Monday, February 20, 2012

American Bible Society Daily Bible Reading and Daily Prayer for Sunday, 19 February 2012

From The American Bible Society:


John 10:1-21(Good News Translation)

Come Together in Faith and Proclaim God’s Love and Mercy

Introduction

John 10:1-21: Jesus uses the images of shepherd, gate, and sheep to describe his relationship between himself and his followers. The sheep know the shepherd’s voice and follow him. Unlike a thief who comes only to steal or destroy, and unlike a hired worker who fails to protect the sheep, Jesus as the good shepherd is willing to die for the sheep. Jesus’ words once again cause division among the people.

Today's Scripture: John 10:11

“I am the good shepherd, who is willing to die for the sheep.”

Today's Reading

1 Jesus said, “I am telling you the truth: the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2 The man who goes in through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 The gatekeeper opens the gate for him; the sheep hear his voice as he calls his own sheep by name, and he leads them out. 4 When he has brought them out, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him, because they know his voice. 5 They will not follow someone else; instead, they will run away from such a person, because they do not know his voice. ” 6 Jesus told them this parable, but they did not understand what he meant.7 So Jesus said again, “I am telling you the truth: I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All others who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the gate. Those who come in by me will be saved; they will come in and go out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only in order to steal, kill, and destroy. I have come in order that you might have life—life in all its fullness. 11 I am the good shepherd, who is willing to die for the sheep. 12 When the hired man, who is not a shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees a wolf coming, he leaves the sheep and runs away; so the wolf snatches the sheep and scatters them. 13 The hired man runs away because he is only a hired man and does not care about the sheep. 14-15 I am the good shepherd. As the Father knows me and I know the Father, in the same way I know my sheep and they know me. And I am willing to die for them. 16 There are other sheep which belong to me that are not in this sheep pen. I must bring them, too; they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock with one shepherd. 17 The Father loves me because I am willing to give up my life, in order that I may receive it back again. 18 No one takes my life away from me. I give it up of my own free will. I have the right to give it up, and I have the right to take it back. This is what my Father has commanded me to do. ” 19 Again there was a division among the people because of these words. 20 Many of them were saying, “He has a demon! He is crazy! Why do you listen to him?” 21 But others were saying, “A man with a demon could not talk like this! How could a demon give sight to blind people?”

Reflect

Jesus says “I am the gate” (verses 7, 9) and “I am the good shepherd (verses 11, 14). These statements are among those that are referred to as the “I am” passages in John’s Gospel. Two previous readings this month (February 13 and 16) had two other of the “I am” sayings: “I am the bread of life” (6:35) and “I am the light of the world” (8:12). In Exodus 3:13-15, God’s name (I AM) is revealed to Moses. In John’s Gospel, Jesus’ use of the term “I am” connects him to God. As stated in 8:58, Jesus said, “Before Abraham was born, ‘I Am’.” In today’s reading, what do the images of “gate” and shepherd” convey to you about Jesus?

Pray

Lord Jesus, you are the Good Shepherd, and you were willing to die for my sake. Lead me each day with your gentle and loving voice. Amen.

Prayer Concern

Those who tend flocks of sheep

No comments:

Post a Comment