Friday, February 24, 2012

American Bible Society Daily Bible Reading and Daily Prayer for Thursday, 23 February 2012


John 13:1-20(Good News Translation)

Come Together in Faith and Proclaim God’s Love and Mercy

Introduction

John 13:1-20: In ancient Jewish society, it was the duty of the servant to wash the master’s feet. In today’s reading, Jesus takes on the role of servant and washes his disciples’ feet. The reading concludes with Jesus alluding to his betrayal and identifying himself with the Divine Name (“I Am”).

Today's Scripture: John 13:14

“I, your Lord and Teacher, have just washed your feet. You, then, should wash one another’s feet.”

Today's Reading

1 It was now the day before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. He had always loved those in the world who were his own, and he loved them to the very end. 2 Jesus and his disciples were at supper. The Devil had already put into the heart of Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, the thought of betraying Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had given him complete power; he knew that he had come from God and was going to God. 4 So he rose from the table, took off his outer garment, and tied a towel around his waist. 5 Then he poured some water into a washbasin and began to wash the disciples' feet and dry them with the towel around his waist. 6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Are you going to wash my feet, Lord?” 7 Jesus answered him, “You do not understand now what I am doing, but you will understand later.” 8 Peter declared, “Never at any time will you wash my feet!” “If I do not wash your feet,” Jesus answered, “you will no longer be my disciple.” 9Simon Peter answered, “Lord, do not wash only my feet, then! Wash my hands and head, too!” 10 Jesus said, “Those who have taken a bath are completely clean and do not have to wash themselves, except for their feet. All of you are clean—all except one. ” ( 11 Jesus already knew who was going to betray him; that is why he said, “All of you, except one, are clean.”) 12 After Jesus had washed their feet, he put his outer garment back on and returned to his place at the table. “Do you understand what I have just done to you?” he asked. 13 “You call me Teacher and Lord, and it is right that you do so, because that is what I am. 14 I, your Lord and Teacher, have just washed your feet. You, then, should wash one another's feet. 15I have set an example for you, so that you will do just what I have done for you. 16 I am telling you the truth: no slaves are greater than their master, and no messengers are greater than the one who sent them. 17 Now that you know this truth, how happy you will be if you put it into practice! 18 I am not talking about all of you; I know those I have chosen. But the scripture must come true that says, “The man who shared my food turned against me.” 19 I tell you this now before it happens, so that when it does happen, you will believe that “I Am Who I Am.” 20 I am telling you the truth: whoever receives anyone I send receives me also; and whoever receives me receives him who sent me. ”

Reflect

Why did Jesus choose foot washing as a way to teach his disciples about what it means to serve one another? Whose “feet” will you wash today?

Pray

Lord Jesus, by your example you have taught us what it means to serve one another. Give me a humble heart and open my eyes this day to those in need of love and care. In your holy name, I pray. Amen.

Prayer Concern

Podiatrists

No comments:

Post a Comment