Friday, February 10, 2012

American Bible Society Daily Bible Reading and Daily Prayer for Friday, 10 February 2012

From The American Bible Society:


John 5:1-18(Good News Translation)

Come Together in Faith and Proclaim God’s Love and Mercy

Introduction

John 5:1-18: Jesus heals a man on the Sabbath, and his action angers the Jewish authorities who are now determined to kill him.

Today's Scripture: John 5:17

Jesus answered them, “My Father is always working, and I too must work.”

Today's Reading

1 After this, Jesus went to Jerusalem for a religious festival. 2 Near the Sheep Gate in Jerusalem there is a pool with five porches; in Hebrew it is called Bethzatha. 3 A large crowd of sick people were lying on the porches—the blind, the lame, and the paralyzed. 5 A man was there who had been sick for thirty-eight years. 6 Jesus saw him lying there, and he knew that the man had been sick for such a long time; so he asked him, “Do you want to get well?” 7 The sick man answered, “Sir, I don't have anyone here to put me in the pool when the water is stirred up; while I am trying to get in, somebody else gets there first.” 8 Jesus said to him, “Get up, pick up your mat, and walk.” 9 Immediately the man got well; he picked up his mat and started walking. The day this happened was a Sabbath, 10 so the Jewish authorities told the man who had been healed, “This is a Sabbath, and it is against our Law for you to carry your mat.” 11 He answered, “The man who made me well told me to pick up my mat and walk.” 12 They asked him, “Who is the man who told you to do this?” 13 But the man who had been healed did not know who Jesus was, for there was a crowd in that place, and Jesus had slipped away. 14 Afterward, Jesus found him in the Temple and said, “Listen, you are well now; so stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” 15 Then the man left and told the Jewish authorities that it was Jesus who had healed him. 16 So they began to persecute Jesus, because he had done this healing on a Sabbath. 17 Jesus answered them, “My Father is always working, and I too must work.” 18 This saying made the Jewish authorities all the more determined to kill him; not only had he broken the Sabbath law, but he had said that God was his own Father and in this way had made himself equal with God.

Reflect

How did Jesus respond to those who challenged his healing the man on the Sabbath (verse 17)? What does this verse tell you about God? What angered the Jewish authorities (verse 18)? After the man had been healed, why did Jesus tell him to “stop sinning” (verse14)? Once we have received God’s forgiveness, is it hard to stop sinning? Explain.

Pray

Gracious God, even when I sin, you look upon me with love and compassion and offer me forgiveness. Help me when I am weak and tempted to sin again, and remind me that you are “always working,” ready to reach out to me in mercy and love. Amen.

Prayer Concern

Those struggling with temptation

No comments:

Post a Comment