Friday, March 4, 2011

Episcopalian Daily Readings For Friday, 4 March

From satucket.com, oremus.org and forewardmovement.org:

Daily Readings:


Saints/Martyrs/Heroes/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated:

PAUL CUFFEE


WITNESS TO THE FAITH AMONG THE SHINNECOCK, 1812



A little west of the junction of the old road to Riverhead is a small tract of land owned by the Shinnecock tribe of Indians, although how it came into their possession is unknown. Upon this tract is a plain marble tombstone, surrounded by a neat fence. This marks the last resting place of Rev. Paul Cuffee. The tombstone tells its own story: "Erected by the New York Missionary Society, in memory of the Rev. Paul Cuffee, an Indian of the Shinnecock tribe, who was employed by the Society for the last thriteeen years of his life, on the Eastern part of Long Island, where he labored the fidelity and success. Humble, pious and indefatigable in testifying the gospel of the grace of God, he finished his course with joy on the 7th of March, 1812, aged 55 years and 3 days". . . . The journeyings of Paul Cuffee extended from Poosepatuck to Montauk, and were made on foot.



— from A History of Long Island, from Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vol. 2, by William S Pelletreau (1905).





Note that this Paul Cuffee shold not be confused with a far better known, contemporaneous Paul Cuffee, who lived in the same general area (Westport, Mass.). This Paul Cuffee was a devout Quaker of mixed Indian / Black ancestry who worked to repatriate African-Americans to Sierra Leone.


Readings:



Psalm 100


All Lands Summoned to Praise GodA Psalm of thanksgiving.

1 Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth.

2 Worship the Lord with gladness;

come into his presence with singing.





3 Know that the Lord is God.

It is he that made us, and we are his;*

we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.





4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving,

and his courts with praise.

Give thanks to him, bless his name.





5 For the Lord is good;

his steadfast love endures for ever,

and his faithfulness to all generations.



Isaiah 55:1-5


An Invitation to Abundant Life55Ho, everyone who thirsts,

come to the waters;

and you that have no money,

come, buy and eat!

Come, buy wine and milk

without money and without price.

2 Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,

and your labour for that which does not satisfy?

Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good,

and delight yourselves in rich food.

3 Incline your ear, and come to me;

listen, so that you may live.

I will make with you an everlasting covenant,

my steadfast, sure love for David.

4 See, I made him a witness to the peoples,

a leader and commander for the peoples.

5 See, you shall call nations that you do not know,

and nations that do not know you shall run to you,

because of the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel,

for he has glorified you.


Colossians 3:12-17


12 As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. 13Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord* has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ* dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God.* 17And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

 
John 16:16-24


Sorrow Will Turn into Joy16 ‘A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me.’ 17Then some of his disciples said to one another, ‘What does he mean by saying to us, “A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me”; and “Because I am going to the Father”?’ 18They said, ‘What does he mean by this “a little while”? We do not know what he is talking about.’ 19Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, so he said to them, ‘Are you discussing among yourselves what I meant when I said, “A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me”? 20Very truly, I tell you, you will weep and mourn, but the world will rejoice; you will have pain, but your pain will turn into joy. 21When a woman is in labour, she has pain, because her hour has come. But when her child is born, she no longer remembers the anguish because of the joy of having brought a human being into the world. 22So you have pain now; but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. 23On that day you will ask nothing of me.* Very truly, I tell you, if you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.* 24Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.

Preface of Apostles






PRAYER (traditional language)

Almighty God, who didst empower Paul Cuffee to be a powerful evangelist and preacher and so to win many souls for Christ among the Native Americans of Long Island: Help us to proclaim thy Word with power, in the Name of the same Jesus Christ; who with thee and the Holy Spirit livest and reignest, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.





PRAYER (contemporary language)

Almighty God, you empowered Paul Cuffee to be a powerful evangelist and preacher and so to win many souls for Christ among the Native Americans of Long Island: Help us to proclaim your Word with power, in the Name of the same Jesus Christ; who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.





