11 Do not, O Lord, withhold

your mercy from me;

let your steadfast love and your faithfulness

keep me safe for ever.

12 For evils have encompassed me

without number;

my iniquities have overtaken me,

until I cannot see;

they are more than the hairs of my head,

and my heart fails me.





13 Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;

O Lord, make haste to help me.

14 Let all those be put to shame and confusion

who seek to snatch away my life;

let those be turned back and brought to dishonour

who desire my hurt.

15 Let those be appalled because of their shame

who say to me, ‘Aha, Aha!’





16 But may all who seek you

rejoice and be glad in you;

may those who love your salvation

say continually, ‘Great is the Lord!’

17 As for me, I am poor and needy,

but the Lord takes thought for me.

You are my help and my deliverer;

do not delay, O my God.

 
Psalm 54


Prayer for Vindication

To the leader: with stringed instruments. A Maskil of David, when the Ziphites went and told Saul, ‘David is in hiding among us.’

1 Save me, O God, by your name,

and vindicate me by your might.

2 Hear my prayer, O God;

give ear to the words of my mouth.





3 For the insolent have risen against me,

the ruthless seek my life;

they do not set God before them.

Selah





4 But surely, God is my helper;

the Lord is the upholder of* my life.

5 He will repay my enemies for their evil.

In your faithfulness, put an end to them.





6 With a freewill-offering I will sacrifice to you;

I will give thanks to your name, O Lord, for it is good.

7 For he has delivered me from every trouble,

and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.

 
Deuteronomy 10:12-22


The Essence of the Law12 So now, O Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you? Only to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, 13and to keep the commandments of the Lord your God* and his decrees that I am commanding you today, for your own well-being. 14Although heaven and the heaven of heavens belong to the Lord your God, the earth with all that is in it, 15yet the Lord set his heart in love on your ancestors alone and chose you, their descendants after them, out of all the peoples, as it is today. 16Circumcise, then, the foreskin of your heart, and do not be stubborn any longer. 17For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who is not partial and takes no bribe, 18who executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and who loves the strangers, providing them with food and clothing. 19You shall also love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt. 20You shall fear the Lord your God; him alone you shall worship; to him you shall hold fast, and by his name you shall swear. 21He is your praise; he is your God, who has done for you these great and awesome things that your own eyes have seen. 22Your ancestors went down to Egypt seventy persons; and now the Lord your God has made you as numerous as the stars in heaven.

 
Hebrews 4:11-1611Let us therefore make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one may fall through such disobedience as theirs.


12 Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13And before him no creature is hidden, but all are naked and laid bare to the eyes of the one to whom we must render an account.





Jesus the Great High Priest14 Since, then, we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. 15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested* as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

 
 
Evening Office:
 
Psalm 51


Prayer for Cleansing and PardonTo the leader. A Psalm of David, when the prophet Nathan came to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.

1 Have mercy on me, O God,

according to your steadfast love;

according to your abundant mercy

blot out my transgressions.

2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,

and cleanse me from my sin.





3 For I know my transgressions,

and my sin is ever before me.

4 Against you, you alone, have I sinned,

and done what is evil in your sight,

so that you are justified in your sentence

and blameless when you pass judgement.

5 Indeed, I was born guilty,

a sinner when my mother conceived me.





6 You desire truth in the inward being;*

therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;

wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

8 Let me hear joy and gladness;

let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.

9 Hide your face from my sins,

and blot out all my iniquities.





10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,

and put a new and right* spirit within me.

11 Do not cast me away from your presence,

and do not take your holy spirit from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,

and sustain in me a willing* spirit.





13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,

and sinners will return to you.

14 Deliver me from bloodshed, O God,

O God of my salvation,

and my tongue will sing aloud of your deliverance.





15 O Lord, open my lips,

and my mouth will declare your praise.

16 For you have no delight in sacrifice;

if I were to give a burnt-offering, you would not be pleased.

17 The sacrifice acceptable to God* is a broken spirit;

a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.





18 Do good to Zion in your good pleasure;

rebuild the walls of Jerusalem,

19 then you will delight in right sacrifices,

in burnt-offerings and whole burnt-offerings;

then bulls will be offered on your altar.

 
John 3:22-36


Jesus and John the Baptist22 After this Jesus and his disciples went into the Judean countryside, and he spent some time there with them and baptized. 23John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim because water was abundant there; and people kept coming and were being baptized— 24John, of course, had not yet been thrown into prison.

