Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Episcopalian Daily And Commemmorative Readings And Prayers For Wednesday, 2 March

From satucket.com, wapedia.com and oremus.org:

Daily Readings and Prayers:


Saints/Martyrs/Heroes/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated:

Chad's consecrationCHAD OF LICHFIELD


(2 MAR 672)



Chad, Bishop of Lichfield, is perhaps best known for NOT being Archbishop of York. He was elected and duly installed, but various persons raised objections, and rather than cause division in the Church he withdrew in favor of the other candidate, Wilfrid (see 12 Oct). (The objection was that some of the bishops who had consecrated him--although not Chad himself--were holdouts who, even after the Synod of Whitby had supposedly settled the question in 663, insisted on preserving Celtic customs on the date of celebrating Easter and similar questions, instead of conforming to the customs of the remainder of Western Christendom.) He was soon after made Bishop of Lichfield in Mercia. There he travelled about as he had when Archbishop of York, always on foot (until the Archbishop of Canterbury gave him a horse and ordered him to ride it, at least on long journeys), preaching and teaching wherever he went. He served there for only two and a half years before his death, but he made a deep impression. In the following decades, many chapels, and many wells, were constructed in Mercia and named for him. (It was an old custom to dig a well where one was needed, and to mark it with one's own name or another's, that thirsty travellers and others might drink and remember the name with gratitude.)



by James Kiefer
Another short biography of St. Chad is available from St. Chad's College of the University of Durham.


St Chad, bishop of Mercia (Lichfield) d. 672


Feast day, 2nd March





St Chad was the first bishop of Mercia and Lindsey at Lichfield. He was the brother of Cedd, whom he succeeded as Abbot of Lastingham, North Yorkshire, and a disciple of Aidan who sent him to Ireland as part of his education. Chad was chosen by Oswi, king of Northumbria, as bishop of the Northumbrian see, while Wilfrid, who had been chosen for Deira by the sub-king Alcfrith, was absent in Gaul seeking consecration shortly after the Synod of Whitby (663/4). Faced with a dearth of bishops in England, Chad was unwise enough to be consecrated by the simoniacal Wine of Dorchester, assisted by two dubious British bishops. Wilfrid on his return to England in 666, found that Alcfrith was dead or exiled and retired to Ripon, leaving Chad in occupation. But in 669 Theodore, Archbishop of Canterbury, restored Wilfrid to York and deposed Chad (who retired to Lastingham), but soon reconsecrated him to be bishop of the Mercians. This unusual step was due both to the new opening for Christianity in Mercia and to the excellent character of Chad himself, whom both Eddius and Bede recognised as being unusually humble, devout, zealous and apostolic. Chad's episcopate of three years laid the foundations of the see of Lichfield according to the decrees of Theodore's council at Hertford, which established diocesan organisation. Wulfhere, king of Mercia, gave him fifty hides of land for a monastery at Barow (Lincolnshire); he also established a monastery close to Lichfield Cathedral.



Chad died on March 2nd 672 and was buried in the Church of St Mary. At once, according to Bede, he was venerated as a saint and his relics were translated to the Cathedral Church of St Peter. Cures were claimed in both churches. Bede described his first shrine as 'a wooden coffin in the shape of a little house with an aperture in the side through which the devout can...take out some of the dust, which they put into water and give to sick cattle or men to drink, upon which they are presently eased of their infirmity and restored to health'.



His relics were translated in 1148 and moved to the Lady Chapel in 1296. An even more splendid shrine was built by Robert Stretton, bishop of Lichfield (1360-85) of marble substructure with feretory adorned with gold and precious stones. Rowland Lee, bishop of Lichfield (1534-43), pleaded with Henry VIII to spare the shrine: this was done, but only for a time. At some unknown date the head and some other bones had been separated from the main shrine. Some of these, it was claimed, were preserved by recusants, and four large bones, believed to be Chad's are in the Roman Catholic cathedral of Birmingham. A fine Mercian illuminated Gospel Book of the 8th century called the Gospels of St Chad was probably associated with his shrine, as the Lindisfarne Gospels were associated with the shrine of St Cuthbert; it is now in Lichfield Cathedral Library. The 11th century shrine list mentions the relics of Cedd and Hedda resting at Lichfield with Chad. Thirty-three ancient churches and several wells were dedicated to St Chad, mainly in the Midlands. There are also several modern dedications.