Thei commemoration adopted provisionally at General Convention 2009



Return to Lectionary Home Page



Webmaster: Charles Wohlers



Last updated: 17 January 2010








Scriptural Readings:


Morning Office:

Psalm 16


Song of Trust and Security in GodA Miktam of David.

1 Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge.

2 I say to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord;

I have no good apart from you.’*





3 As for the holy ones in the land, they are the noble,

in whom is all my delight.





4 Those who choose another god multiply their sorrows;*

their drink-offerings of blood I will not pour out

or take their names upon my lips.





5 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;

you hold my lot.

6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;

I have a goodly heritage.





7 I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;

in the night also my heart instructs me.

8 I keep the Lord always before me;

because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.





9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices;

my body also rests secure.

10 For you do not give me up to Sheol,

or let your faithful one see the Pit.





11 You show me the path of life.

In your presence there is fullness of joy;

in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

 
Psalm 17


Prayer for Deliverance from PersecutorsA Prayer of David.

1 Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry;

give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit.

2 From you let my vindication come;

let your eyes see the right.





3 If you try my heart, if you visit me by night,

if you test me, you will find no wickedness in me;

my mouth does not transgress.

4 As for what others do, by the word of your lips

I have avoided the ways of the violent.

5 My steps have held fast to your paths;

my feet have not slipped.





6 I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;

incline your ear to me, hear my words.

7 Wondrously show your steadfast love,

O saviour of those who seek refuge

from their adversaries at your right hand.





8 Guard me as the apple of the eye;

hide me in the shadow of your wings,

9 from the wicked who despoil me,

my deadly enemies who surround me.

10 They close their hearts to pity;

with their mouths they speak arrogantly.

11 They track me down;* now they surround me;

they set their eyes to cast me to the ground.

12 They are like a lion eager to tear,

like a young lion lurking in ambush.





13 Rise up, O Lord, confront them, overthrow them!

By your sword deliver my life from the wicked,

14 from mortals—by your hand, O Lord—

from mortals whose portion in life is in this world.

May their bellies be filled with what you have stored up for them;

may their children have more than enough;

may they leave something over to their little ones.





15 As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness;

when I awake I shall be satisfied, beholding your likeness.

Deuteronomy 5:1-22


The Ten Commandments5Moses convened all Israel, and said to them:

Hear, O Israel, the statutes and ordinances that I am addressing to you today; you shall learn them and observe them diligently. 2The Lord our God made a covenant with us at Horeb. 3Not with our ancestors did the Lord make this covenant, but with us, who are all of us here alive today. 4The Lord spoke with you face to face at the mountain, out of the fire. 5(At that time I was standing between the Lord and you to declare to you the words * of the Lord; for you were afraid because of the fire and did not go up the mountain.) And he said:

6 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; 7you shall have no other gods before* me.

8 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 9You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and fourth generation of those who reject me, 10but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation* of those who love me and keep my commandments.

11 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

12 Observe the sabbath day and keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you. 13For six days you shall labour and do all your work. 14But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, or your son or your daughter, or your male or female slave, or your ox or your donkey, or any of your livestock, or the resident alien in your towns, so that your male and female slave may rest as well as you. 15Remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the sabbath day.

16 Honour your father and your mother, as the Lord your God commanded you, so that your days may be long and that it may go well with you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

17 You shall not murder.*

18 Neither shall you commit adultery.

19 Neither shall you steal.

20 Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbour.

21 Neither shall you covet your neighbour’s wife.

Neither shall you desire your neighbour’s house, or field, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.

Moses the Mediator of God’s Will22 These words the Lord spoke with a loud voice to your whole assembly at the mountain, out of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, and he added no more. He wrote them on two stone tablets, and gave them to me.

 
2 Corinthians 12:11-21


Paul’s Concern for the Corinthian Church11 I have been a fool! You forced me to it. Indeed you should have been the ones commending me, for I am not at all inferior to these super-apostles, even though I am nothing. 12The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with utmost patience, signs and wonders and mighty works. 13How have you been worse off than the other churches, except that I myself did not burden you? Forgive me this wrong!

