Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mennonite Daily Readings And Devotionals For Wednesday, 16 March

From asimpledesire.wordpress.com, thirdway.com, emu.edu, biblegateway.com:

Daily Readings and Devotionals:


A Sip of Scripture


Daily Scripture:

Fear not

Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.



Reference: Matthew 10: 28

Matthew 10:28 (New King James Version)


28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
**************************************************************

Related Blog


A Simple Desire

The weblog "a simple desire" provides brief commentaries on "A Sip of Scripture" from a Mennonite perspective, The commentaries are written by Carole Boshart, of Oregon; Will Fitzgerald, of Michigan; and others on occasion.

a simple desireShort commentary on “A Sip of Scripture” from Third Way Cafe


Soul Killers and Healthy Fears

leave a comment »



“Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. “ ( Matthew 10: 28 )



For anyone who has ever risked looking foolish by has witnessing to their faith, this is for you. For anyone who has wondered whether living an accountable life matters to others, this is for you. We do not know, we cannot know what effect our small actions will have. It is alright to be afraid to open your mouth for the sake of mission. But do not let that fear stop you. It is alright to feel like doing the same small acts of compassion and justice does not add up. But it does, and people are watching and seeing that you are living up to traditional Christian ideals.



Each time we allow fear to stop us from doing what God calls us to do, we die a little inside. Not much, but a little. But over a lifetime that mounts up. And the powers in this world win a tiny margin each time our fears stop us from being all we can and ought to be in Christ. Being missional can be nothing more than facing our fears, and then answering God’s call to live obvious and intentionally Christian lives.



What do you fear missional reader? Embarrassment? Scorn? Loss of resources? Loss of time? Loss of stature in the world’s public eye? What I say to you, I also say to myself. Speak up for Christ! Take a stand for your Savior’s sake! Dare to be the Christian you are called to be!



Oh, but it is hard missional reader! Some days there seems to be more reasons to lay low and be quiet. But those little deaths catch up to me, and I have to push myself to “resurrect” my Christian voice. And I have to come before my Savior and Lord to ask for forgiveness in bypassing, avoiding, and ignoring those calls to witness.



I cannot say for you what you must do and what you are called to. That is between yourself and Christ the Lord. I cannot say what your missional calling is, but I know each of us has one. It is part of the Christian nature. Art McPhee said, “Our kindness, passion for justice, and engagement in peacemaking will be clearly seen by all to be derivatives of God’s mission.” What we are called to do in living a Christian life is, from the outside looking in, mission. And from the inside, that is our souls, looking out is just the every day life of a good Christian.



May you missional reader fear only those things that bring death and destruction to your Christian nature and calling. And may our Lord God to whom all mission is dedicated and focused bring you renewed life for your mission in the world. Selah!



Written by Carole

March 16, 2011 at 12:48 am
**************************************************************

Related Website


Soul Space

You are invited to take some time each day for "Soul Space," written by Wendy Miller and posted on the Eastern Mennonite University website. Each day's guidance centers around a theme for reflection and prayer drawn from the lectionary readings for the week.



Morning-Week One


As darkness fades and dawn awakens

Lord, give me the joy of your saving help

And sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.

In the tender light of morning

Help me as I pray.

In the name of Jesus, bright and morning star. Amen.



Morning by morning God wakens–

wakens my ear

to listen

as those who are taught. Isaiah 50:5



Coming






Loving God,

Help me to hear your call

To be with you –

In the solitude of listening.

Awaken my mind and soul to your work

And your guidance;

help me not to run into busy avoidance,

Open my eyes to see Jesus.

Amen



Silence



Be still.

Open your awareness to God’s presence

Within and all around.

“Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)



Being With- Lent Week Two


Prayer before reading:



Lord Jesus Christ,

You call us to come

To be with you.

By your Spirit help me

To see you,

To hear you,

To receive your Spirit,

To be led by your Spirit.

Amen



Read slowly. Listen deeply. Indwell the scripture.



Season of Lent: Week Two



This week the Lenten journey takes on a pathway inward. This is no wasted travel! Any attention we give to the interior of who we are will gradually transform the way we see and relate to the outer world. And any attention we give to God’s presence and work within us will transform our being and doing in the world around us.