From the Oxford Dictionary of Saints, by David Hugh Farmer, 3rd edition, 1992



(c) David Hugh Farmer 1978, 1987, 1992 by permission of Oxford University Press




Commemmorative Readings:

Psalm 95


A Call to Worship and Obedience

1 O come, let us sing to the Lord;

let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!

2 Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving;

let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!

3 For the Lord is a great God,

and a great King above all gods.

4 In his hand are the depths of the earth;

the heights of the mountains are his also.

5 The sea is his, for he made it,

and the dry land, which his hands have formed.





6 O come, let us worship and bow down,

let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker!

7 For he is our God,

and we are the people of his pasture,

and the sheep of his hand.





O that today you would listen to his voice!



Proverbs 16:1-3


16The plans of the mind belong to mortals,

but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.

2 All one’s ways may be pure in one’s own eyes,

but the Lord weighs the spirit.

3 Commit your work to the Lord,

and your plans will be established



Philippians 4:10-13


Acknowledgment of the Philippians’ Gift10 I rejoice* in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it.* 11Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. 12I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. 13I can do all things through him who strengthens me.



Luke 14:1,7-14


Jesus Heals the Man with Dropsy14On one occasion when Jesus* was going to the house of a leader of the Pharisees to eat a meal on the sabbath, they were watching him closely.

Humility and Hospitality7 When he noticed how the guests chose the places of honour, he told them a parable. 8‘When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet, do not sit down at the place of honour, in case someone more distinguished than you has been invited by your host; 9and the host who invited both of you may come and say to you, “Give this person your place”, and then in disgrace you would start to take the lowest place. 10But when you are invited, go and sit down at the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he may say to you, “Friend, move up higher”; then you will be honoured in the presence of all who sit at the table with you. 11For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.’

12 He said also to the one who had invited him, ‘When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbours, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. 13But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. 14And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.’



Preface of a Saint (2)






PRAYER (traditional language)

Almighty God, whose servant Chad, for the peace of the Church, relinquished cheerfully the honors that had been thrust upon him, only to be rewarded with equal responsibility: Keep us, we pray thee, from thinking of ourselves more highly than we ought to think, and ready at all times to give place to others, (in honor preferring one another,) that the cause of Christ may be advanced; in the name of him who washed his disciples' feet, even the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.



PRAYER (contemporary language)

Almighty God, whose servant Chad, for the peace of the Church, relinquished cheerfully the honors that had been thrust upon him, only to be rewarded with equal responsibility: Keep us, we pray, from thinking of ourselves more highly than we ought to think, and ready at all times to step aside for others, (in honor preferring one another,) that the cause of Christ may be advanced; in the name of him who washed his disciples' feet, your Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.



Lessons revised at GC 2009



Return to Lectionary Home Page



Webmaster: Charles Wohlers



Last updated: 16 Jan. 2010






Scriptural Readings:


Morning Office:

Psalm 119


The Glories of God’s Law

1 Happy are those whose way is blameless,

who walk in the law of the Lord.

2 Happy are those who keep his decrees,

who seek him with their whole heart,

3 who also do no wrong,

but walk in his ways.

4 You have commanded your precepts

to be kept diligently.

5 O that my ways may be steadfast

in keeping your statutes!

6 Then I shall not be put to shame,

having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.

7 I will praise you with an upright heart,

when I learn your righteous ordinances.

8 I will observe your statutes;

do not utterly forsake me.





9 How can young people keep their way pure?

By guarding it according to your word.

10 With my whole heart I seek you;

do not let me stray from your commandments.

11 I treasure your word in my heart,

so that I may not sin against you.

12 Blessed are you, O Lord;

teach me your statutes.

13 With my lips I declare

all the ordinances of your mouth.

14 I delight in the way of your decrees

as much as in all riches.