14 Here I am, ready to come to you this third time. And I will not be a burden, because I do not want what is yours but you; for children ought not to lay up for their parents, but parents for their children. 15I will most gladly spend and be spent for you. If I love you more, am I to be loved less? 16Let it be assumed that I did not burden you. Nevertheless (you say) since I was crafty, I took you in by deceit. 17Did I take advantage of you through any of those whom I sent to you? 18I urged Titus to go, and sent the brother with him. Titus did not take advantage of you, did he? Did we not conduct ourselves with the same spirit? Did we not take the same steps?

19 Have you been thinking all along that we have been defending ourselves before you? We are speaking in Christ before God. Everything we do, beloved, is for the sake of building you up. 20For I fear that when I come, I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish; I fear that there may perhaps be quarrelling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder. 21I fear that when I come again, my God may humble me before you, and that I may have to mourn over many who previously sinned and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and licentiousness that they have practised.

 
 
Evening Office:
 
Psalm 22


Plea for Deliverance from Suffering and HostilityTo the leader: according to The Deer of the Dawn. A Psalm of David.

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?

2 O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;

and by night, but find no rest.





3 Yet you are holy,

enthroned on the praises of Israel.

4 In you our ancestors trusted;

they trusted, and you delivered them.

5 To you they cried, and were saved;

in you they trusted, and were not put to shame.





6 But I am a worm, and not human;

scorned by others, and despised by the people.

7 All who see me mock at me;

they make mouths at me, they shake their heads;

8 ‘Commit your cause to the Lord; let him deliver—

let him rescue the one in whom he delights!’





9 Yet it was you who took me from the womb;

you kept me safe on my mother’s breast.

10 On you I was cast from my birth,

and since my mother bore me you have been my God.

11 Do not be far from me,

for trouble is near

and there is no one to help.





12 Many bulls encircle me,

strong bulls of Bashan surround me;

13 they open wide their mouths at me,

like a ravening and roaring lion.





14 I am poured out like water,

and all my bones are out of joint;

my heart is like wax;

it is melted within my breast;

15 my mouth* is dried up like a potsherd,

and my tongue sticks to my jaws;

you lay me in the dust of death.





16 For dogs are all around me;

a company of evildoers encircles me.

My hands and feet have shrivelled;*

17 I can count all my bones.

They stare and gloat over me;

18 they divide my clothes among themselves,

and for my clothing they cast lots.





19 But you, O Lord, do not be far away!

O my help, come quickly to my aid!

20 Deliver my soul from the sword,

my life* from the power of the dog!

21 Save me from the mouth of the lion!





From the horns of the wild oxen you have rescued* me.

22 I will tell of your name to my brothers and sisters;*

in the midst of the congregation I will praise you:

23 You who fear the Lord, praise him!

All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him;

stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel!

24 For he did not despise or abhor

the affliction of the afflicted;

he did not hide his face from me,*

but heard when I* cried to him.





25 From you comes my praise in the great congregation;

my vows I will pay before those who fear him.

26 The poor* shall eat and be satisfied;

those who seek him shall praise the Lord.

May your hearts live for ever!





27 All the ends of the earth shall remember

and turn to the Lord;

and all the families of the nations

shall worship before him.*

28 For dominion belongs to the Lord,

and he rules over the nations.





29 To him,* indeed, shall all who sleep in* the earth bow down;

before him shall bow all who go down to the dust,

and I shall live for him.*

30 Posterity will serve him;

future generations will be told about the Lord,

31 and* proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn,

saying that he has done it.

 
Matthew 7:13-21


The Narrow Gate13 ‘Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy* that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it. 14For the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

A Tree and Its Fruit15 ‘Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? 17In the same way, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus you will know them by their fruits.

Concerning Self-Deception21 ‘Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord”, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

 
 
 
Eucharistic Office:
 
Sirach 44:1-13


Hymn in Honour of Our Ancestors *44Let us now sing the praises of famous men,

our ancestors in their generations.

