Monday, May 9, 2011

Greek Orthodox Church Daily Readings For Friday, 6 May

From goarch.com:

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +




Daily Scripture Readings and Lives of the Saints for Friday, May 6, 2011



Fast Day (Wine and Oil Allowed)



Readings for today:



Acts of the Apostles 5:1-11

John 5:30-47; 6:1-2



Feasts and Saints celebrated today:



2nd Friday after Pascha

Job the Prophet

Our Holy Father Seraphim the Struggler of Mt. Domvu





Epistle Reading



The reading is from Acts of the Apostles 5:1-11



IN THOSE DAYS, a man named Ananias with his wife Sapphira sold a

piece of property, and with his wife's knowledge he kept back some of

the proceeds, and brought only a part and laid it at the apostles'

feet. But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie

to the Holy Spirit and to keep back part of the proceeds of the

land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after

it was sold, was it not at your disposal? How is it that you have

contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

When Ananias heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear

came upon all who heard of it. The young men rose and wrapped him up

and carried him out and buried him. After an interval of about three

hours his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. And Peter said

to her, "Tell me whether you sold the land for so much." And she

said, "Yes, for so much." But Peter said to her, "How is it that you

have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? Hark, the feet

of those that have buried your husband are at the door, and they

will carry you out." Immediately she fell down at his feet and died.

When the young men came in they found her dead, and they carried her

out and buried her beside her husband. And great fear came upon the

whole church, and upon all who heard of these things.



(c) 2011 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America



Gospel Reading



The reading is from John 5:30-47; 6:1-2



The Lord said to the Jews who came to him: "I can do nothing on my

own authority; as I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I

seek not my own will but the will of the Father who sent me. If I bear

witness to myself, my testimony is not true; there is another who bears

witness to me, and I know that the testimony which he bears to me is

true. You sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth. Not that

the testimony which I receive is from man; but I say this that you

may be saved. He was a burning and shining lamp, and you were willing

to rejoice for a while in his light. But the testimony which I have

is greater than that of John; for the works which the Father has

granted me to accomplish, these very works which I am doing, bear me

witness that the Father has sent me. And the Father who sent me has

himself borne witness to me. His voice you have never heard, his form you

have never seen; and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you

do not believe him whom he has sent. You search the scriptures,

because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that

bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have

life. I do not receive glory from men. But I know that you have not the

love of God within you. I have come in my Father's name, and you do

not receive me; if another comes in his own name, him you will

receive. How can you believe, who receive glory from one another and do

not seek the glory that comes from the only God? Do not think that I

shall accuse you to the Father; it is Moses who accuses you, on whom

you set your hope. If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for

he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you

believe my words?"



After this Jesus went to the other side of the Sea of Galilee, which is

the Sea of Tiberias. And a multitude followed him, because they saw

the signs which he did on those who were diseased.



(c) 2011 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America





Job the Prophet



Reading from the Synaxarion:



This faithful servant of God, the most perfect icon of all virtue, and

especially of patience, was the son of Zare and Bosorra, and was the fifth

from Abraham. He was true, blameless, just, devout, and abstained from

every evil thing. He was very wealthy and blessed by God in all things,

as was none other of the inhabitants of the land of Ausis, his

homeland, which lies between Idumea and Arabia. But by divine permission,

that he might be tried, he was suddenly deprived of his children,

wealth, glory, and every consolation, and was covered with grievous sores

over all his body. Some say that he endured courageously in this

unparalleled calamity for seven whole years. Then, by divine blessing, he was

restored again to a prosperity even more illustrious than the first.

Having lived after his affliction for 170 years, he reposed full of days

at the age of 240, in the year 1350 B.C. Others say that his

affliction lasted only one year, and that he lived thereafter 140 years,

living 210 years altogether.



Apolytikion in the First Tone

On beholding the riches of Job's virtues, the enemy of the righteous

contrived to despoil them; and though he cast down the tower of the Saint's

body, he could not plunder the wealth of his spirit, for he found the

soul of that blameless one to be fully armed; but as for me, he hath

stripped me and led me captive away. Hasten, then, before the end, rescue

me from the wily one, O Saviour, and save me.



Kontakion in the Plagal of the Fourth Tone

Thou wast shown forth as blameless, true, God-fearing, just, and

sanctified, O thou much-suffering Prophet, all-glorious servant of God, most

righteous Job; by thy valiant endurance and thy patience thou gavest

instruction to the world. For this cause we all honour and praise thine

all-holy memory.



This content is under copyright and is used with permission, all rights reserved:

Reading (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Brookline, MA

Apolytikion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Brookline, MA

Kontakion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Brookline, MA



No comments:

Post a Comment