15 I will meditate on your precepts,

and fix my eyes on your ways.

16 I will delight in your statutes;

I will not forget your word.





17 Deal bountifully with your servant,

so that I may live and observe your word.

18 Open my eyes, so that I may behold

wondrous things out of your law.

19 I live as an alien in the land;

do not hide your commandments from me.

20 My soul is consumed with longing

for your ordinances at all times.

21 You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones,

who wander from your commandments;

22 take away from me their scorn and contempt,

for I have kept your decrees.

23 Even though princes sit plotting against me,

your servant will meditate on your statutes.

24 Your decrees are my delight,

they are my counsellors.



Deuteronomy 4:25-31


25 When you have had children and children’s children, and become complacent in the land, if you act corruptly by making an idol in the form of anything, thus doing what is evil in the sight of the Lord your God, and provoking him to anger, 26I call heaven and earth to witness against you today that you will soon utterly perish from the land that you are crossing the Jordan to occupy; you will not live long on it, but will be utterly destroyed. 27The Lord will scatter you among the peoples; only a few of you will be left among the nations where the Lord will lead you. 28There you will serve other gods made by human hands, objects of wood and stone that neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell. 29From there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find him if you search after him with all your heart and soul. 30In your distress, when all these things have happened to you in time to come, you will return to the Lord your God and heed him. 31Because the Lord your God is a merciful God, he will neither abandon you nor destroy you; he will not forget the covenant with your ancestors that he swore to them.

 
2 Corinthians 11:21-3321To my shame, I must say, we were too weak for that!


But whatever anyone dares to boast of—I am speaking as a fool—I also dare to boast of that. 22Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I. 23Are they ministers of Christ? I am talking like a madman—I am a better one: with far greater labours, far more imprisonments, with countless floggings, and often near death. 24Five times I have received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I received a stoning. Three times I was shipwrecked; for a night and a day I was adrift at sea; 26on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from bandits, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers and sisters;* 27in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, hungry and thirsty, often without food, cold and naked. 28And, besides other things, I am under daily pressure because of my anxiety for all the churches. 29Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I am not indignant?

30 If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 31The God and Father of the Lord Jesus (blessed be he for ever!) knows that I do not lie. 32In Damascus, the governor* under King Aretas set a guard on the city of Damascus in order to* seize me, 33but I was let down in a basket through a window in the wall,* and escaped from his hands.

 
 
Evening Office:
 
Psalm 12


Plea for Help in Evil TimesTo the leader: according to The Sheminith. A Psalm of David.

1 Help, O Lord, for there is no longer anyone who is godly;

the faithful have disappeared from humankind.

2 They utter lies to each other;

with flattering lips and a double heart they speak.





3 May the Lord cut off all flattering lips,

the tongue that makes great boasts,

4 those who say, ‘With our tongues we will prevail;

our lips are our own—who is our master?’





5 ‘Because the poor are despoiled, because the needy groan,

I will now rise up,’ says the Lord;

‘I will place them in the safety for which they long.’

6 The promises of the Lord are promises that are pure,

silver refined in a furnace on the ground,

purified seven times.





7 You, O Lord, will protect us;

you will guard us from this generation for ever.

8 On every side the wicked prowl,

as vileness is exalted among humankind.

 
Psalm 13


Prayer for Deliverance from EnemiesTo the leader. A Psalm of David.

1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me for ever?

How long will you hide your face from me?

2 How long must I bear pain* in my soul,

and have sorrow in my heart all day long?

How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?





3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God!

Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,

4 and my enemy will say, ‘I have prevailed’;

my foes will rejoice because I am shaken.





5 But I trusted in your steadfast love;

my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.

6 I will sing to the Lord,

because he has dealt bountifully with me.

 
Psalm 14


Denunciation of GodlessnessTo the leader. Of David.

1 Fools say in their hearts, ‘There is no God.’

They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds;

there is no one who does good.





2 The Lord looks down from heaven on humankind

to see if there are any who are wise,

who seek after God.





3 They have all gone astray, they are all alike perverse;

there is no one who does good,

no, not one.





