Saturday, January 15, 2011

Roman Catholic Daily Readings For Sunday, 16 January

From CNA, USCCB and Catholic Online:

Daily Readings:


Saints/Martyrs/Feasts/Fasts to be observed/commemmorated/celebrated: 

St. Fursey


Feastday: January 16

648
Irish monastic founder, the brother of Sts. Foillan and Ulan, praised by St. Bede. Fursey was born on the island of Inisguia en Lough Carri, Ire­land, as a noble. He founded Rathmat Abbey, now probably Killursa. In 630 Fursey and his friends went to East Anglia, England, where he founded a monastery near Ugremouth on land donated by King Sigebert. In his later years, Fursey went to France to build a monastery at Lagny, near Paris, France. He was buried in Picardy. St. Bede and others wrote about Fursey’s intense ecstasies.


St. Valerius


Feastday: January 16

453
Hermit and bishop. He lived for many years as a hermit in the area around Sorrento, Italy, but owing to his reputation for goodness and wisdorn, he was proclaimed bishop by the people of the City.


St. Titian


Feastday: January 16

650
Bishop in the outlying regions near Venice, Italy, in a see that no longer exists. He served in the office for more than thirty years.


St. Triverius


Feastday: January 16

550
Hermit. A native of Neustria, Gaul (modern France), he became a hermit at a young age, residing for most of his life near the monastery of Therouanne and Dombes. The French village of Saint Trivier is named in his honor.


St. Dunchaid O'Braoin


Feastday: January 16

988
Abbot on Clanmocnoise, near Westmeath, Ireland. He was a hermit until circa 969, when he became abbot. He died in Armagh.


St. Fulgentius


Feastday: January 16

633
Bishop in Spain, brother of St. Isidore, St. Leander, and St. Florentina. Fulgentius was the bishop of Ecija, in Andalusia, Spain.


Sts. Fusca and Marura


Feastday: January 16

250
Martyrs of Ravenna, Italy. Fusca was a young girl. Maura, her nurse, shared her martyrdom.


St. Henry of Cocket


Feastday: January 16

1127
A Danish hermit who had a hermitage on Cocket, an island off the coast of Northumbria, England. He lived under the director of the monks of Tynemouth.


St. Honoratus


Feastday: January 16

350-429
Archbishop of Aries, France. He was born in Lorraine to a Roman consular family. After becoming a Christian, Honoratus studied monasticism in Greece with his brother Venantius and St. Caprosius. Returning to France, he founded Lerins Abbey about 400, and in 426 was forced to become archbishop of Arles


St. Honoratus


Feastday: January 16

6th century
Benedictine abbot founder of Fondi Monastery on the confines of Latium and Campania, Italy. Pope St. Gregory I the Great recorded his life.


St. James of Tarentaise


Feastday: January 16

429
A Syrian, the first bishop of Tarentaise, and a disciple of St. Honoratus. He is venerated at Chambery, France, as an apostle of Savoy.


St. Liberata


Feastday: January 16

5th century
Virgin sister of St. Honorata and St. Epiphanius of Pavia, Italy.


St. Melas


Feastday: January 16

385


Bishop of Rhinocolura, near the boundary between Egypt and Palestine on the Mediterranean Sea. He was cruelly abused and imprisoned by the Arian heretics.


Scriptural Readings:

First Reading - Is 49:3,5-6

3 And he said to me: Thou art my servant Israel, for in thee will I glory.5 And now saith the Lord, that formed me from the womb to be his servant, that I may bring back Jacob unto him, and Israel will not be gathered together: and I am glorified in the eyes of the Lord, and my God is made my strength.  6 And he said: It is a small thing that thou shouldst be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to convert the dregs of Israel. Behold, I have given thee to be the light of the Gentiles, that thou mayst be my salvation even to the farthest part of the earth.

Second Reading - 1 Cor 1:1-3

1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Sosthenes a brother, 2 To the church of God that is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that invoke the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, in every place of theirs and ours. 3 Grace to you, and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ

Psalm - Ps 40:2,4,7-10

2 With expectation I have waited for the Lord, and he was attentive to me.4 And he put a new canticle into my mouth, a song to our God. Many shall see, and shall fear: and they shall hope in the Lord7 Sacrifice and oblation thou didst not desire; but thou hast pierced ears for me. Burnt offering and sin offering thou didst not require: 8 Then said I, Behold I come. In the head of the book it is written of me 9 That I should do thy will: O my God, I have desired it, and thy law in the midst of my heart. 10 I have declared thy justice in a great church, lo, I will not restrain my lips: O Lord, thou knowest it.

No comments:

Post a Comment