2 The Lord apportioned to them* great glory,

his majesty from the beginning.

3 There were those who ruled in their kingdoms,

and made a name for themselves by their valour;

those who gave counsel because they were intelligent;

those who spoke in prophetic oracles;

4 those who led the people by their counsels

and by their knowledge of the people’s lore;

they were wise in their words of instruction;

5 those who composed musical tunes,

or put verses in writing;

6 rich men endowed with resources,

living peacefully in their homes—

7 all these were honoured in their generations,

and were the pride of their times.

8 Some of them have left behind a name,

so that others declare their praise.

9 But of others there is no memory;

they have perished as though they had never existed;

they have become as though they had never been born,

they and their children after them.

10 But these also were godly men,

whose righteous deeds have not been forgotten;

11 their wealth will remain with their descendants,

and their inheritance with their children’s children.*

12 Their descendants stand by the covenants;

their children also, for their sake.

13 Their offspring will continue for ever,

and their glory will never be blotted out.

 
Psalm 149


Praise for God’s Goodness to Israel

1 Praise the Lord!

Sing to the Lord a new song,

his praise in the assembly of the faithful.

2 Let Israel be glad in its Maker;

let the children of Zion rejoice in their King.

3 Let them praise his name with dancing,

making melody to him with tambourine and lyre.

4 For the Lord takes pleasure in his people;

he adorns the humble with victory.

5 Let the faithful exult in glory;

let them sing for joy on their couches.

 
Mark 11:11-26


11 Then he entered Jerusalem and went into the temple; and when he had looked around at everything, as it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the twelve.

Jesus Curses the Fig Tree12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. 13Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see whether perhaps he would find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14He said to it, ‘May no one ever eat fruit from you again.’ And his disciples heard it.

Jesus Cleanses the Temple15 Then they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who were selling and those who were buying in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold doves; 16and he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple. 17He was teaching and saying, ‘Is it not written,

“My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations”?

But you have made it a den of robbers.’

18And when the chief priests and the scribes heard it, they kept looking for a way to kill him; for they were afraid of him, because the whole crowd was spellbound by his teaching. 19And when evening came, Jesus and his disciples* went out of the city.

The Lesson from the Withered Fig Tree20 In the morning as they passed by, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. 21Then Peter remembered and said to him, ‘Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered.’ 22Jesus answered them, ‘Have* faith in God. 23Truly I tell you, if you say to this mountain, “Be taken up and thrown into the sea”, and if you do not doubt in your heart, but believe that what you say will come to pass, it will be done for you. 24So I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received* it, and it will be yours.

25 ‘Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone; so that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.’*
**************************************************************

Foreward Movement:

Today's Meditation


FRIDAY, March 4

Deuteronomy 5:1-22. Not with our ancestors did the Lord make this covenant, but with us.



Most of us are short-sighted, thinking only of the present moment, the near past, and the near future, and always in relation to ourselves—what happened yesterday or last year to us and what might happen tomorrow or next year to us. We rarely consider generations long ago, generations yet to come, and our relationship to them. But we are part of ongoing, evolving communities stretching back into the past and forward into the future; we are accountable to those who came before us and those who will follow after us. Nation states are based on this understanding.



Christians and Jews are part of such a community, initiated by God and spanning the centuries in both directions. We inherit a legacy from the great saints of history, and future generations will inherit a legacy from us. Across the ages we are accountable to one another—and to God. In today’s reading, Moses reminds the Israelites that the Lord made his covenant on Mt. Sinai not only with their ancestors, but with them as well.



Africans grasp this better than most Americans. The African concept of ubuntu sees all persons—past, present, and future—as linked. We are a single community; we thrive only when all thrive.



PRAY for the Diocese of Mbamili (Prov. of Niger, Nigeria)



Ps 16, 17 * 22; 2 Corinthians 12:11-21; Matthew 7:13-21





No comments:

Post a Comment