4 Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers

who eat up my people as they eat bread,

and do not call upon the Lord?





5 There they shall be in great terror,

for God is with the company of the righteous.

6 You would confound the plans of the poor,

but the Lord is their refuge.





7 O that deliverance for Israel would come from Zion!

When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people,

Jacob will rejoice; Israel will be glad.

 
Matthew 6:24-34


Serving Two Masters24 ‘No one can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.*

Do Not Worry25 ‘Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink,* or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life?* 28And why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, 29yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. 30But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31Therefore do not worry, saying, “What will we eat?” or “What will we drink?” or “What will we wear?” 32For it is the Gentiles who strive for all these things; and indeed your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33But strive first for the kingdom of God* and his* righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

34 ‘So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

 
 
Eucharistic Office:
 
Sirach 17:24-29


24 Yet to those who repent he grants a return,

and he encourages those who are losing hope.





A Call to Repentance

25 Turn back to the Lord and forsake your sins;

pray in his presence and lessen your offence.

26 Return to the Most High and turn away from iniquity,*

and hate intensely what he abhors.

27 Who will sing praises to the Most High in Hades

in place of the living who give thanks?

28 From the dead, as from one who does not exist, thanksgiving has ceased;

those who are alive and well sing the Lord’s praises.

29 How great is the mercy of the Lord,

and his forgiveness for those who return to him!

 
Psalm 32


The Joy of ForgivenessOf David. A Maskil.

1 Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven,

whose sin is covered.

2 Happy are those to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity,

and in whose spirit there is no deceit.





3 While I kept silence, my body wasted away

through my groaning all day long.

4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;

my strength was dried up* as by the heat of summer.

Selah





5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you,

and I did not hide my iniquity;

I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord’,

and you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Selah





6 Therefore let all who are faithful

offer prayer to you;

at a time of distress,* the rush of mighty waters

shall not reach them.

7 You are a hiding-place for me;

you preserve me from trouble;

you surround me with glad cries of deliverance.

Selah





8 I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go;

I will counsel you with my eye upon you.

 
Mark 10:17-27


The Rich Man17 As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, ‘Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ 18Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. 19You know the commandments: “You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; You shall not defraud; Honour your father and mother.” ’ 20He said to him, ‘Teacher, I have kept all these since my youth.’ 21Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, ‘You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money* to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ 22When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.

23 Then Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, ‘How hard it will be for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!’ 24And the disciples were perplexed at these words. But Jesus said to them again, ‘Children, how hard it is* to enter the kingdom of God! 25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.’ 26They were greatly astounded and said to one another,* ‘Then who can be saved?’ 27Jesus looked at them and said, ‘For mortals it is impossible, but not for God; for God all things are possible.’
**************************************************************

Foreward Movement:

Today's Meditation


WEDNESDAY, March 2

2 Corinthians 11:21b-33. I am speaking as a fool.…I am talking like a madman.



Paul got that right. He didn’t actually say anything untrue in this passage—his credentials were indeed impeccable and he truly had experienced the adversities he lists here—but his tone in this passage is foolish, even mad. What redeems it is that Paul knew he was talking foolishness. He did it in the hope that those reading this passage would see themselves in it, for they were speaking foolishness as well, but did not know it.



What sort of foolishness was this? It was boasting—“My faith is purer than yours, my knowledge more refined, my opinions more enlightened, my behavior more moral. I’m a lot closer to God than you are, and if you would be close to God, you should be like me.” We’re usually not as brazen as that, and neither were the Christians at Corinth to whom Paul wrote.



Boasting can be very subtle. But whether brazen or subtle, it happens today just as it did in Paul’s day. There’s a foolishness, a madness, that insists on being right, on being in charge, on getting its way. It divides Christians one from another, making the church a mockery and besmirching its reputation. Forgive us, Lord, and save us from our madness.



PRAY for the Diocese of Mbaise (Province of Owerri, Nigeria)



Ps 119:1-24 * 12, 13, 14; Deuteronomy 4:25-31; Matthew 6:24-34



No comments:

Post a Comment