Sunday, January 2, 2011

Malankara Syriac Orthodox Festal Readings For Saturday, 1 January

From malankaraorthodoxchurch.in and biblegateway.com:

Festal Readings for the Circumcision of Our Lord, the Feast of St. Basil, and the Feast of St. Gregory


Saints/Martyrs/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated:  Feast of the Circumcision of Our Lord, the Feast of St. Basil, the Feast of St. Gregory


Scriptural Readings:

◦Evening


■St. Luke 13: 6 - 9

Luke 13:6-9 (King James Version)




6He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.



7Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?



8And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:



9And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.






◦Morning

■St. John9: 4 -7

John 9:4-7 (King James Version)




4I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.



5As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.



6When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay,



7And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.






◦Before Holy Qurbana

■Genesis12 : 1- 9

Genesis 12:1-9 (King James Version)




Genesis 12

1Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:



2And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:



3And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.



4So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.



5And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.



6And Abram passed through the land unto the place of Sichem, unto the plain of Moreh. And the Canaanite was then in the land.



7And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.



8And he removed from thence unto a mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Hai on the east: and there he builded an altar unto the LORD, and called upon the name of the LORD.



9And Abram journeyed, going on still toward the south.






■Deuteronomy10: 12-11: 1

Deuteronomy 10:12-11:1 (King James Version)




12And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,



13To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day for thy good?



14Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the LORD's thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is.



15Only the LORD had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all people, as it is this day.



16Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.



17For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:



18He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment.



19Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.



20Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God; him shalt thou serve, and to him shalt thou cleave, and swear by his name.



21He is thy praise, and he is thy God, that hath done for thee these great and terrible things, which thine eyes have seen.



22Thy fathers went down into Egypt with threescore and ten persons; and now the LORD thy God hath made thee as the stars of heaven for multitude.



Deuteronomy 11

1Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway.






■Ezekiel : 18: 21 -24

Ezekiel 18:21-24 (King James Version)




21But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.



22All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.



23Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?



24But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.






◦Holy Qurbana

■I John 3: 13 - 18

1 John 3:13-18 (King James Version)




13Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.



14We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.



15Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.



16Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.



17But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?



18My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.






■Romans2: 28-3: 8

Romans 2:28-3:8 (King James Version)




28For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:



29But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.



Romans 3

1What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?



2Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.



3For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?



4God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.



5But if our unrighteousness commend the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unrighteous who taketh vengeance? (I speak as a man)



6God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world?



7For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?



8And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just.






■St.Luke 2 :21

Luke 2:21 (King James Version)




21And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.






■St. John15: 5 -19

John 15:5-19 (King James Version)




5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.



6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.



7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.



8Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.



9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.



10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.



11These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.



12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.



13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.



14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.



15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.



16Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.



17These things I command you, that ye love one another.



18If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.



19If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

No comments:

Post a Comment