25 Now a discussion about purification arose between John’s disciples and a Jew.* 26They came to John and said to him, ‘Rabbi, the one who was with you across the Jordan, to whom you testified, here he is baptizing, and all are going to him.’ 27John answered, ‘No one can receive anything except what has been given from heaven. 28You yourselves are my witnesses that I said, “I am not the Messiah,* but I have been sent ahead of him.” 29He who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice. For this reason my joy has been fulfilled. 30He must increase, but I must decrease.’*

The One Who Comes from Heaven31 The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is of the earth belongs to the earth and speaks about earthly things. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32He testifies to what he has seen and heard, yet no one accepts his testimony. 33Whoever has accepted his testimony has certified* this, that God is true. 34He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure. 35The Father loves the Son and has placed all things in his hands. 36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever disobeys the Son will not see life, but must endure God’s wrath.

 
 
Eucharistic Office:
 
Psalm 130


Waiting for Divine Redemption

A Song of Ascents.

1 Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord.

2 Lord, hear my voice!

Let your ears be attentive

to the voice of my supplications!





3 If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities,

Lord, who could stand?

4 But there is forgiveness with you,

so that you may be revered.





5 I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,

and in his word I hope;

6 my soul waits for the Lord

more than those who watch for the morning,

more than those who watch for the morning.





7 O Israel, hope in the Lord!

For with the Lord there is steadfast love,

and with him is great power to redeem.

8 It is he who will redeem Israel

from all its iniquities.

 
Ezekiel 18:21-28


21 But if the wicked turn away from all their sins that they have committed and keep all my statutes and do what is lawful and right, they shall surely live; they shall not die. 22None of the transgressions that they have committed shall be remembered against them; for the righteousness that they have done they shall live. 23Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, says the Lord God, and not rather that they should turn from their ways and live? 24But when the righteous turn away from their righteousness and commit iniquity and do the same abominable things that the wicked do, shall they live? None of the righteous deeds that they have done shall be remembered; for the treachery of which they are guilty and the sin they have committed, they shall die.

25 Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is unfair.’ Hear now, O house of Israel: Is my way unfair? Is it not your ways that are unfair? 26When the righteous turn away from their righteousness and commit iniquity, they shall die for it; for the iniquity that they have committed they shall die. 27Again, when the wicked turn away from the wickedness they have committed and do what is lawful and right, they shall save their life. 28Because they considered and turned away from all the transgressions that they had committed, they shall surely live; they shall not die.

 
Matthew 5:20-2620For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.


Concerning Anger21 ‘You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, “You shall not murder”; and “whoever murders shall be liable to judgement.” 22But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister,* you will be liable to judgement; and if you insult* a brother or sister,* you will be liable to the council; and if you say, “You fool”, you will be liable to the hell* of fire. 23So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister* has something against you, 24leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister,* and then come and offer your gift. 25Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are on the way to court* with him, or your accuser may hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. 26Truly I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.
**************************************************************

Forward Movement:
Today's Meditation


FRIDAY, March 18

John 3:22-36. Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever disobeys the Son will not see life, but must endure God’s wrath.



“But there is so much in the Bible, especially in the writings of Saint John, about God’s love,” we want to say. “In fact, the most famous verse about God’s love comes earlier in this very chapter—so how can John now suddenly be speaking of God’s wrath?”



Many deal with this apparent inconsistency by ignoring it. “God is a loving Father,” they rightly say, but what they really mean is that God is an infinitely indulgent figure willing to overlook anything, a kind of heavenly marshmallow. There’s nothing in the Bible to suggest that. A parent who truly loves his or her children must sometimes refuse to overlook, must hold the children accountable, must be firm. To do otherwise might give the children more pleasure but it would not build character, and God is more concerned about character than pleasure.



The wrath of God, God’s absolute hatred for all that does not lead to holiness, is the flip side of God’s love. We can’t have one without the other; it’s a package deal.



Accept God’s offer of character-building love or don’t, but if you do, expect a glorious but sometimes daunting ride.



PRAY for the Diocese of Missouri (Province V, USA)



Ps 95 & 40, 54 * 51; Deuteronomy 10:12-22; Hebrews 4:11-16




No comments:

Post a Comment