Tuesday, February 28, 2012

American Bible Society Daily Bible Reading and Daily Prayer for Monday, 27 February 2012

From The American Bible Society:


John 15:18—16:15(Good News Translation)

Come Together in Faith and Proclaim God’s Love and Mercy

Introduction

John 15:18—16:15: Jesus warns his disciples that they will be hated and suffer persecution because they have chosen to believe in and follow him. Jesus says that he is returning to God the Father but that he will send the Holy Spirit who will lead them and reveal the truth about God.

Today's Scripture: John 16:15

“All that my Father has is mine; that is why I said that the Spirit will take what I give him and tell it to you.”

Today's Reading

18 If the world hates you, just remember that it has hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, then the world would love you as its own. But I chose you from this world, and you do not belong to it; that is why the world hates you. 20Remember what I told you: “Slaves are not greater than their master.” If people persecuted me, they will persecute you too; if they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours too. 21 But they will do all this to you because you are mine; for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 They would not have been guilty of sin if I had not come and spoken to them; as it is, they no longer have any excuse for their sin. 23Whoever hates me hates my Father also. 24 They would not have been guilty of sin if I had not done among them the things that no one else ever did; as it is, they have seen what I did, and they hate both me and my Father. 25 This, however, was bound to happen so that what is written in their Law may come true: “They hated me for no reason at all.” 26 The Helper will come—the Spirit, who reveals the truth about God and who comes from the Father. I will send him to you from the Father, and he will speak about me. 27 And you, too, will speak about me, because you have been with me from the very beginning. 1 I have told you this, so that you will not give up your faith. 2 You will be expelled from the synagogues, and the time will come when those who kill you will think that by doing this they are serving God. 3People will do these things to you because they have not known either the Father or me. 4 But I have told you this, so that when the time comes for them to do these things, you will remember what I told you. I did not tell you these things at the beginning, for I was with you. 5 But now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me where I am going. 6 And now that I have told you, your hearts are full of sadness. 7 But I am telling you the truth: it is better for you that I go away, because if I do not go, the Helper will not come to you. But if I do go away, then I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will prove to the people of the world that they are wrong about sin and about what is right and about God's judgment. 9 They are wrong about sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 they are wrong about what is right, because I am going to the Father and you will not see me any more; 11 and they are wrong about judgment, because the ruler of this world has already been judged. 12 I have much more to tell you, but now it would be too much for you to bear. 13 When, however, the Spirit comes, who reveals the truth about God, he will lead you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own authority, but he will speak of what he hears and will tell you of things to come. 14 He will give me glory, because he will take what I say and tell it to you. 15 All that my Father has is mine; that is why I said that the Spirit will take what I give him and tell it to you.

Reflect

What are your thoughts concerning Jesus’ words to his disciples? Are these words hard to hear? Why or why not? Does today’s reading contain any words of reassurance? What does today’s reading teach about the cost of discipleship? Are you aware of anyone who has been persecuted for his or her faith?

Pray

Dear Jesus, keep me close to you and strong in faith. You are my Lord and Savior, and I am your disciple. May I never stray from your teachings. Give me a spirit of boldness to proclaim the good news of your love and salvation. Amen.

Prayer Concern

Itinerant preachers

No comments:

Post a Comment