Wednesday, February 22, 2012

American Bible Society Daily Bible Reading and Daily Prayer for Wdnesday, 22 February 2012

From The American Bible Society:


Psalm 51(Good News Translation)

Come Together in Faith and Proclaim God’s Love and Mercy

Introduction

Psalm 51: Today’s reading is a psalm asking for God’s forgiveness and is attributed to King David. After David had arranged to have Uriah killed in battle so that he could marry Bathsheba, who was pregnant with David’s child, the prophet Nathan confronted David with his sin.

Today's Scripture: Psalm 51:1

Be merciful to me, O God, because of your constant love. Because of your great mercy wipe away my sins!

Today's Reading

1 Be merciful to me, O God, because of your constant love. Because of your great mercy wipe away my sins! 2 Wash away all my evil and make me clean from my sin! 3 I recognize my faults; I am always conscious of my sins. 4 I have sinned against you—only against you— and done what you consider evil. So you are right in judging me; you are justified in condemning me. 5 I have been evil from the day I was born; from the time I was conceived, I have been sinful. 6 Sincerity and truth are what you require; fill my mind with your wisdom. 7 Remove my sin, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. 8 Let me hear the sounds of joy and gladness; and though you have crushed me and broken me, I will be happy once again. 9 Close your eyes to my sins and wipe out all my evil. 10 Create a pure heart in me, O God, and put a new and loyal spirit in me. 11 Do not banish me from your presence; do not take your holy spirit away from me. 12 Give me again the joy that comes from your salvation, and make me willing to obey you. 13 Then I will teach sinners your commands, and they will turn back to you. 14 Spare my life, O God, and save me, and I will gladly proclaim your righteousness. 15 Help me to speak, Lord, and I will praise you. 16 You do not want sacrifices, or I would offer them; you are not pleased with burnt offerings. 17 My sacrifice is a humble spirit, O God; you will not reject a humble and repentant heart. 18 O God, be kind to Zion and help her; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. 19 Then you will be pleased with proper sacrifices and with our burnt offerings; and bulls will be sacrificed on your altar.

Reflect

How would you describe the tone of David’s prayer? What does he confess? What does he ask of God? Can this prayer serve as a model of confession for you? What do you need to confess to God today?

Pray

Be merciful to me, O God, because of your constant love, and wipe away all my sins. Create a pure heart in me and put a new and loyal spirit in me. Keep me forever in your presence so that I may know the joy that comes only from you and your salvation. In your holy name I pray, Amen.Those in need of God’s forgiveness

Prayer Concern

Those in need of God’s forgiveness

No comments:

Post a Comment