Nicodemus finds himself held captive to the rules and regulations of the religious sect of his outer world as a Pharisee—a religious leader of the Jews. A separatist sect, the Pharisees believe that by observing all facets of the Mosaic Law in Scripture and all additions to that Law contained within the traditions, that they would be fully righteous before God and the people. This strict observance requires that they do not enter the house or eat meals with persons who are “unclean” – persons who do not keep all of the Law and its traditions. Jesus is such a person. Early in his ministry “many tax collectors and sinners” come and sit with him and his disciples in Matthew’s house, Matthew who is also a tax collector; and it is the Pharisees who call such social behavior into question (Matthew 9:9-13), For the Pharisees those who collect taxes from the Jews on behalf of the Roman government are unclean, and therefore untouchable. For Jesus, these are the very ones he is here to welcome and receive.



This leader of the Jews, Nicodemus, feels drawn to this Rabbi (teacher) Jesus—clean or unclean—and so he comes under cover of darkness and seeks Jesus out, saying: “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do apart from the presence of God.” There is a certain logic here, a logic which rests on Nicodemus’ knowledge of the Hebrew narratives of God’s, the children of Israel. A life stream of signs and wonders circulates throughout these stories, a life stream which signals God’s presence and power. Abraham and Sarah learn this as they enter into this life stream and learn slowly to trust the presence and action of God in the midst of the impossible. This same life stream signals God’s presence and power in Jesus’ life and doings, through the indwelling of the Spirit of God.



It is to this indwelling that Jesus draws Nicodemus’ attention. And our attention. All of the gospel narratives contain an invitation for us to enter and to be met by this One who welcomes and receives our presence. Jesus calls us to journey beyond the limits of our logic and to be receptive to the birthing and life-making presence of the Holy Spirit. To welcome and receive the wind of the Spirit. Here Jesus is taking us into the realm of heavenly things.



If we don’t understand, that is where we are. But this Jesus comes to where we are, and invites us to trust that God comes in the Spirit, birthing the new creation within us – and thus bringing the kingdom of God within and among us in the world.





Season of Lent: Week Two





3/14 Monday: John 3:1-6

3/15 Tuesday: John 3:7-17

3/16 Wednesday: Psalm 51:1-17

Psalm 51:1-17 (King James Version)




Psalm 51

1Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.



2Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.



3For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.



4Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.



5Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.



6Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.



7Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.



8Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.



9Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.



10Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.



11Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.



12Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.



13Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.



14Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.



15O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.



16For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.



17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.








3/17 Thursday: Genesis 12:1-4a

3/18 Friday: Romans 4:1-5, 13-17

3/19 Saturday: John 3:1-6

3/20 Sunday: John 3:7-17



Responding


The third movement within Soul Space is Responding. Here we shift our focus towards outward engagement.



Monday



Tuesday



Wednesday


Pray for the coming day. Pray for persons who are seeking God; persons who are sensing a need for “something more”, and for the work of the Holy Spirit who sheds Christ’s light on the path of those who are searching for the “way home,” especially for _____________________.



Lord Jesus, Shepherd who seeks,

By your Spirit, be present in our world today.

Companion those who are lost and seeking a way home,

Give light in their darkness, especially to _____________________.

Give them clarity and guidance in the fog of their restlessness.

As they ache for rest in God, lead them home to your loving and merciful Abba who yearns for their return, and waits on the front porch of the kingdom to greet them.



Shepherd me this day to be a patient listener, a hospitable companion, and a guide who helps others discover your presence and work in their lives.



In your great name, Amen



Pray the prayer Jesus taught his disciples:



Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come,

your will be done,

on earth as in heaven.



Give us today our daily bread.

Forgive us our sins

as we forgive those who sin against us.

Save us from the time of trial

and deliver us from evil.



For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever.



Amen.



CLOSING PRAYER



Loving God,

Help me to hear your call

To be with you –

In the night of my seeking.

Awaken my mind and soul to your work

And your guidance.

Help me be receptive to your Spirit, who

Opens my eyes to see Jesus.

Amen



Evening- Week One


Closing the day with gratefulness.



It is a good thing to give thanks to the LORD,

And to sing praises to your Name, O Most High;

To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning

And of your faithfulness in the night season.

Psalm 92:1,2



As I come to the end of this day,



For what am I thankful?



How have I known God’s faithfulness this day?



What do bring to God . . .?



For confession . . .



For forgiveness . . .



For help . . .



For God’s holding.



Read the psalm for this week’s lectionary readings.



Silence



Closing Prayer



Living God,

In you there is no darkness;

Shed upon us through this night the light of your forgiveness,

Your healing and your peace.

Cover us with the blanket of your protection.

When we wake from sleep

May we know once the more the light of your presence,

Through Jesus Christ our Lord,



Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment