Monday, March 28, 2011

Greek Orthodox Church Daily Readings For Sunday, 27 March

From goarch.com:

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +




Daily Scripture Readings and Lives of the Saints for Sunday, March 27, 2011



Fast Day (Wine and Oil Allowed)



Readings for today:



John 21:14-25

St. Paul's Letter to the Hebrews 4:14-16; 5:1-6

Mark 8:34-38; 9:1



Feasts and Saints celebrated today:



Sunday of the Holy Cross

Matrona of Thessaloniki

Paul, Bishop of Corinth





Orthros Gospel Reading



The reading is from John 21:14-25



At that time, Jesus revealed himself to his disciples after he was

raised from the dead, and he said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John,

do you love me more than these?" He said to him "Yes, Lord; you

know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." A second

time he said to him, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to

him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my

sheep." He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love

me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you

love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know

that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep. Truly, truly, I

say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where

you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and

another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go." (This

he said to show by what death he was to glorify God.) And after

this he said to him, "Follow me."



Peter turned and saw following them the disciple whom Jesus loved, who

had lain close to his breast at the supper and had said, "Lord, who

is it that is going to betray you?" When Peter saw him, he said to

Jesus, "Lord, what about this man?" Jesus said to him, "If it is my

will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? Follow me!"

So, the word went out among the brethren that this disciple would not

die; but Jesus did not say to him that he would not die. He said, "If

it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?"

This is the disciple who is bearing witness to these things, and who

has written these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one

of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not

contain the books that would be written. Amen.



(C) 2011 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America



Epistle Reading



The reading is from St. Paul's Letter to the Hebrews 4:14-16; 5:1-6



BRETHREN, since we have a high priest who has passed through the heavens,

Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we have not

a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but

one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we

may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. For every

high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men

in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He can

deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is beset

with weakness. Because of this he is bound to offer sacrifice for his

own sins as well as for those of the people. And one does not take

the honor upon himself, but he is called by God, just as Aaron was.

So also Christ did not exalt himself to be made a high priest, but

was appointed by him who said to him, "Thou art my Son, today I

have begotten thee"; as he says also in another place, "Thou

art a priest for ever, after the order of Melchizedek."



(C) 2011 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America



Gospel Reading



The reading is from Mark 8:34-38; 9:1



The Lord said: "If anyone wishes to come after me, let him deny

himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his

life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake and the

gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man, to gain the whole

world and forfeit his life? For what can a man give in return for his

life? For whoever is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and

sinful generation, of him will the Son of man also be ashamed, when he

comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." And he said to

them, "Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not

taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power."



(C) 2011 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America





Sunday of the Holy Cross



Reading from the Synaxarion:



With the help of God, we have almost reached the middle of the course

of the Fast, where our strength has been worn down through

abstinence, and the full difficulty of the labour set before us becomes

apparent. Therefore our holy Mother, the Church of Christ, now brings to

our help the all-holy Cross, the joy of the world, the strength of

the faithful, the staff of the just, and the hope of sinners, so that

by venerating it reverently, we might receive strength and grace to

complete the divine struggle of the Fast.



Resurrectional Apolytikion in the Third Tone

Let the heavens sing for joy, and let everything on earth be glad. *

For with His Arm the Lord has worked power. * He trampled death under

foot by means of death; * and He became the firstborn from the dead. *

From the maw of Hades He delivered us; * and He granted the world His

great mercy.



Resurrectional Kontakion in the Third Tone

From the tomb You rose today, * O Lord of tender compassion, * also

from the gates of death * You led us out, O our Savior. * On this day

is Adam dancing and Eve rejoices, * and with them together

Patriarchs and the Prophets * are unceasingly extolling the divine power of

Your authority.



Seasonal Kontakion in the Plagal of the Fourth Tone

To you, Theotokos, invincible Defender, having been delivered from

peril, I, your city, dedicate the victory festival as a thank offering.

In your irresistible might, keep me safe from all trials, that I may

call out to you: "Hail, unwedded bride!"



Reading courtesy of Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA

Apolytikion courtesy of St. Gregory Palamas Monastery

Kontakion courtesy of St. Gregory Palamas Monastery

Kontakion courtesy of Narthex Press





Matrona of Thessaloniki



Reading from the Synaxarion:



This martyr was the servant of a certain Jewish woman named Pantilla,

the wife of the Governor of Thessalonica. When Matrona refused to

follow her mistress into the synagogue Pantilla beat her so severly that

she died in a few days, and thus received the crown of her

confession.



Apolytikion in the Fourth Tone

O Lord Jesus, unto Thee Thy lamb doth cry with a great voice: O my

Bridegroom, Thee I love; and seeking Thee, I now contest, and with Thy

baptism am crucified and buried. I suffer for Thy sake, that I may reign

with Thee; for Thy sake I die, that I may live in Thee: accept me

offered out of longing to Thee as a spotless sacrifice. Lord, save our

souls through her intercessions, since Thou art great in mercy.



Reading courtesy of Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA

Apolytikion courtesy of Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA



No comments:

Post a Comment